Hunt’s withdrawal from the event completes the main card’s total transformation: Not one current matchup was originally scheduled for the all-heavyweight pay-per-view. The massive shakeup was triggered last month when Alistair Overeem withdrew from his scheduled main event with dos Santos and Mir was instead granted the title shot.
Johnson steps in on just nine days’ notice to face the lanky Dutchman. The 34-year-old last competed May 5, when he handed Pat Barry a devastating knockout defeat at UFC on Fox 3. The victory marked Johnson’s second UFC victory; he was also triumphant in his Jan. 28 Octagon debut against Joey Beltran at UFC on Fox 2. Known for his clubbing hooks and uppercuts, Johnson owns 15 of his 17 wins by way of knockout.
“I heard last night there was a chance I could get this fight and I accepted right away,” Johnson stated in an official release. “You don’t get chances like this too much in life, so when you are lucky, you make the most of it. I took one week off after my last fight and then went back to the gym.”
Struve enters the contest after finishing Barry and Dave Herman in back-to-back bouts. The tallest man in the UFC, Struve has competed for the Las Vegas-based promotion 10 times since his debut in 2009, compiling an Octagon record of 7-3. The Dutchman’s three UFC defeats have come against stiff competition, as “The Skyscraper” was knocked out by dos Santos, Roy Nelson and Travis Browne.view original article >>
Watch Fabricio Werdum defeat Mark Hunt for the UFC heavyweight interim title at UFC 180. read news >>
UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>
UFC officials today announced that Mark Hunt will no longer compete in the promotions’s return to Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Three days removed from his most recent fight and Fabricio Werdum has already been booked for his next trip to the Octagon. Following a quick submission win over late notice replacement Walt Harris a read news >>
Mark Hunt issued an expletive-filled message to UFC President Dana White after the heavyweight fighter was removed from the UFC Fight Night show in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 19. Hunt's message to Wh read news >>
Mark Hunt knows exactly why he was pulled from the UFC Fight Night card in Australia although his excuse most likely doesn't jive with the reasons the promotion gave him the hook. On Tuesday, Hunt wa read news >>
Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>
Can the UFC sideline a fighter for writing about symptoms of brain trauma? What precedent does that set? That and more in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Apparently, being called a bald-headed prick isn’t enough to ruffle UFC President Dana White’s feathers.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Watch the UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference Live Stream on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>