#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Rizin 7 #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Pancrase #Kevin Lee

Marcus Davis and Jeremy Stephens at UFC 125They say you can’t go home again, but for former UFC and current Bellator fighter Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis, he gets a chance to do so when he returns to Bangor, Maine, for the NEF promotion on Saturday night.

“I’ve only fought in Maine as an MMA fighter twice,” said Davis. “I’m the only main card UFC fighter left. But no, there’s no pressure on me (fighting in front of my hometown crowd). I’ve just got to go out there and do what I do and come out with a victory.

“For me to grow the sport I love, the sport that takes care of my family and to grow my brand and schools here, it only makes sense to try to promote the hell out of MMA here as much as I can.”

Davis is returning to Maine following a disappointing Bellator debut in March where he ended up with a no contest due to his opponent, Waachiim Spiritwolf, being unable to continue after what initially appeared to be an accidental knee strike to the groin.

“As far as the match goes, I feel like I was in his head and honestly I think he took the coward’s way out,” said Davis of Spiritwolf. “His people are saying it was a low blow, but the referee couldn’t really see what had happened and assumed it was a low blow, but if you watch any of the video footage from the side, it completely shows all the kinetic energy and everything went right into his stomach.

“The doctor’s findings were that he had a panic attack in there. Anyway, it’s over. It’s disappointing that a victory got stolen from me basically because basically he was in over his head.”

Davis hopes Saturday’s bout against Darrius Heyliger will have a different outcome, even if to him the bout is a lot more difficult than people might expect.

“On paper it looks like the veteran guy against the guy that’s relatively new, but the thing is, it’s a horrible match-up for me stylistically and size-wise,” said Davis. “He’s six-foot-two and I never do well with guys over six feet (because) everybody knows I’ve got a short range. He’s a really good striker with a wrestling background that’s won by all means and comes from a very tough camp who have all done well in Maine; so stylistically it’s a nightmare for me.

“What I need to do to win is I need to go in there and control the pace and I’ve got to make him make a mistake and do the things I do best and not try to force anything.”

Should Davis get past Heyliger healthy, he told MMAWeekly.com he intends to move to lightweight full-time and return to Bellator later this year for what could very well be his last shot at glory.

“I’m going to finish out my career at lightweight as long as my body maintains it,” he said. “This year coming up, I’m going to go in the Bellator tournament and win my three fights and would like to be able to face Michael Chandler if he’s still champ at that time.

“I’d like a crack at (Chandler) and see what happens and then maybe a year or two after that hang my hat up in Bellator and finish up my career with them.”

Comments

Video: Nikita Krylov crushes former Bellator champ Emanuel Newton, stays perfect post-UFC

Nikita Krylov remained perfect in his post-UFC career when he defeated former Bellator champ Emmanuel Newton at Fight Nights Global 77.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Charles Rosa Looks To Break Familiar Pattern In Japan

Charles Rosa’s UFC career has seen the star continually win at home in Boston, while losing his matches when he fights on the road. Still, each of those road losses resulted in performance bonuses, w read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 183 pre-event facts: Roy Nelson moves to Bellator with several UFC records in hand

For more on the numbers behind the fights, check below for 30 pre-event facts about Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

UFC vet John Howard headlines CES MMA 46 vs. Roger Carroll in Rhode Island

Former CES MMA middleweight champion John Howard, a 14-fight UFC veteran, is returning to the promotion to take on Roger Carroll in October.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Plans To Put It All Together Against Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 183 | MMAWeekly.com

On September 23, Adam Piccolotti (9-0) will step into the cage for the first time in 10 months when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (21-3) at Bellator 183. read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>