#UFC on Fox 26 #Bellator 191 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #UFC 218 #Mike Perry #Francis Ngannou #Conor McGregor #Michael McDonald #Peter Ligier #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217

Officials say 14 fighters – 14! – turned down a fight tonight with LFA champ Andrea Lee. So why didn’t she just take a slot on “The Ultimate Fighter 26”?

Lee (7-2), the inaugural and reigning LFA women’s flyweight champion, co-headlines tonight’s LFA 23 event against challenger Jamie Morton (4-3), which airs on AXS TV from Bossier City Hotel Casino & Hotel in Bossier, La.

Morton has lost two straight – she was on the receiving end of a brutal Sabina Mazo head-kick KO earlier this year – but she was willing to fight Lee when so many others apparently weren’t.

So why didn’t Lee take a spot on the cast of “TUF 26,” the latest installment of the UFC’s long-running reality series – one that crowns the UFC’s first 125-pound female champion and would guarantee the 28-year-old “KGB” would have no trouble securing matchups?

“Well, I chose not to do it,” she told AXS TV’s Phoenix Carnevale.

More specifically, an injury and an aversion to reality TV also factored in to her decision.

“At the time, I had a back injury, and I just thought that it was probably better for me not to go to the ‘TUF’ house,” Lee said. “I felt like I was already established enough that I didn’t need the ‘TUF’ house to get me into the UFC.

” … I’m scheduled to fight again for (Invicta FC) before the end of the year, and I’m looking forward to that. So hopefully at the beginning of next year y’all will see me in the UFC. Who knows?”

Of course, sharing a house with 15 or so other fighters and possible opponents – on reality TV – wasn’t exactly a selling point either.

“Not my thing,” Lee said. ” … I think I need my time, and I need my space to prepare and get mentally ready for all of my fights.”

As for Morton, who’s likely to be a significant underdog when the odds open today, she simply wouldn’t pass up an opportunity so many others did.

“In this MMA game, you can not be afraid,” she said. “It’s sad that everybody missed a great opportunity. This is a wonderful opportunity – win, lose or draw – because I get to fight an awesome competitor, and I get my name out there too. So all of those other girls? They lost an awesome opportunity.”

Check out the full interviews above.

And for more on LFA 23, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Photo credit: Mike Jackson of mikethetruth.com)

LFA 23 is live on AXS TV tonight at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT). Make sure to tweet along using #LFA23. AXS TV airs new, live fights almost every Friday night in 2017. Find AXS TV on your TV right here: www.axs.tv/fights.

Comments

Nicco Montano Out Muscles Barb Honchak (TUF 26 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Nicco Montano pulled off one of the biggest upsets in TUF history to advance to the finals of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. read news >>

FS1, pay-per-view broadcast plans set for TUF 26 Finale, UFC 218

It’s a double-fight week for the UFC, and the broadcast plans for back-to-back nights have been set.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 26 Finals Set with Underdog Destined to Be Inaugural Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Sixteen women entered The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion tournament to determine the inaugural UFC women's 125-pound champion. read news >>

Tournament final/inaugural title fight set as part of Friday's official TUF 26 Finale lineup

The matchup to crown the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion at Friday’s The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finale is set.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for TUF 26 Finale in Las Vegas

We want your predictions for Friday’s TUF 26 Finale event in Las Vegas.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Surprise 'TUF 26' finalist Nicco Montano at ease with UFC title shot despite 'surreal' experience

Ranked 14th out 16 fighters on “TUF 26,” Nicco Montano wasn’t exactly expected to find herself competing for a UFC title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

TUF 26 Finale weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

Check out the official results from The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finale early and official weigh-ins.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Watch today's TUF 26 Finale ceremonial weigh-ins live at 8:30 p.m. ET

Check out a live video stream of today’s ceremonial weigh-ins for The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finale.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'TUF 26' finalist Sijara Eubanks learned to love her low ranking, always knew she was No. 1

Sijara Eubanks took every possible opportunity to remind Dana White that she did not appreciate being seeded No. 12 for “TUF 26.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

TUF 26 Finale pre-event facts: Inaugural title fight comes with dubious footnote

Check out 20 facts, figures and footnotes about TUF 26 Finale, which features a Sijara Eubanks vs. Nicco Montano main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>