#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #GSP #Quinton Jackson #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping

Officials say 14 fighters – 14! – turned down a fight tonight with LFA champ Andrea Lee. So why didn’t she just take a slot on “The Ultimate Fighter 26”?

Lee (7-2), the inaugural and reigning LFA women’s flyweight champion, co-headlines tonight’s LFA 23 event against challenger Jamie Morton (4-3), which airs on AXS TV from Bossier City Hotel Casino & Hotel in Bossier, La.

Morton has lost two straight – she was on the receiving end of a brutal Sabina Mazo head-kick KO earlier this year – but she was willing to fight Lee when so many others apparently weren’t.

So why didn’t Lee take a spot on the cast of “TUF 26,” the latest installment of the UFC’s long-running reality series – one that crowns the UFC’s first 125-pound female champion and would guarantee the 28-year-old “KGB” would have no trouble securing matchups?

“Well, I chose not to do it,” she told AXS TV’s Phoenix Carnevale.

More specifically, an injury and an aversion to reality TV also factored in to her decision.

“At the time, I had a back injury, and I just thought that it was probably better for me not to go to the ‘TUF’ house,” Lee said. “I felt like I was already established enough that I didn’t need the ‘TUF’ house to get me into the UFC.

” … I’m scheduled to fight again for (Invicta FC) before the end of the year, and I’m looking forward to that. So hopefully at the beginning of next year y’all will see me in the UFC. Who knows?”

Of course, sharing a house with 15 or so other fighters and possible opponents – on reality TV – wasn’t exactly a selling point either.

“Not my thing,” Lee said. ” … I think I need my time, and I need my space to prepare and get mentally ready for all of my fights.”

As for Morton, who’s likely to be a significant underdog when the odds open today, she simply wouldn’t pass up an opportunity so many others did.

“In this MMA game, you can not be afraid,” she said. “It’s sad that everybody missed a great opportunity. This is a wonderful opportunity – win, lose or draw – because I get to fight an awesome competitor, and I get my name out there too. So all of those other girls? They lost an awesome opportunity.”

Check out the full interviews above.

And for more on LFA 23, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Photo credit: Mike Jackson of mikethetruth.com)

LFA 23 is live on AXS TV tonight at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT). Make sure to tweet along using #LFA23. AXS TV airs new, live fights almost every Friday night in 2017. Find AXS TV on your TV right here: www.axs.tv/fights.

Comments

Major Upset Eliminates A Favorite From TUF 26 | MMAWeekly.com

One of the favorites have been eliminated from The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. No. 3 seed Lauren Murphy was defeated by No. 14 seed Nicco Montano on the fourth episode of the reality seri read news >>

Nicco Montano Upsets Lauren Murphy (TUF 26 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch highlights of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion's fourth fight. No. 14 seed Nicco Montano pulled off the upset and eliminated the No. 3 seed. read news >>

Sijara Eubanks Submits Maia Stevenson (TUF 26 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the fight highlights from Sijara Eubanks' submission win over Maia Stevenson from The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. read news >>

Former Invicta FC Champion Advances Closer to UFC Title on TUF 26 | MMAWeekly.com

After back-to-back weeks of upsets on The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion, one of the favorites reminded everyone that Cinderella stories are rare. Former Invicta FC flyweight champion Barb Ho read news >>

'TUF 26' vet Sijara Eubanks talks 'super dramatic' weight-cut that required cutting her dreadlocks

Sijara Eubanks walked on to the set of “The Ultimate Fighter 26” with a fight already booked against the scale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Eddie Alvarez talks 'TUF 26' gripe with Lauren Murphy – and lack of heat with Justin Gaethje

• a day ago

While “TUF 26” coach Eddie Alvarez didn’t exactly get along with team member Lauren Murphy, things went smoothly with rival coach Justin Gaethje: “He’s actually a hell of a human being.”Filed under: read news >>

'EA All Day:' Watch ex-champ Eddie Alvarez's debut vlog, with a 'TUF 26' media tour

Watch the debut episode of former UFC champ Eddie Alvarez’s new vlog series titled “EA All Day.”Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Champion Andrea Lee Thinks He's A Better Fighter Than Her LFA 23 Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Andrea Lee will finally get the opportunity to defend her 125-pound title when she takes on Jamie Thorton in the LFA 23 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Why tonight's LFA 23 title headliner could be a '5-round blistering, bloody slugfest'

We’ve got two grapplers in tonight’s LFA 23 main event, and one of them knows it could produce a perhaps-unexpected result.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Videos read news >>

Chaos erupts between Lorenz Larkin, Paul Daley at Bellator 183 weigh-ins

The beef between Lorenz Larkin and Paul Daley turned physical at the Bellator 183 ceremonial weigh-ins.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>