#Justin Buchholz #Duane Ludwig #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #Conor McGregor #Nate Diaz #UFC 211 #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Rory MacDonald #Jon Jones #Bellator 179 #TJ Dillashaw #UFC 202 #Cody Garbrandt

Carlo PraterCarlo “Neo” Prater is a man on a mission following a rocky UFC debut.

The welterweight, formerly out of Brasilia, Brazil, won his last fight by disqualification over Erick Silva, but it was less than ideal. He got overwhelmed by strikes early and the fight was stopped, but the result was later overturned when it was deemed Silva had illegally punched Prater in to the back of the head. Moving forward, Prater wants to wipe this hollow victory from his memory and make a splash at lightweight.

Before entering the UFC, the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt was riding a four-fight win streak, winning all of those fights via submission, including a win over UFC veteran Cameron Dollar.

At UFC on Fuel TV 3 in Fairfax, Va., the 30-year-old believes he prepared well for the hard-nosed, grinding style of T.J. Grant. He faced a similar fighter, losing to former MFC lightweight champion Antonio McKee, but believes that loss pushed him to the next level.

“I’ve tried to work on those things (wrestling), mainly after the McKee fight,” Prater told MMAWeekly Radio.

“That was a great fight for me because it helped me in the long run.  I was very cocky going into that fight.  I was like, ‘I’m going to stuff that guy’s shot. He doesn’t know how good my wrestling is,’ and sure enough, he dumps me on my butt off a blast double.  I was like, ‘oh (expletive) well I guess okay I don’t know, let me get back up and then I’ll show him what’s up,’ and sure enough again and again I wasn’t getting off on my feet like I should’ve.  I made it a bad fight for myself anyways.”

As the band How it Ends would say, “the hardest lesson is the one you learn too late.” And for Prater, his hard lesson came after being overconfident with his wrestling against Mckee.

“After that fight, it was good because I did some things I needed to do; the things that I needed to do, which were mainly to better my wrestling and get better trainers for that.  It was a good fight for me and I know it sounds cliché, you learn a lot more from your losses then you do from your wins and I’ve got a lot of losses, so I’ve learned a lot.”

The Brazilian knows he learned his lesson after the McKee fight, but make no mistake about it, Grant is not McKee and Prater is expecting a more diverse plan of attack.

Having won 16 of his 30 bouts via submission, it’s obvious Prater plans to bring this fight to the mat, but not without showing a new bag of tricks.

“I think we’re both good at pretty much the same thing.  It’s going to make me do new things, hopefully it’s going to make him do new things and mainly tap.  I think it’s going to be a fun fight like that because he’s a well-rounded guy, but his forte is more on the ground, but you never know, a fight is a fight.  He could go out the gate and try to surprise me with some stand-up, you never know but I’ve got my plan.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 211's Henry Cejudo aims to move past 'miserable' experience of consecutive losses

DALLAS – The fight game can change in an instant, and for Henry Cejudo, it’s taken just two fights to go from the man some pegged to dethrone flyweight king Demetrious Johnson to a fighter in despera read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson encourages Ronda Rousey to 'grow the (expletive) up' after losses

Demetrious Johnson is not impressed by the way in which Ronda Rousey, who was once the face of MMA, has conducted herself since a dramatic fall from grace that saw her go from undefeated UFC champion read news >>

Donald Cerrone: If you're not hyped for UFC 213 fight vs. Robbie Lawler, 'then (expletive) you'

Donald Cerrone vs. Robbie Lawler seems destined for “Fight of the Night” honors at UFC 213, maybe even “Fight of the Year.” So why does Cerrone even have to keep selling it?Filed under: Featured, Fea read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor side of Floyd Mayweather fight negotiations a done deal

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has met Dana White’s deadline to finalize his side of the terms for a mega boxing fight with Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

McGregor vs. Mayweather Bout Waiting on Floyd to Agree, Dana White Says

UFC President Dana White said Wednesday night that he has completed negotiations with Conor McGregor in hopes of setting up a showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. later this year. Appearing on TNT's read news >>

Amanda Nunes Wants UFC Featherweight Belt, but Won't Fight Cris Cyborg to Get It | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes still wants to fight for the featherweight title, as long as it isn't Cris Cyborg that she'd have to challenge. read news >>

You're not going to believe this, but UFC Fight Night 111's Colby Covington actually thanks Dong Hyun Kim

Colby Covington wanted a fight. But wanting was a lot easier than getting.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

James Vick grabs bull by horns after UFC 211, gets new contract meeting with Dana White

James Vick was upset he didn’t get a performance bonus for knocking out Marco Polo Reyes at UFC 211. So he took his complaint directly to UFC brass.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Bellator 179 weigh-in results, video: Paul Daley, Rory MacDonald cleared for headliner

Former UFC title challenger Rory MacDonald has been cleared for his Bellator debut, where he’ll take on British slugger Paul Daley in the headlining bout of Bellator 179.Filed under: Bellator, Featur read news >>

Jon Jones To Daniel Cormier: ‘You’re Not a Champion’ | MMAWeekly.com

Despite Daniel Cormier currently possessing the UFC light heavyweight championship, Jon Jones doesn't consider him a champion. read news >>