#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215

Lorenz Larkin did not ask for a soft landing at 185 pounds, and he did not receive one.

Larkin will make his middleweight debut against former EliteXC titleholder and Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Robbie Lawler at Strikeforce “Rockhold vs. Kennedy” on Saturday at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore. The decision to leave the 205-pound division brought with it a new set of challenges for the undefeated 25-year-old.

“It was hard at first with the dieting,” Larkin told Sherdog.com, “but now I’m in a groove and doing well with it.”

The benefits of a change in weight class overshadow any negatives, according to Larkin, who trains out of the Empire Training Center and Millennia MMA camps in California.

“There may be a little change in the speed of my opponents but nothing that’s going to be a big difference,” he said. “My opponents will be smaller and I’ll get a little faster and maintain my power, so, for me, it’s a win-win. My opponents were getting bigger and stronger [at light heavyweight]. When I was on the local circuit, the guys weren’t much bigger than me, but as I moved up in class, they were getting bigger and bigger.”

Lawler poses a serious threat, especially on his feet. The 30-year-old has delivered 16 of his 19 professional victories by knockout or technical knockout. His finishes on 2000 Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland, Dutch striker Melvin Manhoef and former Icon Sport middleweight champion Frank Trigg were particularly vicious and unnerving.

“He’s a hard hitter and very dangerous,” Larkin said. “You definitely can’t let your guard down on him.”

Larkin welcomes the opportunity Strikeforce has placed before him.

“It means everything, because it will be the first big name that I’ll beat,” he said. “I think it will catapult my career. I’m happy with Strikeforce. I want to push myself in this organization and win a title.”

Larkin has not fought since losing to Muhammed Lawal by second-round technical knockout in January. The decision was later ruled a no contest by the Nevada Athletic Commission after “King Mo” tested positive for suspected steroid use, thus restoring Larkin’s unbeaten record. When asked whether or not he learned anything from the experience, Larkin fired a sharp barb across the bow.

“Yes,” he said, “[I learned] how strong you become when you take steroids.”

Having dropped anchor at 185 pounds, Larkin aims to resume what he feels he does best: win fights and entertain the masses.

“I want to go out and put on an exciting performance because it’s what the fans pay to see,” he said. “I mean, they take time out of their day to watch me fight, so I want to go out and deliver a fight that will get the fans going.”

Galleries

Robbie Lawler Fights

• a year ago

Comments

LFA 20 video highlights: Nick Barnes settles for questionable split with Chad Curry

It seemed like Nick Barnes would cruise to a win, but one judge had something to say about that in his LFA 20 main event vs. Chad Curry.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Videos read news >>

Management group settles with Leslie Smith, moves suit against Nate Diaz to federal court

A management lawsuit has been settled against UFC women’s bantamweight Leslie Smith, but Nate Diaz is now being sued in federal court. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Sijara Eubanks, who wasn't about to let 10 pounds deter her

Sijara Eubanks had made the 125-pound cut once and didn’t like it one bit but said “(expletive) it, I’m a flyweight now” when a huge opportunity presented itself.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Did Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee's UFC Interim Title Fight Just Lose 10 Pounds? | MMAWeekly.com

A fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee has been booked for UFC 216. The bout is supposed to crown an interim UFC lightweight champion. According to a Las Vegas billboard, however, it appears the read news >>

Donald Cerrone: Unbeaten Darren Till 'might be more dangerous' than Robbie Lawler

Donald Cerrone knows nothing about UFC Fight Night 118 opponent Darren Till, which is one reason the matchup is so dangerous.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Neil Magny Result: Winner and Reaction from UFC 215

Rafael dos Anjos is here to stay at 170 pounds. Facing Neil Magny in the show's co-main event, the former lightweight champion put on an absolutely dominant performance, scoring a first-round submiss read news >>

Paul Daley: Bellator 183 foe Lorenz Larkin 'below the level of fighter that I'm used to fighting'

Suffice to say, Paul Daley doesn’t think too highly of Lorenz Larkin.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Mike Perry quickly KOs Alex Reyes, calls out Robbie Lawler

Mike Perry scored his second consecutive knockout win, using a devastating knee to finish late replacement Alex Reyes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mike Perry Calls Out Robbie Lawler After UFC Pittsburgh Win | MMAWeekly.com

Mike Perry called out former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler following his UFC Fight Night 116 win over Alex Reyes in Pittsburgh on Saturday. read news >>