Donald Sanchez KOTCWith 13 wins in his last 16 fights, King of the Cage bantamweight champion Donald Sanchez has been rebuilding a career that started off with a lack of consistency.

Perhaps the most impressive of his wins came recently when he defeated Matt Comeau via second round TKO to defend his title at KOTC: Regulators.

“I was fighting a guy who had never been finished, who I knew was real scrappy with good boxing and wrestling. So I knew I had to weather the storm in order to take him out,” said Sanchez of Comeau. “I knew I would be able to ground and pound him once I was able to use my size and strength to get him to the ground.

“I had a feeling he’d be relentless with the takedown and hold me down, so that’s where I ended up sweeping him and getting mount and landing some pretty hard elbows and finishing him like that.”

Having primarily relied upon his striking much of his career, Sanchez has begun to develop his ground game more and it’s paid off during his recent run.

“(At my gym) we do a lot of sneaky dirty boxing stuff with a real sticky guard and I feel that works really well for me,” said Sanchez. “I have no worries about being able to get back up or reversing the position or even inflicting some damage from the bottom with the dirty boxing or the submission which is always there.”

Sanchez hopes he’ll be able to continue to face tough opposition, as it gives him something to aspire to, such as the case where he faced two of MMA’s top lighter weight fighters in Hatsu Hioki and Tatsuya Kawajiri.

“Even though I haven’t successfully (risen to their level) yet, I’m going to,” said Sanchez. “It’s going to happen. I’m getting more and more confident and I’m ready for it all like that. It doesn’t scare me (to face that level of competition). It’s a couple notches in my record, but I learn from that, I learn big time.”

When it comes to his goal for 2013, Sanchez told MMAWeekly.com that he feels with the work he’s put in over the last couple of years, now is the time to take that next step in his career.

“I want to make it to the big stage and prove I can fight with all of them,” he said. “I want to be there and I think this is the year to do it.

“I have a ton of fights and it’s been on-the-job training basically because I didn’t have an amateur background. I just kept taking fights, fight after fight, and now I’m there and I’ve been here long enough that I’m ready for it.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 104: Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie

Fan-favorite Chan Sung Jung, the Korean Zombie, finally makes his long-awaited return to the Octagon after three years away due to injuries and a two-year stint in the South Korean military. He takes read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 pre-fight facts: 'The Korean Zombie' finally returns

The UFC’s annual Super Bowl weekend event takes place Saturday, with this year’s festivities at Toyota Center in Houston. Check out all of the pre-event facts for UFC Fight Night 104.Filed under: Fea read news >>

The Korean Zombie, Cult Hero Brawler, Finally Returns to the UFC

After a long layoff due to injury and a mandatory two-year stint in the South Korean army, Chan Sung Jung, the Korean Zombie, finally makes his return to the UFC this Saturday for UFC Fight Night 104 read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: James Vick finally chokes out Abel Trujillo in the third

HOUSTON – It took three attempts for James Vick to get the desired response from Abel Trujillo after applying a D’Arce choke.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

With late addition, Saturday's UFC 208 lineup now finalized with 12 bouts

The lineup is finally set for Saturday’s UFC 208 event in New York.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Patrick Cote wants to finally get down with Jake Ellenberger at UFC 210 in Buffalo

Patrick Cote may be turning 37 later this month, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to slow down and call it quits on his MMA career. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>