#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Nate Diaz

The crowd may have booed his efforts, but Lyoto Machida nevertheless felt certain of victory before hearing his name called.

The Brazilian picked up a split decision over former Strikeforce king Dan Henderson on Saturday in the UFC 157 co-main event at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Though the bout was largely devoid of action, Machida believed he was fully deserving of the victory.

“I felt that I won the fight, because in my score, I kneed him many times. I kicked him. I took him down,” Machida told Fox Sports after his win. “In the third round, he didn’t take me down. I slipped, and he took advantage of this. I felt I won the three rounds, and I was very surprised by the split decision.”

Henderson never seemed to get started standing, as his offense was stifled by the karateka’s sharp defense. Each time Henderson charged forward in an effort to land one of his patented right hands, Machida quickly retreated to avoid the blows and occasionally countered with straight shots of his own.

“It was my game plan to keep the fight standing up and to avoid the ground position and his right hands,” said Machida. “Look at my face. Nothing. [He kicked me] just a little bit in the legs, but I can put ice on that and it will go away soon. I can make my distance, and I kick hard. I didn’t let him grab me, and I [avoided] a lot of wrestling.”

Machida did find himself on the bottom during one exchange in the final frame, as Henderson used the former champion’s slip to force him to the canvas. Machida’s guard proved difficult to penetrate for the two-time Olympian, however, and the southpaw avoided taking any major damage before scrambling to his feet. With his vertical base regained, Machida opened up slightly more in the bout’s final two minutes in an effort to steal back a round in which he felt he was trailing.

“When I slipped, he took advantage and kept the fight on the ground just to [score] points,” said Machida. “I thought, ‘I have to keep the fight standing up and be more aggressive and try to knock him out.’”

With the victory in his rearview mirror, Machida is eyeing a shot at the UFC light heavyweight championship. Whereas the Brazilian turned down a short-notice title fight with Jon Jones last year, Machida said he is now eager to receive another crack at the gold.

I hope [I am next in line for a title shot],” said Machida. “It depends on the boss, Dana White, but for me, it’s good. I will [ask for the fight].”

Galleries

Lyoto Machida Fights

• a year ago

Dan Henderson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC-Rotterdam results: Darren Till strikes, showboats his way past Bojan Velickovic in crowd pleaser

English welterweight Darren Till remained unbeaten as a professional, flashing his confidence and creativity in an exciting decision win.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 draws announced sellout of 16,232 in Edmonton debut despite losing Johnson-Borg

Saturday’s UFC 215 attendance drew an announced sellout crowd for the promotion’s debut in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Issues Lengthy Statement Blasting UFC 215 Scoring | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko is not going quietly after dropping a split decision to Amanda Nunes. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 draws announced crowd of 7,005 in Pittsburgh for lowest 2017 live gate

UFC Fight Night 116 had the lowest live gate of the year. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko 'Frustrated' By Split Decision Loss, Wants Third Fight with Amanda Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko left UFC 215 with disappointment on her face after a back and forth battle against women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes ended in a split decision loss. It was a tactical fi read news >>

Before UFC-Pittsburgh headliner, watch Luke Rockhold's 2015 bout with Lyoto Machida

Back in 2015, former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold picked up his third “Performance of the Night” bonus in four fights when he took on Lyoto Machida. Check out the full fight.Filed under: News, read news >>

Amanda Nunes Edges Out Valentina Shevchenko by Split Decision in UFC 215 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes went five rounds for the first time in her career as she edged out No. 1 ranked contender Valentina Shevchenko to earn her second straight title defense as women's bantamweight champion read news >>

Amanda Nunes Beats Valentina Shevchenko by Split Decision at UFC 215

The Amanda Nunes era of women's bantamweight MMA continued at UFC 215 on Saturday. The Lioness defended her belt against bitter rival Valentina Shevchenko, winning by split decision in the main event read news >>

Justin Ledet was not amused by his UFC-Pittsburgh win being scored a split decision

The look on Justin Ledet’s face said it all.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Watch Luke Rockhold Destroy Lyoto Machida (UFC Pittsburgh Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is back after a year off to face David Branch in the main event of Fight Night Pittsburgh on September 16. read news >>