Sometimes after a loss, fighters might take a long time to figure out what went wrong.

Not so for former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, who lost his title to Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante via a third-round referee stoppage at Strikeforce "Houston" earlier this month.

"I threw out my wrestling," Lawal told the Sherdog Radio Network's "Savage Dog Show" on Monday. "The thing is, if you look at (UFC 118), wrestling dominated. Demian Maia used wrestling to get his takedowns. Gray Maynard used wrestling. Frankie Edgar used his hands and his wrestling when he had to. I didn't use my wrestling enough. I didn't set anything up. I didn't fake any takedowns. I didn't really shoot any hard takedown attempts."

Lawal was leading on the judges' scorecards before Cavalcante floored the collegiate wrestling champion with consecutive knees and a right hand to signal the beginning of the end.

The 29-year-old fighter won the title by out-wrestling favorite Gegard Mousasi to a five-round unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Nashville” on April 17 in Tennessee.

Lawal did slam Cavalcante early in the fight, but "Feijao" got back to his feet shortly thereafter and Lawal stayed away from his trademark wrestling after that. Lawal said Cavalcante's quick recovery wasn't the reason why he didn't utilize his wrestling skills.

"A slam is a slam," said Lawal. "A takedown is different. If you take somebody down, you control their whole body into a position when you land. But I slammed him and was looking to throw punches and he came back up. I was trying to throw punches and he came back up and recovered. If I'd just grinded him out and taken him down over and over like I did with Mousasi, he would've been gassed out dead in the third round."

The first loss of Lawal's eight-fight pro MMA career not only cost him the Strikeforce title, but it will put him on the sidelines for several months, as he will undergo knee surgery to replace both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee on Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Lawal’s surgery will be performed by Dr. Neal S. Elattrache, of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, the same physician who performed arthroscopic surgery on heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum Aug. 18 to remove 27 loose bone fragments in the Brazilian’s left elbow.

It's the second ACL surgery for Lawal, who had the same surgery in 2009 after tearing the ligament during the first round of his bout against Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku “Seventh Battle” in March 2009.

Lawal was upbeat about the defeat and the upcoming rehabilitation process, which could take up to nine months.

"I've lost before in wrestling," said Lawal. "I'm going to bounce back. I didn't want to lose, but I deserved to lose because I went out there and abandoned my true game plan. I just went out there and fought a stupid fight. If I hadn't lost, I would've gone back and done the same things over and over again. If I wouldn't have lost now, who knows who I would've lost to later."

Amanda Nunes' plan for 2 UFC belts? 'We need to start pumping the brakes,' White says

DENVER – Amanda Nunes’ ambitious plan for a second UFC title may need to wait a little while longer. At least until she’s earned a few more defenses of her bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Dana White Wants Amanda Nunes to Pump the Breaks on Featherweight Title Talk (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White wants UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes to "pump the breaks" on her plan to challenge the inaugural women's UFC featherweight champion. read news >>

Check Out Michael Bisping's Post-Surgery Elephant Leg (pic) | MMAWeekly.com

Following surgery, Michael Bisping showed off his shaven leg on Instagram. read news >>

After win over 'Zombie,' UFC Fight Night 104's Dennis Bermudez wants interim champ Holloway

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez has a plan in place after Saturday night, and it’s a good one. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko or 145 next? UFC champ Amanda Nunes lays out her game plan

HOUSTON – UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes appears to have backed away from a plan to immediately challenge for the soon-to-be-realized featherweight belt. Filed under: Featured, Featur read news >>

Niko Price's plan? Didn't include looking 'like a squirrel holding nuts in my cheeks' at UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – Niko Price picked up his second stoppage win in as many trips to the octagon at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event, but he was anything but satisfied with his performance.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov says the UFC needs to plan for Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Khabib Nurmagomedov thinks the UFC should “humble” Conor McGregor for wanting to box Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko unsurprisingly chill about scrapped Bellator 172 headliner, says it was 'God's plan'

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Fedor Emelianenko was his usual stoic self addressing the last-minute cancellation of his Bellator debut after scheduled opponent Matt Mitrione fell ill.Filed under: Bellator, Feat read news >>

Stephen Thompson has creative arsenal ready for UFC 209 rematch vs. champ Tyron Woodley

Stephen Thompson’s plan is to bring back his unpredictable offensive arsenal at UFC 209, and if that happens, he believes the rematch with Tyron Woodley will look very different.Filed under: News, UF read news >>