#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Anthony Ferguson #UFC Fight Night 118 #Venom

Mike Kyle (top) vs. Antonio Silva: Dave Mandel | Sherdog.com

When Mike Kyle was approached to step in for an injured Valentijn Overeem against Antonio Silva, he was given two choices: fight for the typical show-plus-win money, or take a flat rate, regardless of the bout’s outcome.

As a 3-1 underdog, few would have blamed Kyle for taking the flat pay, which was considerably more than his show money. For Kyle, however, the choice was clear. According to the American Kickboxing Academy product, playing it safe would have equated to betting against himself.

“I just couldn't do that. I had to go out and believe in myself and leave it all in the ring,” Kyle told Sherdog.com after his fight at Strikeforce “Henderson vs. Babalu II” on Saturday.

In giving it his all, Kyle nearly pulled off a colossal upset. Early in round one, he clipped Silva with a sharp right hand that dropped “Bigfoot” and brought the crowd to its feet. As Kyle jumped on the fallen giant, the size discrepancy between the two fighters became startlingly apparent. Nonetheless, Kyle continued to pound on the Brazilian, hoping for a referee stoppage which never came.

“I'm not going to use [his size] as an excuse. He was better than me tonight,” said Kyle. “I thought it was going to be stopped and I got really excited.”

At the post-fight presser, Kyle sported a bandage. The 30-year-old claimed he broke his hand twice while delivering ground-and-pound in the first frame.

“Once my right hand broke, mentally, I felt like I couldn't do nothing to him,” said Kyle.

In round two, the King of the Cage light heavyweight champion found himself caught in a Silva anaconda choke. Although he admitted to feeling mentally beaten between rounds, Kyle refused to quit and escaped the submission.

“I didn’t want to quit out there. There have been fights in the past where I’ve quit, and I believe that [AKA teammate] Cain Velasquez beat that quit out of me,” he said. “That choke was tight, but I had to leave it all in the cage.”

Eventually, though, the size difference caught up with Kyle, who was mounted by Silva and finished with punches at the 2:49 mark of the second round.

Although Kyle walked away with another loss on his record, his performance against the world-ranked Silva turned some heads. Giving away over 40 pounds, Kyle nearly pulled off the shocking upset, as he did when he knocked out current Strikeforce 205-pound king Rafael Cavalcante in June 2009. When asked about Kyle's chances as a light heavyweight contender, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was optimistic.

“I think Mike is right in the mix, and he keeps getting better,” said Coker. “He has the ability to fight at both weights, and I think his stock went up tonight.”

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 Athlete Outfitting pay: Program payout total passes $14.5 million

Fighters from Friday’s UFC Fight Night 117 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay totaling $107,500.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Expected to Fall Short of Pay-Per-View Record | MMAWeekly.com

The Mayweather vs. McGregor pay-per-view in the U.S. is expected to fall just short of the record. read news >>

Conor McGregor Pay-Per-View Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor's first pay-per-view appearance since he fought Floyd Mayweather in August has been canceled. read news >>

So, can Walt Harris get back his UFC 216 pay-per-view main-card slot?

Walt Harris has a simple request wish for UFC officials: give him back his spot back on Saturday’s UFC 216 pay-per-view main card.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

What happens when you pay a fighter to retire? What happens when you stop?

The UFC tried a creative approach to a problem as old as combat sports when it gave cushy jobs to legendary fighters it wanted to usher into retirement. Now those jobs are disappearing, and the retir read news >>

Serious question: How many of you would pay for George Foreman vs. Steven Seagal? Because I would

Former heavyweight boxing champ George Foreman wants to fight former movie star Steven Seagal. Like it or not, we asked for this. In the spectacle-loving culture we’ve created for ourselves, we might read news >>

UFC 216's Beneil Dariush wants to make Evan Dunham pay for calling him out

Beneil Dariush wants to make UFC 216 opponent Evan Dunham regret the decision to call him out.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derrick Lewis injured, UFC 216 fight vs. Fabricio Werdum cancelled last minute

Just minutes before UFC 216 was slated to begin, a key matchup was pulled from tonight’s lineup. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 Ends with Lowest Attendance for Any Pay-Per-View Yet in 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216 crowned a new interim lightweight champion and saw the record broken for most title defenses in promotional history but still didn't manage to pull in a huge crowd in Las Vegas on Saturday ni read news >>

UFC 216 Athlete Outfitting pay: Payout total 2nd highest of any 2017 event

Fighters from Saturday’s UFC 216 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>