#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

Chan Sung Jung submitted Dustin Poirier on Tuesday in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 3, and the “Korean Zombie” may find himself fighting for the UFC featherweight title as a result.

According to a report from Fox Sports, following Jung’s victory at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va., UFC President Dana White now apparently holds no reservations about the prospect of Jung challenging the winner of Jose Aldo’s UFC 149 defense against Erik Koch -- despite Hatsu Hioki being officially regarded as the second-best featherweight in the company.

As expected, Jung welcomes the prospect of the possible championship pairing.

“I think I definitely made a point about going into a title fight here,” said Jung at the post-fight press conference. “If the fight had gone to a decision, I don’t think it would have made the [same] statement. Previously, I thought I got lucky in a lot of my fights, but I was able to really showcase my abilities and prove what I could do out there.”

Round one saw Jung take the fight to the floor early. The Korean Top Team representative pounded away at Poirier with elbows that cut the American’s scalp. Though Poirier escaped to his feet to close out the round, Jung once again took control in the second frame, reversing a Poirier takedown attempt and landing in mount. Jung failed in an attempt at an armbar but transitioned smoothly into a triangle, where he held his half-defenseless opponent and rifled off elbow strikes.

To his credit, Poirier managed to survive the round and came on much stronger in the third frame, cracking the 25-year-old with a handful of straight lefts as Jung appeared to tire. However, according to Jung, it was not fatigue that caused him to lose a step in that third frame.

“I didn’t feel so much that I was getting tired. At some point in the second or third, I kind of hurt my knee. I had to back off my pace a little bit, but that is something I chose to do,” said Jung. “I thought that we were very similar. He’s a tough fighter. I knew that coming in. I want to show I was tougher, and I think I was able to do that in the fight.”

Jung got down to business almost immediately in the fourth frame, jacking the jaw of Poirier with a sharp uppercut and following up with a flying knee attempt. The stunned Louisianan tried for a takedown, but Jung saw it coming. The Korean stuffed the attempt and cinched a fight-ending brabo choke, putting Poirier to sleep at 1:07 of round four.

“The [brabo] choke is something I use a lot in practice. The things I prepared before this fight were the uppercut, the spinning back fist and the flying knee,” said Jung. “I think it was the beginning of the third round when I looked into Dustin’s eyes. I thought, ‘I can do this.’ I honestly didn’t know that the [brabo] choke would work, but it did.”

The victory marks Jung’s third consecutive win in the UFC after suffering back-to-back losses in World Extreme Cagefighting. After competing a total of five times on American soil, Jung says that the UFC would do well to hold more Asian events similar to the promotion’s Feb. 26 return to Japan.

“It’s really hard for Asian fighters to come over here and deal with the time difference and the [fatigue] and the [differences in] food. It’s hard to overcome that stuff,” said Jung. “If the UFC wants to appeal to a worldwide audience, they need to come to Asia and put on fights. There are lots of fighters better than me, and they need to experience [fighting in the UFC].”

When asked if his win constituted the biggest victory in Korean MMA history, Jung could only speak for himself. However, he did not understate the potential impact that may be generated in the wake of his victory over Poirier.

“For me, it was [the best moment of my career], but I’m waiting for the day I can become champion,” said Jung. “I heard the UFC may come to Shanghai in November. If they came to Korea, it would build a lot of excitement. I think we all want to see [me challenge for the title] in Korea.”

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Dustin Poirier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Results: Ovince Saint Preux Submits Yushin Okami

Ovince Saint Preux did it again. The UFC light heavyweight submitted Yushin Okami in Friday night's main event at UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan via Von Flue choke. The Von Flue submission was only the read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Aldo's return one of three bouts added to Winnipeg card

The UFC's first featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, begins his road back to the top of the weight class on Dec. 16 when he faces surging contender Ricardo "The Bully" Lamas in a rematch of a 2014 bout read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas, Mike Perry vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio Added to UFC in Winnipeg | MMAWeekly.com

The year end FOX UFC Fight Night card has just added a couple of blockbuster fights. Former featherweight champion Jose Aldo will return to action for the first time since falling to Max Holloway whe read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Offers Glory Kickboxing 46 Free, Featuring Bigfoot Silva vs. Rico Verhoeven | MMAWeekly.com

UFC is making Glory Kickboxing 46, featuring Bigfoot Silva vs. Rico Verhoeven, free to everyone on Saturday, Oct. 14. read news >>

'TUF 25' winner Jesse Taylor accepts 1-year suspension for clomiphene

UFC anti-doping partner USADA today announced Jesse Taylor has accepted a one-year suspension after an out-of-competition drug test found clomiphene in his system.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Robbie Lawler-Rafael dos Anjos winner gets next shot at champ Tyron Woodley

The recently UFC on FOX 26 main event between Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos is a title-eliminator in the welterweight division. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping walks back retirement talk ahead of UFC 217 title defense

Despite previously stating otherwise, UFC champion Michael Bisping now says he won’t retire after UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>