#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Quinton Jackson #Fight Night Rotterdam

Matt Hughes at UFC 123

Matt Hughes at UFC 123

It’s difficult to evaluate what went wrong in a fight when you get knocked out in 21 seconds.

It’s even more difficult, mere minutes later, to evaluate a career that has spanned more than 50 fights, and determine where that career is headed.

But that’s exactly where UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes found himself after his fight with B.J. Penn at UFC 123 in Detroit. In an increasingly Internet-centric society that craves up-to-the-second information, Hughes didn’t have immediate answers.

“I don’t know what the plan is now. I had a perfect training camp coming into this. This is one of those fights I would have paid my purse to Dana White to put this fight together,” Hughes told interviewer Joe Rogan in the Octagon after the fight.

Two weeks later, Hughes has the advantage of hindsight looking back on the fight, a rubber match that put the Hawaiian up 2-1 in their trilogy.

“A lot of people have been asking about the fight and how I am doing. Of course, the fight didn’t go like I had planned it,” Hughes wrote in a blog post on Matt-Hughes.com. “He hit me with a hard right hand that I never saw coming. It’s funny how styles make fights and I’m not at all like Frankie Edgar. So it just kind of stinks that B.J. came off two losses (both to Edgar) and then ended up beating me in less than 30 seconds.”

Hindsight doesn’t determine his future, however, and Hughes still hasn’t decided where that future lies, although that sunset in the distance seems to be pulling him ever nearer.

“I don’t know what I’ll do now. I’m definitely going to take the winter off and some of the spring. I had three fights this year, so I’ve just got some other things I want to do; but I will say that this was one big step closer to retirement for me.”

After nearly 13 years, 50-plus fights, and numerous UFC title bouts, it’s safe to say Hughes has earned a few more months to make a decision that affects a major portion of his life.

Comments

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Five bouts set for Fresno card

The UFC's first card in Fresno is starting to take shape, with five bouts made official for the Dec. 9 event at Save Mart Center. read news >>

Hospital honors nurses who cared for UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes after train accident

Matt Hughes returned to the hospital to honor the nurses that cared for him ftera a horrific truck/train collision.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC veteran Kyle Noke has 'that fire again,' announces return from retirement

UFC veteran Kyle Noke is the latest to end a short-lived retirement from MMA competition. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 lineup set with 12 bouts on UFC Fight Pass in Gdansk, Poland

The fight card is set for the UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

7-year UFC vet Rafael 'Sapo' Natal announces retirement

After a 17-fight run with the UFC, Rafael Natal is acquiescing his mom with the hard, but “smart” decision to retire. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Trading Shots: Is it time to abolish the draw in MMA?

Two bouts at UFC 216 ended in draws for the first time in the UFC since 1999. Should MMA take steps to ensure someone goes home a winner?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Aldo's return one of three bouts added to Winnipeg card

The UFC's first featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, begins his road back to the top of the weight class on Dec. 16 when he faces surging contender Ricardo "The Bully" Lamas in a rematch of a 2014 bout read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping walks back retirement talk ahead of UFC 217 title defense

Despite previously stating otherwise, UFC champion Michael Bisping now says he won’t retire after UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rafael Natal Announces Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

A longtime contender to the UFC middleweight championship, Brazilian fighter Rafael "Sapo" Natal has closed the Octagon door on his career. read news >>