#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #MMA Rocks #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #KSW 40 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams

Liz Carmouche

Heading into Strikeforce Challengers 17 Liz Carmouche is hoping to steal the show.

After making her presence felt in March against Marloes Coenen, Carmouche (5-1) is no longer flying under the radar in the Strikeforce women’s 135-pound division.

Following the loss to Coenen, the Strikeforce brass decided to keep the 27-year-old facing the upper echelon of the division, giving her a fight against former Strikeforce welterweight champion Sarah Kaufman (13-1) at this Friday night’s Strikeforce Challengers 17 fight card in Las Vegas.

The San Diego resident loves the challenges presented to her and feels honored that she has the opportunity to face the top ranked females in her division, all without much experience in the world of MMA

“I learned so much both in the fight with Marloes Coenen and the fight with Jan Finney,” Carmouche told MMAWeekly Radio.

“These are two really experienced women, who have really made a name for themselves in the sport.  So just to have an opportunity to face them, with me being so brand new, was such an honor.  To actually excel and do well was great for me, I’ve learned so much and I’ve improved my game.”

The Strikeforce brass saw a lot of potential in Carmouche that night against Coenen and made the decision to keep giving her top talent in the female’s welterweight division.  But such opportunity comes with a lot of expectations.

“Honestly, when it comes to my teammates, when it comes to my trainers, they don’t put a lot of pressure on me.  The person who puts on the most pressure is myself.  I expect so much of myself.  I expect perfection.

“I push myself to limits that they don’t necessarily, so they don’t necessarily expect me to have to push myself.  They want the best for me certainly but there’s no pressure from them.  They just want me to have a good time and just pick it up the way I want to pick it up.”

Kaufman presents a unique challenge to the 27-year-old, as she is known for her hands and solid takedown defense. Carmouche, however, believes that the two have very similar styles in that they go forward and push the pace.

“I think that our styles are kind of similar.  I mean that our styles are kind of headstrong, keep going, fighting, never stopping, and just brawlers.  She looks like a beast. I’m really looking forward to that, but I see gaps that I hope to capitalize on.”

The main event of Strikeforce Challengers 17 is the final fight in the trilogy between Roger Bowling and Bobby Voelker.  Many pundits feel that while those two fighters are tremendously talented, that the bout with two top fighters like Liz Carmouche and Sarah Kaufman are main event worthy.

“No offense to the main event, but I’m hoping to steal the show and take that away from them.”

Comments

Alexis Davis, Liz Carmouche Meet at Flyweight in Rematch at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of past title challengers will meet in a rematch at 125 pounds when Alexis Davis faces off with Liz Carmouche on Dec. 9 at UFC Fight Night from Fresno, Calif. UFC officials announced the match read news >>

Alexis Davis vs. Liz Carmouche rematch among UFC-Fresno fight-card additions

December’s UFC Fight Night 123 event has a slew of new additions, officials today announced.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Report: Andrea Lee out of UFC 216 vs. Kalindra Faria – and Sarah Kaufman wants in

Not long after finding herself on next week’s UFC 216 card, it appears Andrea Lee will have to wait a while to make her promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derrick Lewis Says He Is 'Not Focused' Heading into UFC 216 Fight Against Werdum

Derrick Lewis is jovial and entertaining on social media, but when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, Texas, Lewis showed off his heart. And the effects of that storm are still weighing on the UFC heavywe read news >>

Kevin Lee to Conor McGregor: 'This is for the Real Lightweight Championship' | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee believes his title fight with Tony Ferguson is for the true lightweight championship and it will reduce the importance of Conor McGregor's belt. read news >>

Beneil Dariush thought he had done enough to beat Evan Dunham at UFC 216

Beneil Dariush was hoping a big win at UFC 216 would help erase at least some of the memory of his most recent prior fight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson was Injured Going into UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

You'd never have known it, but Demetrious Johnson was injured heading into his UFC 216 flyweight title defense against Ray Borg. read news >>