MENU
#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Cody Garbrandt #UFC 207 #Donald Cerrone


King Mo Lawal - StrikeforceFormer Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal has found new life after a stale end to the time he had with his previous employers.

Lawal signed a multi-year agreement with Bellator Fighting Championships as well as TNA wrestling after being released from Strikeforce earlier in 2012.

The former champion says that his passion for competing in Strikeforce died when the promotion sold to Zuffa, LLC, the same company that owns and operates the UFC. At that point, the promotion he was fighting for was no longer fighting for No. 1 and it just didn’t sit right with him.

“As far as me losing my spark and intensity I always had it, but when Strikeforce was sold, it was like, when I was fighting for Strikeforce it’s like we’re going against the grain. We’re trying to be the top people here. We’re fighting for respect,” said Lawal on Wednesday.

“Then when Strikeforce was purchased, the whole demeanor of it changed. I was like, whatever, I’m over it. But now that I’m with Bellator, and Bellator’s in the same situation that Strikeforce was in, we’re fighting for respect, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to fight my ass off so we can get this respect as an organization.”

Fighting to be No. 1 is something Lawal has strived for his entire career, whether it was in wrestling or when he moved into mixed martial arts, and he wants to fight for a promotion that is gunning for the top spot as well.

Lawal is adamant when saying that Bellator won’t be a minor league for the UFC, and their goal is to be No. 1 or do everything that it can to get there.

“I don’t want people to think of Bellator as a feeder program,” said Lawal. “Bellator is trying to be the top dog, and I feel like with people like me and with (Michael) Chandler and Ben Askren and a few others fighting in Bellator, people will take notice and see these fights.”

Despite not having fought for Bellator yet, and not even making his debut for the promotion until 2013, Lawal is confident he made the right decision signing with them.

He’s a happier man dealing with Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney than he was in the brief time he dealt with UFC president Dana White, and for him it all comes down to respect.

Dana White and them wanted me to wait till September. Wait for what? Wait for uncertainty? I don’t know Dana; Dana don’t know me. He don’t owe me nothing; I don’t owe him nothing,” Lawal said.

“What I was thinking about was he went out of his way to bash me a few times in interviews, but he doesn’t know me, never talked to me before. We might have said hi to each other, but we don’t know each other. So why should I sit around and wait for a guy that’s quick to bash me when he doesn’t know me? I’m off in a better place right now for me especially with Bjorn, he shows me respect, he’s a cool dude, quiet, not too outspoken, and respectful of all the fighters.”

Before he makes his debut in the Bellator light heavyweight tournament on Spike TV in 2013, Lawal will first make an appearance as part of his TNA contract on Thursday night.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Dana White clowns anyone who thinks Gokhan Saki's UFC debut win was stopped early

  • 26 days ago
  • 13 views

Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Rips the Gökhan Saki Doubters | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 39 views

If you think kickboxing legend Gökhan Saki's fight was stopped too early, just walk away. That's basically the message from UFC president Dana White, who addressed those that felt criticized Saki's f read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 at UFC 219 in Las Vegas? Dana White says nope

  • 25 days ago
  • 73 views

Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Responds to Reports of Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 54 views

Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>

Dana White: UFC Donating $1 Million to Las Vegas Shooting Victims

  • 17 days ago
  • 7 views

Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>

Tony Ferguson Surprises Kevin Lee and Dana White During UFC 216 Face-Offs (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 15 days ago
  • 991 views

Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>

NSAC: Kurt Holobaugh used illegal IV prior to Dana White's Contender Series 1 win

  • 14 days ago
  • 5 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission alleges Kurt Holobaugh used an illegal IV prior to “Dana White’s Contender Series 1.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White says more than 1,500 Las Vegas shooting first responders will be at UFC 216

  • 13 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: UFC 216 to Host More Than 1,500 First Responders and Several Shooting Victims | MMAWeekly.com

  • 13 days ago
  • 15 views

In the wake of the horrific Las Vegas shooting last weekend, UFC 216 is set to host more than 1,500 first responders and several of the shooting victims. read news >>

Dana White Says UFC 216 Tickets Will Be Free for 1st Responders

  • 13 days ago
  • 4 views

The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>