#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Nate Diaz #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis

With UFC president Dana White all but confirming that Conor McGregor will defend his title against Tony Ferguson in his next bout, undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov is looking to spoil “El Cucuy’s” party.

Ferguson earned his shot at McGregor by defeating Kevin Lee at UFC 216 to win the interim lightweight title. An interim title typically locks the winner of said title into a unification bout with the champion when he is ready to fight, which is currently McGregor.

White said during a podcast on Sunday that McGregor’s likely next fight would be in Las Vegas against Ferguson, presumably on Dec. 30 at UFC 219. Nurmagomedov doesn’t think that’s the fight to make. He, of course, feels he should be somewhere in the mix.

Nurmagomedov is 24-0 and is currently ranked No. 2 in the lightweight division behind Ferguson. He wants to throw a wrench in the works and finally fight Ferguson after several failed attempts by the two to get into the Octagon.

Tony Ferguson - Khabib Nurmagomedov - Conor McGregorReturning from a lengthy amount of time off recovering from illness and injury, he wants a title fight… against Ferguson.

“I hope UFC gives me a championship fight. End of the year, I want to take everything back; attention, belts. I want to take everything. End of the year, I want to fix everything,” he said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “And we’ll see what happens. But first of all, I think UFC has to make the fight, Conor versus Nate Diaz 3, and after, me and Tony.

“Because, my opinion, I think Tony Ferguson is the real champion. That’s why. I don’t think, if I fight versus Tony Ferguson, this is an interim belt. Officially, yes. But people want to see me versus Tony Ferguson. I think this is a much better fight, for everything. If I beat Tony Ferguson and take the interim championship belt… Conor’s the official champion, but he’s not the people’s champion.”

Nurmagomedov has somewhat of a point, as McGregor hasn’t fought mixed martial arts in nearly a year, when he won the lightweight title. He was also the featherweight champion and never defended the title in that weight class.

Of course, it’s not like Nurmagomedov can crow too loudly. After all, he has had his own troubles. He has been slated to face Ferguson on at least three prior occasions, most recently missing out at UFC 209 when he fell ill due to a botched weight cut. And that wasn’t the first time that Nurmagomedov struggled with making weight.

That coupled with several injuries means Nurmagomedov has fought sparingly since 2013. In fact, he has only fought three times in the past four years.

“I understand a lot of fans, they treat me like ‘hey, you have to fight,’ but I agree with this. It’s why I try to come back. It’s why I go into hospital, have surgeries,” he said. “I agree with fans; I have to fight. I have to make weight. I have to stay professional sometimes. I agree with this.

“But when I fight, I all the time smash my opponents. All the time, when I fight. Now I have one goal, fight end of the year in one dream fight. This is fight against Tony Ferguson. This is what I want.”

It may be what Nurmagomedov wants, but it appears unlikely to happen. Ever since Ferguson defeated Lee, White has been steadfast in his belief that Ferguson should be next for McGregor. He has consistently denied that Diaz is even a consideration.

So for now, Nurmagomedov may have to adhere what his critics are saying. He may have to come back and take another fight against the likes of Edson Barboza or the winner of Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez, proving that he can make weight and remain healthy before he gets a crack at the belt.

Galleries

Conor McGregor Fights

• a year ago

Khabib Nurmagomedov Fights

• 8 months ago

Tony Ferguson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Conor McGregor's Coach: Tony Ferguson Looks Like 'More Logical' Fight Than Nate Diaz | MMAWeekly.com

It appears Conor McGregor might be gearing up for a title unification bout after all. The reigning lightweight champion is still pondering the date for his return to the Octagon, but McGregor and his read news >>

Conor McGregor Explains Why 'It's Hard to Get Excited' To Fight Tony Ferguson | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor says Tony Ferguson isn't much of a draw and it's going to be tough to get excited for that fight read news >>

Edson Barboza Declares Tony Ferguson, Not Conor McGregor, is the True Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Edson Barboza doesn't really consider Conor McGregor the true UFC lightweight champion. read news >>

Commissioner Claims UFC Pulled Conor McGregor from Year-End Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

Though Conor McGregor has never appeared close to a done deal for UFC 219, he has allegedly been pulled for jumping in the cage in Dublin. read news >>

Why Did Conor McGregor Get Sent Away at UFC Gdansk? | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor was in attendance at UFC Fight Night 118 on Saturday in Gdansk, Poland, to support teammate Artem Lobov, but got rebuked by the referee. read news >>

Conor McGregor Claims Nate Diaz is the Only Fighter to Wobble Him | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor recently claimed that Nate Diaz is the only fighter to ever wobble him in a fight. read news >>

Conor McGregor Cageside as Andre Fili Topples Artem Lobov (UFC Gdansk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Andre Fili's win over Artem Lobov, as Lobov's teammate Conor McGregor got fired up at cageside at UFC Fight Night 118 on Saturday. read news >>

AJ McKee Wins Main Event, but Conor McGregor Steals the Show at Bellator 187 | MMAWeekly.com

AJ McKee survived a tough battle to win the Bellator 187 main event on Friday in Dublin, Ireland, but it was Conor McGregor who stole the show. read news >>

Conor McGregor Opens as Betting Favorite Over Oscar De La Hoya | MMAWeekly.com

Oscar De La Hoya called out Conor McGregor, but he was surely surprised that McGregor would open as the favorite. read news >>

Referee Marc Goddard Responds to Conor McGregor's Actions at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Referee Marc Goddard has broken his silence just days after an altercation with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor in Ireland at Bellator 187. The situation unfolded after Goddard appeared to st read news >>