#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki

After a yearlong layoff, Muhammed Lawal returns Jan. 24 to take on Przemyslaw Mysiala in the Bellator Fighting Championships Season 8 light heavyweight tournament.

“King Mo” joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show ahead of the matchup to discuss his opponent, the tournament format and more.

On whether he’s nervous making his debut in Bellator and on Spike TV: “No. I got more nervous with wrestling because with fighting, you’re getting paid. You’re getting paid to show up. In wrestling, you had to win the tournament. When I went to Russia and when I went to Iran, I had to win the tournament to get paid. I had to beat my opponent and beat the referees that were trying to cheat me. That was more stressful and that was more nerve-wracking to me.”

On whether it adds pressure that his opponent is not well known: “It’s like this: If I beat him, then I would get no credit anyway. If he beats me, then I’m a bum or the dude’s real good. To me, it’s just a fight. I’m not worried about names. Names mean nothing.”

On whether he’s ready for the tournament format and what could be a grueling year: “I think so. I went to Holland. I was there for a whole month. … My schedule was like this: I’d wake up at 5:30 in the morning, train from 7 a.m. to 11:30, come back at 6 and train till 8:30 p.m. I put myself through a month of hell. It’s not over. I’m in Vegas right now training with Jeff Mayweather, sparring with two-time Olympian Michael Hunter and rolling with Roy Nelson and sparring with Roy Nelson and boxing with other guys in the gym. I’m putting my body through hell to make sure I’m prepared.”

On how he’ll train knowing he could be fighting every four weeks: “You’ve got to be careful. You have to peak but not peak. For my fight, I’ll be in shape, but real talk: I won’t be in the best shape of my life. Even the second fight, I’ll be in a little better shape than the first fight. Third fight, I’m going to peak. I’ll be peaked in my third fight and then I’ll bring it down, wait a few weeks before I train again, bring it down and slowly ease back into it and peak again for the title fight. That’s how you’ve got to do it. It’s called periodization. I don’t think a lot of people in the fight game understand that, especially MMA.”

On whether the tournament format will affect how he approaches each fight: “No, because to me, I’ll go out there and knock you out. If I don’t knock you out, I’m going to go out there to beat you up. Regardless, my goal is to try to finish the fight. If it goes all three rounds and I’m a little bruised up, well, the ice bath will be my best friend for the next three or four weeks before my next fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:31:43).

Comments

Bellator 182 post-event facts: Unbeaten A.J. McKee makes history

Go inside the numbers from this past Friday’s Bellator 182 event in Verona, N.Y., which saw featherweight A.J. McKee set a new standard.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants eventual title shot, but knows weight comes first

Fernando Gonzalez moved to an impressive 7-1 in Bellator this past Friday, but knows he has to get his weight cuts figured out, and soon.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen happy with big win over Veta Arteaga, but in no rush with her career

After edging Veta Arteaga at Bellator 182 win, Bruna Ellen is satisfied with how the strategy to halt her opponent’s aggression panned out.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Brooke Mayo booked opposite debuting Kaytlin Neil at Bellator 183 in San Jose

After an unsuccessful, but gritty, Bellator debut, Brooke Mayo is set to welcome Kaytlin Neil into the Bellator cage.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator signs prospect Tyree Fortune, twin brother of heavyweight Tyrell Fortune

Bellator has doubled its Fortune.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Despite another long layoff, Siyar Bahadurzada staying positive at UFC Fight Night 115

Despite another long layoff, this time for a year and a half, Siyar Bahadurzada is ready to crush his goals at UFC Fight Night 115.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2523 with Cynthia Calvillo and Fernando Gonzalez

Stream or download Wednesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Cynthia Calvillo and Fernando Gonzalez.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Bellator Veteran Sergio Da Silva Arrested After Alleged Involvement in Bank Robbery | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator veteran Sergio Da Silva has been arrested in connection with a bank robbery that took place in New York just a few days ago. According to a report from TMZ, Da Silva was arrested after alleg read news >>

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

MMA Fighter Sergio Da Silva Reportedly Arrested for Alleged Bank Robbery

Mixed martial artist Sergio Da Silva, who competed at Bellator 180 in June, reportedly was arrested Thursday after allegedly robbing a bank in New York City. According to TMZ Sports, Da Silva is accu read news >>