#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Jon Jones

Late in the first round of their heavyweight bout Saturday at UFC on Fox 3, Lavar Johnson backed Pat Barry up against the cage and teed off.

Barry managed to block some of the knees and punches coming at him, but too many got through and eventually he dropped, forcing referee Dan Miragliotta to stop the contest at 4:38.

“Once you’re up against the cage and you’re not firing back, then I can just pick my shots,” Johnson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “He’d block a couple of them, but the MMA gloves are so small, they’re going to sneak in eventually. There’s only so much you can take. I was just surprised that he didn’t try to shoot or grab me or anything. He just froze up, I guess.”

The fight began with both men headhunting. Barry changed it up, though, when he put Johnson on his back.

“That’s what we thought he was going to do,” Johnson said. “I didn’t expect him to come out and bang as quickly as he did. He’s been working a lot on his ground game. I was just surprised he took me down that easy.”

More surprises came on the ground. Barry moved into the mount at one point, but he quickly gave up the position in favor of side control.

“I was tripping too,” said Johnson, who had expected Barry to punch and elbow from the top. “I was like, ‘Oh man, here it comes. I’m going to have to buck and use all this energy to get him off me.’ And he just helped me out, I guess.”

After moving into side control, though, Barry secured a keylock that made Johnson grimace. Clearly Barry knew that four of his opponent’s five losses have come via submission.

“I was nervous for a second because he almost had me in a couple of submissions,” Johnson said. “He had it in tight twice, but I ended up pulling out. I just needed to create a little bit of space. I thought he was going to do a little bit more damage than he did. I was waiting for him to elbow me, but he didn’t. As soon as he gave me a little bit of space, I was able to get my arm underneath him and I was able to get back up.”

On the feet, Johnson delivered his second punishing finish in as many UFC bouts. He did see some room for improvement, though. Whomever he fights next, Johnson doesn’t want to be stuck underneath him, fending off submissions.

“I will be working on my ground game a lot more because that’s not cool,” Johnson said. “I’d like to get up a lot faster than what I did. I will be up at AKA with Cain [Velasquez] and all those guys a lot more for this [next] one, but anybody’s fine with me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:36:41).

Comments

Alexander Gustafsson 'sad,' but 'not surprised' by Jon Jones' latest positive test

Alexander Gustafsson called Jon Jones’ second failed drug test sad and thinks Jones should hang up his gloves if the findings are confirmed.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 'Money Fight' gets Saturday replay on Showtime

If you didn’t shell out the nearly $100 for “The Money Fight” on Saturday, you’ll have a chance to catch a replay at the end of the week.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's coaches, teammates react to Floyd Mayweather loss

Conor McGregor didn’t get the job done against Floyd Mayweather, but his solid effort was still a prideful moment for coaches and teammates.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Watch Stefan Struve Make Short Work of Lavar Johnson (UFC Rotterdam Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Stefan Struve submit Lavar Johnson in 2012. read news >>

Jose Aldo: No moral victory for Conor McGregor in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

Jose Aldo says he didn’t even watch “The Money Fight” but wasn’t surprised – or impressed – when he heard about how it ended.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

This PRIDE-tastic edit of Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor will give you nostalgia chills

Behold, the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor edit that you didn’t know you needed, which also makes you realize how well this fight would have fit in with the overall aesthetic of Japan’s now defu read news >>

UFC 215 results: Kajan Johnson right hand stuns Adriano Martins

Following nearly two years away from the cage, Kajan Johnson didn’t exactly impress for two rounds but eventually scored a highlight-reel finish of Adriano Martins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A breakdown of Mayweather vs. McGregor ticket sales revenue

The hottest ticket for “The Money Fight” was $5,000, although it didn’t necessarily sell at that price.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jesse Taylor 'shocked and surprised' by failed USADA drug test, says he didn't pop for steroids

Jesse Taylor is doing his best to keep his spirits high in the wake of his recent notification of a potential USADA violation.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>