#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Bellator 185 #Andre Fili #KSW 40 #MMA Rocks #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Norman Parke #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Jan Blachowicz

Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The mental chess match between Muhammed Lawal and Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi hit another gear on Thursday, a little more than 48 hours before their scheduled showdown.

Mousasi will defend his title against the charismatic Lawal in a featured bout at Strikeforce “Nashville” this Saturday at the Bridgestone Arena. Their personalities clash almost as much as their styles, the champion reserved and soft-spoken, the challenger brash and forthcoming.

In an attempt to liven up the pre-fight press conference, Lawal left his seat, approached the podium and tried to bait Mousasi into imitating him. Seated at the opposite end of the table, the Armenian titleholder refused, leading to an uncomfortable silence between the two. When asked if he could mimic Mousasi, Lawal pointed to YouTube and his “Kermit the Frog impersonation” -- an open dig at his opponent’s throaty voice. Mousasi, though he seemed visibly uncomfortable with the pre-fight bluster, did his best to shrug it off.

“In the beginning, it bothered me, but now I’m OK,” he said. “It’s not my personality. Now, I can laugh about it. It’s not affecting my performance in the cage. It’s better for the sport. People are getting excited about the matchup. It’s the first time I’ve had somebody talk so much [before a fight]. It’s something I had to get used to.”

Still only 24, Mousasi will carry a 15-fight winning streak into his title defense. He has impressed in two appearances for Strikeforce, finishing UFC veterans Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. The former Dream middleweight champion has not competed since he blasted through Gary Goodridge in 94 seconds on New Year’s Eve in Japan.

Lawal, meanwhile, has gone the distance only once in six professional appearances and has finished four opponents inside one round. A one-time All-American wrestler and conference champion at Oklahoma State University, he last competed in December, when he blitzed Mike Whitehead in 3:08 in his Strikeforce debut. It marked the first time in nearly five years that Whitehead had been stopped inside the distance. Mousasi characterized the undefeated Lawal as “cocky” and “arrogant.”

“Whatever, man,” Lawal said. “He’s trying to find something to say. If I was cocky, I wouldn’t be training hard. I wouldn’t be studying him. I wouldn’t know what he does. I wouldn’t be a student of the game. I’m just having fun.”

Mousasi has no love loss for Lawal, one of the sport’s top prospects and one of its best showmen. However, he believes fighters like the Murfreesboro, Tenn., native bring a fresh dimension to the sport.

“Maybe if I knew him personally, I’d like him,” he said. “I have to fight him, so it’s different for me. He seems like a nice guy, but everybody’s different. Every fighter has a certain style. If every fighter was like me, it’d be pretty boring.”

Galleries

Gegard Mousasi Fights

• 11 months ago

Comments

Bellator 183 results: Patricky Freire edges Benson Henderson in chess match

In a fight that frequently dipped into a tactical stalemate, Patricky Freire’s strong late-fight performance may have swayed judges against Benson Henderson in the headliner of Bellator 183.Filed und read news >>

'King Mo' Lawal out of Bellator 185 co-headliner against Liam McGeary

Injuries continue to plague Muhammed Lawal, this time forcing him out of his Bellator 185 co-main event bout with Liam McGeary.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Reacts to Not Being UFC 216 Main Event (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Demetrious Johnson speaks about his mental approach to fighting and what his reaction was when he learned he would not be the UFC 216 headliner. read news >>

UFC interim champ Tony Ferguson warns Conor McGregor: 'You're in check, and I'm great at chess'

Tony Ferguson sent a stern message to Conor McGregor following his interim title win in the UFC 216 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gegard Mousasi enjoying added freedom with Bellator after 'hard road' with UFC

Gegard Mousasi has yet to make his Bellator debut, but already he has glowing reviews for the promotion opposed to his run with the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator plan: Shlemenko, title, MacDonald, light heavyweight – then retire?

Gegard Mousasi sees endless possibilities for his Bellator career. But it all starts with Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator commentator Jimmy Smith: Standing up with Alexander Shlemenko is a gamble

As experienced as Gegard Mousasi is as a striker, he should think twice about duking it out with Alexander Shlemenko.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi targets 205-pound division after he captures Bellator middleweight title

Gegard Mousasi’s potential reign in the Bellator middleweight division may be short lived.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Videos read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 185, where Gegard Mousasi looks to establish dominance

Gegard Mousasi, making his Bellator debut, has an ambitious plan in place that he will attempt to put into motion vs. Alexander Shlemenko.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 185 headliner Alexander Shlemenko: Win over Gegard Mousasi already makes me champ

It’s no secret ex-champ Alexander Shlemenko would like to fast-track his way back to the Bellator middleweight belt against Gegard Mousasi.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>