Carlo PraterCarlo “Neo” Prater is a man on a mission following a rocky UFC debut.

The welterweight, formerly out of Brasilia, Brazil, won his last fight by disqualification over Erick Silva, but it was less than ideal. He got overwhelmed by strikes early and the fight was stopped, but the result was later overturned when it was deemed Silva had illegally punched Prater in to the back of the head. Moving forward, Prater wants to wipe this hollow victory from his memory and make a splash at lightweight.

Before entering the UFC, the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt was riding a four-fight win streak, winning all of those fights via submission, including a win over UFC veteran Cameron Dollar.

At UFC on Fuel TV 3 in Fairfax, Va., the 30-year-old believes he prepared well for the hard-nosed, grinding style of T.J. Grant. He faced a similar fighter, losing to former MFC lightweight champion Antonio McKee, but believes that loss pushed him to the next level.

“I’ve tried to work on those things (wrestling), mainly after the McKee fight,” Prater told MMAWeekly Radio.

“That was a great fight for me because it helped me in the long run.  I was very cocky going into that fight.  I was like, ‘I’m going to stuff that guy’s shot. He doesn’t know how good my wrestling is,’ and sure enough, he dumps me on my butt off a blast double.  I was like, ‘oh (expletive) well I guess okay I don’t know, let me get back up and then I’ll show him what’s up,’ and sure enough again and again I wasn’t getting off on my feet like I should’ve.  I made it a bad fight for myself anyways.”

As the band How it Ends would say, “the hardest lesson is the one you learn too late.” And for Prater, his hard lesson came after being overconfident with his wrestling against Mckee.

“After that fight, it was good because I did some things I needed to do; the things that I needed to do, which were mainly to better my wrestling and get better trainers for that.  It was a good fight for me and I know it sounds cliché, you learn a lot more from your losses then you do from your wins and I’ve got a lot of losses, so I’ve learned a lot.”

The Brazilian knows he learned his lesson after the McKee fight, but make no mistake about it, Grant is not McKee and Prater is expecting a more diverse plan of attack.

Having won 16 of his 30 bouts via submission, it’s obvious Prater plans to bring this fight to the mat, but not without showing a new bag of tricks.

“I think we’re both good at pretty much the same thing.  It’s going to make me do new things, hopefully it’s going to make him do new things and mainly tap.  I think it’s going to be a fun fight like that because he’s a well-rounded guy, but his forte is more on the ground, but you never know, a fight is a fight.  He could go out the gate and try to surprise me with some stand-up, you never know but I’ve got my plan.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on FOX 23 Athlete Outfitting pay: Top earners all suffer losses

DENVER – Fighters from Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $155,000.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Ronda Rousey Broken at UFC 193, According to Holly Holm's Coach

With Ronda Rousey's UFC future in question following consecutive losses, Holly Holm's coach expressed his belief that the formerly dominant star is done with fighting. In an interview this week with read news >>

Holly Holm: 'I Know I'm Coming off Two Losses, Don't Want a Third' (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Holly Holm is coming off back-to-back losses for the first time in his career and desperately doesn't want to suffer a third. read news >>

After hamstring injury, UFC Fight Night 105's Thiago Santos looks to bounce back

Two losses stick out on Thiago “Marreta” Santos’ recent resume, but according to the Brazilian UFC middleweight, the most recent one doesn’t tell the whole story.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Derek Brunson Says Anderson Silva's Losses are Due to 'Unfortunate Events' | MMAWeekly.com

Middleweight contender Derek Brunson faces former champion Anderson Silva in the UFC 208 co-main event with hopes that a win will put him back into title talk. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Hector Lombard blames octagon losses on 'stupidity' of welterweight run

HALIFAX – Hector Lombard hasn’t officially won a fight in nearly three years – and he blames no one but himself for the skid.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gian Villante can't wait to 'party' with 'Shogun' at UFC Fight Night 106 – probable black eyes and all

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Set to face former UFC champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC Fight Night 106, Gian Villante is one excited light heavyweight: "I just think both of us love war, love getting punched in read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 105: Lewis vs. Browne

The UFC returns to Halifax, Nova Scotia, with a decent offering on Fox Sports 1 this Sunday. In the main event, rising talent Derrick Lewis draws Travis Browne in a fight with some real implications read news >>

Todd Duffee Pulled from UFC 209 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

Todd Duffee is out of his bout with Mark Godbeer, which had been slated for UFC 209. read news >>