#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Jon Jones #Conor McGregor #Justin Gaethje #Heroes of Honor #Kevin Lee #Alexander Gustafsson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Daniel Cormier #Nate Diaz #Tony Ferguson #UFC 217

Khabib Nurmagomedov Trying to Block Conor McGregor vs. Tony Ferguson | MMAWeekly.com

With UFC president Dana White all but confirming that Conor McGregor will defend his title against Tony Ferguson in his next bout, undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov is looking to spoil “El Cucuy’s” party.

Ferguson earned his shot at McGregor by defeating Kevin Lee at UFC 216 to win the interim lightweight title. An interim title typically locks the winner of said title into a unification bout with the champion when he is ready to fight, which is currently McGregor.

White said during a podcast on Sunday that McGregor’s likely next fight would be in Las Vegas against Ferguson, presumably on Dec. 30 at UFC 219. Nurmagomedov doesn’t think that’s the fight to make. He, of course, feels he should be somewhere in the mix.

Nurmagomedov is 24-0 and is currently ranked No. 2 in the lightweight division behind Ferguson. He wants to throw a wrench in the works and finally fight Ferguson after several failed attempts by the two to get into the Octagon.

Tony Ferguson - Khabib Nurmagomedov - Conor McGregorReturning from a lengthy amount of time off recovering from illness and injury, he wants a title fight… against Ferguson.

“I hope UFC gives me a championship fight. End of the year, I want to take everything back; attention, belts. I want to take everything. End of the year, I want to fix everything,” he said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “And we’ll see what happens. But first of all, I think UFC has to make the fight, Conor versus Nate Diaz 3, and after, me and Tony.

“Because, my opinion, I think Tony Ferguson is the real champion. That’s why. I don’t think, if I fight versus Tony Ferguson, this is an interim belt. Officially, yes. But people want to see me versus Tony Ferguson. I think this is a much better fight, for everything. If I beat Tony Ferguson and take the interim championship belt… Conor’s the official champion, but he’s not the people’s champion.”

Nurmagomedov has somewhat of a point, as McGregor hasn’t fought mixed martial arts in nearly a year, when he won the lightweight title. He was also the featherweight champion and never defended the title in that weight class.

Of course, it’s not like Nurmagomedov can crow too loudly. After all, he has had his own troubles. He has been slated to face Ferguson on at least three prior occasions, most recently missing out at UFC 209 when he fell ill due to a botched weight cut. And that wasn’t the first time that Nurmagomedov struggled with making weight.

That coupled with several injuries means Nurmagomedov has fought sparingly since 2013. In fact, he has only fought three times in the past four years.

“I understand a lot of fans, they treat me like ‘hey, you have to fight,’ but I agree with this. It’s why I try to come back. It’s why I go into hospital, have surgeries,” he said. “I agree with fans; I have to fight. I have to make weight. I have to stay professional sometimes. I agree with this.

“But when I fight, I all the time smash my opponents. All the time, when I fight. Now I have one goal, fight end of the year in one dream fight. This is fight against Tony Ferguson. This is what I want.”

It may be what Nurmagomedov wants, but it appears unlikely to happen. Ever since Ferguson defeated Lee, White has been steadfast in his belief that Ferguson should be next for McGregor. He has consistently denied that Diaz is even a consideration.

So for now, Nurmagomedov may have to adhere what his critics are saying. He may have to come back and take another fight against the likes of Edson Barboza or the winner of Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez, proving that he can make weight and remain healthy before he gets a crack at the belt.

Galleries

Conor McGregor Fights

• a year ago

Khabib Nurmagomedov Fights

• a year ago

Tony Ferguson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Conor McGregor Reacts to Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov Being Scrapped Again | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor may not have a fight booked but the UFC lightweight champion is always watching. On Monday, McGregor offered up his reaction to the news that Tony Ferguson had been forced out of the U read news >>

Conor McGregor and Tony Ferguson Stripped of Lightweight Titles | MMAWeekly.com

After Saturday night, Khabib Nurmagomedov is the one and only UFC lightweight champion. While it was a week filled with all sorts of twists and turns including opponent changes, an assault on a bus a read news >>

Joe Rogan & Jimmy Smith Preview UFC 223: Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov | MMAWeekly.com

UFC commentators Joe Rogan and Jimmy Smith preview the highly anticipated UFC 223 lightweight championship bout between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov Trade Insults During UFC 223 Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

?? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) The four fighters competing in championship bouts at UFC 223 on April 7 fielded questions from the media during Wednesday's UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib Med read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Dream Fight is Georges St-Pierre, Not Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson has dream fights like everybody else in the UFC but he might be one of the few people who doesn't seem to care much about ever facing Conor McGregor. As it turns out, Ferguson is happy read news >>

Tony Ferguson Out; Max Holloway Faces Khabib Nurmagomedov in New UFC 223 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

A knee injury has forced interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson out of UFC 223 but in his place will step featherweight king Max Holloway who will face Khabib Nurmagomedov in the new main event t read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Was Never an Option to Replace Tony Ferguson at UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson suffering an injury forced the UFC to search for a last minute replacement to face Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 but it turns out Conor McGregor was never an option. While it might see read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Has Some Advice for Injured Tony Ferguson | MMAWeekly.com

The news broke on Sunday that interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson has been forced to withdraw from the UFC 223 main event against Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Dana White Says He Will 'Never' Book Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov Again | MMAWeekly.com

Four times scheduled and four times cancelled is enough for Dana White to say he's never going to book Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov again read news >>

Tony Furgeson Fires Back at Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz's Jeers | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson had some sharp retorts to the jeers that Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz lobbed in his direction after he withdrew from UFC 223. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Believes Conor McGregor is Inevitable, but Wants to Fight Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov realizes Conor McGregor is more likely to be in his near future, but he would rather fight Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Dana White: Tony Ferguson Not Being Stripped, Only Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

When Tony Ferguson was forced out of the UFC 223 main event due to injury, UFC president Dana White said that his interim title would "go away." read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Comments on Confrontation with Conor McGregor's Teammate Artem Lobov (UFC 223) | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) Early Wednesday morning video emerged of a heated confrontation between unbeaten lightweight title contender Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor's teammat read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Says Georges St-Pierre More Important than Conor McGregor for His Legacy | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor may be the hottest property in mixed martial arts history, but when it comes down to legacy, Khabib Nurmagomedov believes the Irishman isn't even close to the athlete that Georges St-P read news >>

Opening odds: New UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov favored over Conor McGregor (and Tony Ferguson)

Whether you’re looking at the rankings or the opening odds, one thing seems clear: new UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is the new king of lightweights. read news >>

Tony Ferguson Reveals Gruesome Knee Surgery Photo | MMAWeekly.com

The lightweight showdown between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov in the UFC 223 main event was one of the most anticipated match-ups in UFC history. After Ferguson was forced out of the fight d read news >>

Search for: