#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Rizin 7 #GSP #Pancrase #Kevin Lee

Kenny Florian UFC 101

Kenny Florian

Kenny Florian is a fighter who simply loves to train.

The former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor spends as much time as he can working in the gym and traveling to different camps to improve as he prepares for a fight. So it’s been all the more devastating that Florian was sidelined last month with a knee injury that not only forced him out of his scheduled fight against Evan Dunham at UFC Fight For The Troops 2 in January, but out of the training room all together.

The injury happened when Florian was working with coach Firas Zahabi and his team at the Tri-Star gym in Montreal while preparing for Dunham.

“I was training in Montreal and it was just an unfortunate accident and the knee bent the wrong way, and my foot was slanted, and it was just kind of an unorthodox thing that my training partner did while I was wrestling and the knee didn’t really like it. I heard a loud pop and dropped to the floor and I immediately knew it was not good,” Florian explained when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio.

After visiting the doctor, Florian was given the diagnosis – a torn MCL and torn meniscus in his knee – which would force him out of the bout with Dunham and sideline him for a yet to be determined amount of time.

Making the call that he was out of the fight was heartbreaking enough for Florian, but now with a brace on his knee and training out of the question, he’s just missing all aspects of the sport. One positive that Florian did take away, however, was the recovery portion of the knee injury, which did not require him to go under the knife.

“I didn’t need surgery luckily; I dodged a bullet. You don’t typically do surgery on the location where I had the meniscus, I don’t need surgery on that, and as well it wasn’t a complete tear, so I lucked out, no surgery,” Florian said.

“Now it’s about resting and doing the rehab.”

The resting part is the most difficult for Florian, who is an admitted gym rat. The Boston area native spends the biggest part of every day in the gym working on his game and getting ready for fights, but for now he is forced to be a bit of a couch potato.

Florian doesn’t like being forced to the sidelines, but when dealing with a knee injury he knows it’s the best place for him right now.

“I’m kind of the type of guy more is better. I always want to do more, and go attack it aggressively, but with something like a knee injury that I’ve never really had before, when you’re talking about ligaments, you really don’t want to do that,” Florian commented.

Right now there is no definitive timeline for his return to the Octagon, but Florian is optimistic to shoot for early summer 2011. Like many athletes, however, if Florian can get his knee back to healthy before that, you can believe he’ll be the first one knocking on the gym door to get some training time on the mats.

“That’s definitely a goal,” Florian confirmed about a possible summer return. “Maybe I can be back before that, but that’s the realistic goal I set for myself and hopefully I can be back in the cage soon.

“I’m really missing the training, and 2011 is a year where I really want to get back in the title picture.”

Comments

VanZant forced out of 216 bout with Eye

Due to injury, Paige VanZant has been forced to withdraw from her UFC 216 bout against Jessica Eye on Oct. 7. read news >>

Back injury knocks Paige VanZant out of flyweight fight vs. Jessica Eye at UFC 216

An injury has forced Paige VanZant out of her flyweight debut against Jessica Eye at UFC 216 in Las Vegas. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee talks USADA rule that scrapped UFC 216 debut, clears air on previously failed drug test

Former Invicta FC flyweight champ Andrea Lee has entered the USADA testing pool, though she’d rather her addition have been less dramatic.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua undergoes (another) knee surgery

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio Rua has been forced to undergo yet another knee surgery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Augusto Mendes reveals injury, withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 119 bout vs. Boston Salmon

Grappling standout Augusto Mendes will have to wait a little bit longer before making his return to the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nik Lentz Releases Statement Revealing Why He Was Removed from UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Lightweight fighter Nik Lentz has been forced out of his scheduled fight against former teammate Will Brooks, and now we know why. The Lentz vs. Brooks bout had been slated for the UFC 216 Prelims on read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' late withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum

Check out the top Twitter reactions to Derrick Lewis’ injury and withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 medical suspensions: Ray Borg potentially out six months with finger injury

After tapping to an armbar in the fifth round of UFC 216’s co-headliner, Ray Borg is facing a six-month medical suspension for a finger injury. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yokota Air Base personnel in Japan motivated by recent visit from UFC fighters

Take an inside look at the UFC’s recent visit to Yokota Air Base in Japan near Tokyo. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>