#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Conor McGregor #Fight On #UFC 223

LFA champ Andrea Lee returns tonight at LFA 23, but why isn't she on 'TUF 26'?

Officials say 14 fighters – 14! – turned down a fight tonight with LFA champ Andrea Lee. So why didn’t she just take a slot on “The Ultimate Fighter 26”?

Lee (7-2), the inaugural and reigning LFA women’s flyweight champion, co-headlines tonight’s LFA 23 event against challenger Jamie Morton (4-3), which airs on AXS TV from Bossier City Hotel Casino & Hotel in Bossier, La.

Morton has lost two straight – she was on the receiving end of a brutal Sabina Mazo head-kick KO earlier this year – but she was willing to fight Lee when so many others apparently weren’t.

So why didn’t Lee take a spot on the cast of “TUF 26,” the latest installment of the UFC’s long-running reality series – one that crowns the UFC’s first 125-pound female champion and would guarantee the 28-year-old “KGB” would have no trouble securing matchups?

“Well, I chose not to do it,” she told AXS TV’s Phoenix Carnevale.

More specifically, an injury and an aversion to reality TV also factored in to her decision.

“At the time, I had a back injury, and I just thought that it was probably better for me not to go to the ‘TUF’ house,” Lee said. “I felt like I was already established enough that I didn’t need the ‘TUF’ house to get me into the UFC.

” … I’m scheduled to fight again for (Invicta FC) before the end of the year, and I’m looking forward to that. So hopefully at the beginning of next year y’all will see me in the UFC. Who knows?”

Of course, sharing a house with 15 or so other fighters and possible opponents – on reality TV – wasn’t exactly a selling point either.

“Not my thing,” Lee said. ” … I think I need my time, and I need my space to prepare and get mentally ready for all of my fights.”

As for Morton, who’s likely to be a significant underdog when the odds open today, she simply wouldn’t pass up an opportunity so many others did.

“In this MMA game, you can not be afraid,” she said. “It’s sad that everybody missed a great opportunity. This is a wonderful opportunity – win, lose or draw – because I get to fight an awesome competitor, and I get my name out there too. So all of those other girls? They lost an awesome opportunity.”

Check out the full interviews above.

And for more on LFA 23, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Photo credit: Mike Jackson of mikethetruth.com)

LFA 23 is live on AXS TV tonight at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT). Make sure to tweet along using #LFA23. AXS TV airs new, live fights almost every Friday night in 2017. Find AXS TV on your TV right here: www.axs.tv/fights.

Check out this finish by Alex Morono, who seems to want every 'TUF' alum on retirement bubble

After defeating a ‘TUF’ 2 alum now on a five-fight losing streak, Alex Morono wants to go all the way back to ‘TUF’ 1 for a possibly even more depressing foe. read news >>

Derrick Lewis vs. Francis Ngannou? UFC starts pushing matchup; 'Black Beast' indifferent

UFC officials have started a small push for a potential matchup between contenders Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Vitor Belfort's Retirement Bout vs. Lyoto Machida Official for UFC 224 | MMAWeekly.com

Officials made the highly anticipated Brazilian vs. Brazilian showdown between Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida official on Tuesday. read news >>

Thursday's Fight Nights Global 83 set to stream free from Moscow

Thursday’s “Fight Nights Global 83: Alibekov vs. Aliev” will stream live and free, promotion officials today told MMAjunkie. read news >>

Israel Adesanya meets Marvin Vettori at UFC on FOX 29 in Arizona

UFC officials aren’t waiting long to get “The Last Stylebender” back in the cage. read news >>

Video: It turns out John McCarthy is pretty good behind the scenes, as well

“Big” John McCarthy is one of the best officials in MMA history, but he may be a bit of a natural at this broadcasting thing, too. read news >>

Justin Buchholz Confirms Split as Coach at Team Alpha Male | MMAWeekly.com

Team Alpha Male has lost another head coach. Former UFC fighter turned instructor Justin Buchholz has split with the Sacramento based gym after serving as the head coach as well as the Muay Thai coac read news >>

Las Vegas 'Ultimate Sports Weekend' kicks off tonight with Pep Rally

To kick off the Las Vegas Ultimate Sports Weekend, there will be a pep rally on Wednesday, February 28, at 5:30 pm at the Toshiba Plaza in front of T-Mobile Arena. Stars from all 4 sports will join c read news >>

John McCarthy details big-picture issue of Jeremy Stephens-Josh Emmett controversy

Veteran referee turned Bellator commentator John McCarthy faults state athletic commissions for the controversy surrounding UFC on FOX 28’s headliner. read news >>

Why champ Robert Watley declined UFC offer for tonight's LFA 34 title fight with Brandon Jenkins

Robert Watley declined a UFC offer – one to fight Beneil Dariush – so he could keep his LFA 34 headliner with “good guy” Brandon Jenkins. read news >>

UFC FIGHT PASS stream live Muay Thai boxing tonight

The New York based Fright Night Fights promotion will stream FIGHT PASS’s first Muay Thai card beginning tonight (March 2) at 4pm Eastern Time. read news >>

How to watch UFC 222 tonight: Fight card, start time, online results, where to stream

The UFC is back in its “Sin City” home base tonight for UFC 222. Here’s how to watch. read news >>

Nick Newell, Sonny Luque preview LFA 35 main event – and Newell's return

Tonight, three years after Nick Newell last stepped in a cage, the groundbreaking fighter returns. read news >>

Bellator 200 Adds British Reality TV Star to Main Card Line-Up | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator is proud to announce that reality star turned MMA fighter Aaron Chalmers (3-0) will make his promotional debut on the main card of historic Bellator 200. read news >>

UFC 225's Curtis Blaydes on contract renegotiation: 'It was pretty easy'

Negotiating a new UFC contract turned out to be pretty easy for heavyweight Curtis Blaydes. read news >>

UFC In London Scraps Opening Fight Due to Medically Ineligible Fighter | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night in London has lost its opening bout. On Saturday, UFC officials confirmed that Nasrat Haqparast has been ruled medically ineligible to compete and his fight against Nad Narimani has b read news >>

Search for: