#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo

MFC MW Champ Elvis MutapcicComing back from injury is never easy, but when you had the kind of year in 2012 that Elvis “The King” Mutapcic had, it makes things a little less painful.

In three fights, Mutapcic managed to finish all three opponents and in the process he captured the MFC middleweight championship.

“I would have liked to have gotten another fight in and not had so much space in between fights coming off injury and all that, but I think the year went pretty good,” said Mutapcic.

“I feel like every time I take a little bit of time off and I come back, I come back better, so that was definitely the case last year.”

Mutapcic told MMAWeekly.com that his win over Joseph Henly in October was especially rewarding for multiple reasons.

“Joseph had a big name from The Ultimate Fighter – that I tried out for and didn’t make past the first round – so to beat somebody like him that was on the show, it feels pretty good,” said Mutapcic. “And to get that strap around my waist made it so much better.”

Mutapcic’s first fight of 2013 and his first title defense will come against another TUF alum in Sam Alvey in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, live on AXS TV on Friday night.

“He feels he matches up well with me and I feel the same way,” said Mutapcic of Alvey. “He is a wrestler who prefers to stand and strike, and I’ve heard in the past that he’s very confident in his striking, so there’s a good chance blows will get traded.

“I think I’m more of a technical overall striker than him, and even though he’s a wrestler, I’m very confident in my wrestling and very confident on the ground too, if he wants to take it there, which I don’t think he will unless he gets hurt. But then again we’ll see how it goes and how he reacts.”

Being that it is his first title defense, Mutapcic was asked if he felt any additional pressure, to which he responded, “I really don’t think there’s any added pressure.

“(Being a main event) it’s a five-round fight either way you look at it. And it’s another fight against a tough opponent, so if there’s any added pressure it’s not because it’s a title fight.”

For Mutapcic the goal for 2013 is simple, pursue his MMA career more seriously and take things as they come.

“I’m reassessing after every fight to see where I’m at,” he said. “At the same time, I’d love to become a full-time fighter by the end of this year. That’s the main goal. Then again, I’m going to go one fight at a time and see where it gets me.”

Comments

Bobby Moffett Expects 'Fight of the Night' in LFA 20 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Bobby Moffett (9-2) will finally get to have his first fight of the year when he takes on Nate Jennerman (9-2) in the LFA 20 co-main event on August 25. read news >>

From mom's death to bad knee: Talita Nogueira's rough road to long-awaited Bellator debut

A lot went into finally making it here, but undefeated featherweight Talita Nogueira is happy and healthy ahead her Bellator debut.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Purse: Projected Prize-Money Payouts Before Fight

After plenty of buildup, Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor will finally battle in the ring Saturday night. Of course, their prize money has nothing to do with the result of the upcoming bout. The t read news >>

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Results: Round-by-Round Analysis and Recap

After all of the hype and bluster, we have finally made it—Mayweather vs. McGregor is finally here. UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor looks to shock the sporting world with a victory over 49-0 read news >>

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor play-by-play and live coverage (6 p.m. ET)

“The Money Fight” between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is finally here, and MMAjunkie has you covered live from Las Vegas.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Last-Minute Betting Advice for Superfight

Finally, after over a year of negotiating and hype, Floyd Mayweather Jr. is set to face Conor McGregor on Saturday evening at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena in Nevada and on Showtime pay-per-view. Mayweat read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight Time: PPV Coverage Info and Fight Preview

The most interesting fight of the year has finally arrived, with Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor just hours away from finally meeting in the ring. The pay-per-view event of the year has always be read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: How a Ringside Doctor Might Save Conor from Injury

Combat athletes are not like the average person. They're millionaires—sometimes billionaires—who spend their prizefighting days in racing clock and calendar to make as much money as they can before b read news >>

Dawson finally able to pursue dream job

Last week was a good one for Grant Dawson. Just days removed from an Aug. 15 win over Adrian Diaz that pushed his pro MMA record to 12-1 and earned him a UFC contract, the Missouri featherweight got read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>