#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #GGG

Lyoto-Machida-UFC-129_9775-450x260Former UFC light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida is the highest ranked 205-pound fighter on the UFC roster behind champion Jon Jones.   He was defeated by Jones at UFC 140 by submission and hasn’t yet been able to work his way back to a title fight.

When a knee injury forced Dan Henderson out of the UFC 151 title fight with Jones, Machida was given the opportunity to step in as Henderson’s replacement, but declined, citing a lack of proper time to prepare.

When he faced Henderson at UFC 157, the match-up was billed as a top contender’s bout, but, although Machida defeated Henderson, Alexander Gustafsson will face Jones at UFC 165 in September, instead.

Machida takes on top-ten ranked Phil Davis at UFC 163 on Saturday and hopes to show he’s ready for a rematch with Jones.

“I was a bit frustrated because it was the second time that I get this opportunity and I wasn’t given the opportunity to go for the title bout, so this Saturday I would like to gratify that I am, in fact, ready to go after the title,” said Machida during the UFC 163 pre-fight press conference in Brazil on Thursday.

Stylistically, it’s a striker vs. wrestler clash and Machida has been successful when facing wrestlers in the past.  He holds wins over Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Rashad Evans, Ryan Bader and Dan Henderson, all accomplished grapplers.

“The strategy for this fight is something which I am a fighter which I prefer striking.  I prefer fighting standing up.  Phil Davis is someone who is going to try to take me down, so I just have to make him play my game.  That’s what I’m going to try to do.  I’m going to make him play my game.  That’s my main strategy,” said the former champion.

Machida has, however, prepared for the possibility of being taken down.

“We always work out for all situations.  I’ve also worked out for this situation of having to do three or four rounds on fighting wrestling against the cage.  I’m ready to go down.   I’m ready to stand up.  I’m ready for anything,” he said.

“It’s going to be an MMA – it’s not a wrestling, it’s not a boxing, it’s not a karate fight.  It’s a MMA fight, and that’s what I’m ready for.”

Galleries

Lyoto Machida Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Michel Prazeres earns north-south choke finish of newcomer Mads Burnell

While the victory was marred by a failed trip to the scales, Michel Prazeres did pick up a nice submission over octagon newcomer Mads Burnell.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 results: Rick Glenn overwhelms Gavin Tucker, who earns no mercy from referee

Eleven-year veteran Rick Glenn turned in one of the best performances of his career, battering a previously undefeated Gavin Tucker.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch Amanda Nunes Take Out Sheila Gaff in UFC Debut (UFC 215 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Amanda Nunes' UFC debut in Rio De Janeiro at UFC 163 back in 2013. Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko in the co-main event at UFC 215 on Saturday. read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Germaine de Randamie completes hand surgery with 'no complications'

Ex-UFC champ Germaine de Randamie finally underwent hand surgery, and from all indications it was a success. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Before UFC-Pittsburgh headliner, watch Luke Rockhold's 2015 bout with Lyoto Machida

Back in 2015, former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold picked up his third “Performance of the Night” bonus in four fights when he took on Lyoto Machida. Check out the full fight.Filed under: News, read news >>

Fire-Breathing Luke Rockhold Looks to Reassert Himself as Top UFC Middleweight

Now that Luke Rockhold is finally set to return to the Octagon on Saturday in the main event of UFC Fight Night 116, you think it's possible the disgruntled former middleweight champ might tone thing read news >>

Mike Perry Earns Bonus for Quick KO (UFC Pittsburgh Fighter Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the fighter bonuses following Saturday's UFC Fight Night 116 event in Pittsburgh. Mike Perry, Gregor Gillespie, Jason Gonzalez, and Uriah H read news >>

Watch Luke Rockhold Destroy Lyoto Machida (UFC Pittsburgh Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is back after a year off to face David Branch in the main event of Fight Night Pittsburgh on September 16. read news >>