#UFC 216 #Rizin 7 #Conor McGregor #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Michael Bisping #Demetrious Johnson

Lloyd Woodard KimuraLloyd Woodard’s nickname may be “Cupcake,” but don’t let the name fool you.  This hungry lightweight entered Bellator’s Season 6 Lightweight Tournament knowing only one speed, and that’s full speed.

If you need proof, look no further than Bellator 62, where Woodard engaged Patricky “Pitbull” Freire in an epic back and forth war that had mixed martial arts fans on the edge of their seats.   In the second round, Woodard was able to stun Freire yet again and then locked in arm-breaking Kimura to get the win.

With the win, it moves the Dogpound Fight Team pupil  to the semifinals of the lightweight tournament at Bellator 66, where he will meet former Judo Olympian Rick Hawn.  And Woodard believes that it’s truly an honor just to get the chance to crack the Judoka upside his head.

“I’m excited for the fight. He knows I want to beat him up. It’s an honor to crack him upside his head and that’s what I’m going out to do.  Everybody knows the way I fight and I don’t know if he’s ever fought somebody like that, but it’s going to be fun to go in there and see.  I wish it was tomorrow because I’m so excited for this.”

Woodard’s excitement to move forward with the tournament cannot be denied. If he could fight Hawn or Chandler tomorrow, he’d jump at the chance.  But for now he will have to get back to the grind of training and plans to outwork anyone in front of him.

If the 27-year-old succeeds against Hawn, the light at the end of the tunnel will be a title shot and a chance at redemption against Michael Chandler, the man who handed him his first and only loss.

“Mike Chandler has made me a better fighter because I got outworked that day and I ain’t going to get outworked another day in my life.  I’m going to work as hard as I have to, to beat him.  I want that rematch and I just can’t wait.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Patricky Freire sees Benson Henderson as tough foe, remains bothered by Josh Thomson

Patricky Freire headlines Bellator 183 against not only a former UFC champion – but also the last guy to beat his own brother. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

What to watch for when Benson Henderson returns vs. Patricky Freire in Bellator 183's headliner

What Benson Henderson and Patricky “Pitbull” Freire need to do to win in Saturday’s Bellator 183 headliner.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Patricky Freire: Nothing personal against Benson Henderson even though he beat my brother

Benson Henderson defeated Patricky Freire’s brother, featherweight champ Patricio, but that doesn’t mean the bigger “Pitbull” is out for revenge at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 183 results: Patricky Freire edges Benson Henderson in chess match

In a fight that frequently dipped into a tactical stalemate, Patricky Freire’s strong late-fight performance may have swayed judges against Benson Henderson in the headliner of Bellator 183.Filed und read news >>

Twitter reacts to Patricky Freire's narrow win vs. Benson Henderson at Bellator 183

See the top Twitter reacts to Patricky Freire’s victory over Benson Henderson in the Bellator 183 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 183 Results: Benson Henderson Loses Split Decision to Patricky Freire

Anytime Benson Henderson enters the cage, you never quite know what to expect. But his Saturday night main event at Bellator 183 in San Jose, California, against Patricky Freire ended with the same r read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 183 post-event facts: Patricky Freire, Goiti Yamauchi produce record work

See all the facts, figures and footnotes to come out of Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bizarre Bellator title triangle: Michael Chandler, Patricky Freire, Brent Primus battle on social media

Patricky Freire thinks he should fight for Brent Primus’ title. Michael Chandler is in the conversation. And they’re all on social media.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Sorry 'Pitbull': Scott Coker says Michael Chandler first for champ Brent Primus

Patricky Freire and Brent Primus might have signed off on a fight, Bellator chief Scott Coker hasn’t forgotten about Michael Chandler.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>