#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #GSP #Michael Bisping

Lyoto Machida didn't escape the cage unscathed. | File photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Lyoto Machida’s title prospects may now hinge upon the health of his left foot.

The Brazilian injured his oft-used appendage in the main event of UFC Fight Night 36, in which “The Dragon” took a unanimous decision from Gegard Mousasi at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil.

“I don’t know exactly what happened, but maybe in the third round I did some kicking, and he defended with his knee,” Machida told Fox Sports after the victory. “I don’t know if I broke my foot. I just tried to keep my focus on the fight, because I knew he was a tough opponent, and I tried my best.”

Machida used that left foot expertly throughout the contest, dictating distance and connecting with kicks both high and low over the course of the 25-minute contest.

“Sometimes [Mousasi] keeps his hands down, and I saw that I could kick him,” said Machida. “I started to kick his head, his body and his leg. I know he’s a good opponent who fought in K-1, but I’m very confident in my kicks.”

The victory marked Machida’s second appearance at 185 pounds after an extended run at light heavyweight, during which he captured and lost the UFC title. The karate black belt was even more impressive in his middleweight debut this past October, when he knocked out former training partner Mark Munoz with a first-round head kick.

“I’ve found my weight. Before, when I fought at 205, there were a lot of big guys,” said Machida. “In this class, I feel like a big guy. Mousasi, for example, is shorter than me. I can fight against everybody, and it’s no problem for me, because I can put my technique and my strength together.”

Machida now stands as one of two apparent top contenders for the middleweight crown, with Ronaldo Souza serving as the other potential challenger for the winner of Chris Weidman’s upcoming title defense against Vitor Belfort. While the condition of Machida’s foot is still unknown, the karateka said he will be ready for whatever the UFC has planned.

“I don’t know who deserves the title shot,” said Machida. “Dana White is the boss, and he can decide everything. I think I deserve the title shot, too. We’ll see.”

Galleries

Lyoto Machida Fights

• a year ago

Gegard Mousasi Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 119 Results: Derek Brunson Finishes Lyoto Machida Via TKO

One massive left hand from Derek Brunson ruined the return of Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida in front of a stunned audience at Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo in the main event of UFC Fight Night 119 read news >>

Dustin Poirier's neck was a little sore, but without Mike Brown, it could've been worse

• 16 hours ago

Dustin Poirier left a recent UFC headliner with a sore neck, but if it weren’t for Mike Brown, he could’ve left with a loss too.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

After KO loss, ex-UFC-champ Lyoto Machida says 'giving up will never be an option'

Four days after suffering the quickest loss of his MMA career, Lyoto Machida took to social media to thank his fans for the continuous support and reassure them that “The Dragon” is back.Filed under: read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Tells Haters of Bellator Debut 'They Can Suck It'

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator MMA debut this weekend left a lot of people feeling sour. Despite struggling to mount any offense on ex-champion Alexander Shlemenko because of bad swelling around his right read news >>

Derek Brunson vs. Lyoto Machida: UFC Sao Paulo Main Event Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Preview the UFC Fight Night 119 main event between middleweights Derek Brunson and Lyoto Machida ahead of UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo this Saturday. read news >>

UFC Sao Paul Workouts: Lyoto Machida, Derek Brunson, Demian Maia, and Colby Covington | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night 119 main and co-main event fighters put on quite the show for fans in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Wednesday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 headliner Lyoto Machida credits new life outside octagon for getting him back

For the first time in his career, Lyoto Machida is learning what it’s like to deal with a lengthy layoff. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Is the Legendary Lyoto Machida, Once the UFC's Karate Kid, on His Last Legs?

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida is back on Saturday, returning to the Octagon after an 18-month absence stemming from a failed drug test. But for how much longer can he soldier on read news >>

Lyoto Machida Fired Up at UFC Sao Paulo Media Day Face-Offs (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) The UFC Sao Paulo media day face-offs were pretty straight forward, save for one fighter that you might not expect to get fired up: Lyoto Machida. The UFC Fight Night 119 fighters c read news >>

Video: UFC-Sao Paulo media day face-offs, where Lyoto Machida scared the (expletive) out of everyone

The big names atop Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 119 card got together to meet the media today – and to get face to face with afterward.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>