MENU
#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #Neiman Gracie #UFC 216 #Zak Bucia #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP


Kenny Robertson

It’s hard to imagine a fighter becoming untouchable after being released from the UFC, but that’s the unenviable position that welterweight Kenny Robertson currently sits in.

Debuting in the UFC with a 10-0 record, Robertson was a highly touted prospect who had fought in several promotions including Bellator Fighting Championships.

In his first fight, Robertson came up short, losing by TKO to Mike Pierce and then was promptly released from the promotion.

According to Robertson’s manager Nick Thompson, he was a casualty of the merger between the UFC and WEC because of how many fighters were on the roster at the time.

“He was cut by the UFC because of the WEC merger, prior to Strikeforce, as you know they had an overflow and were cutting people. In fact, Joe Silva told me ‘I don’t want to cut this guy, but it would be a year till he fought if he stays with us.’ So we figured they cut him, no big deal, we’ll get him a few wins and back in (the UFC),” Thompson explained to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday.

The problem thus far has been finding the few fights for him to get wins.

Thompson says that when the offers come in, once the opponent finds out that it’s Kenny Robertson’s name on the other end of the bout agreement, they haven’t been quick to accept any longer.

“We got a couple of fight offers, somebody will call me looking for a 170lber, and I’m like we’ve got Kenny Robertson, we’ll take it for the money they’ve offered so we’re not arguing about anything like that, then the opponent will say ‘nope’,” Thompson said.

Robertson is running into a similar issue that plagued former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ competitor Eliot Marshall when he was released from the UFC.

Marshall was 3-1 in the UFC, but released after a loss to Vladdy Matyushenko. After that time, it became painfully obvious to the Colorado fighter that despite his UFC credentials, other opponents weren’t jumping at the chance to face him or become a stepping stone on his way to making it back to the Octagon.

Robertson is walking very much the same path.

It’s now been almost six months since Robertson stepped foot in the cage or ring with an opponent standing across from him. Thompson continues to burn up the phone lines waiting for a welterweight and promotion who are willing to face his fighter, but right now the opponents aren’t lining up.

“Good question,” Thompson answered when asked what’s the next step. “Once we get someone that will fight him, it will be easier to get him more and more fights. But right now nobody wants to bring him in to fight a hometown guy. The end goal is to go back to the UFC.”

While Robertson is far from holding a sign that says ‘will fight for food’, he wants to get back to the UFC and the only way to do that is to face top competition outside the Octagon and make sure matchmaker Joe Silva sees it.

The only problem so far is finding that first opponent to step up and accept a fight.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

UFC Fight Night 117 Medical Suspensions: Three Fighters Face Three-Month Layoffs | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 30 views

The UFC released the medical suspensions stemming from Friday's UFC Fight Night 117 on Monday. Three fighters from the fight card that took place at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan face potenti read news >>

UFC releases statement on Las Vegas shooting; fighters react to tragedy

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

The UFC has released a statement on Sunday’s mass shooting on the Las Vegas strip.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ian McCall Granted His Release from the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 16 views

Flyweight fighter Ian McCall has been granted his release from the UFC after asking the organization to void his contract recently. UFC officials confirmed the news to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday. McCal read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

  • 21 days ago
  • 280 views

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

UFC Donating All Profits from Vegas Strong T-Shirts | MMAWeekly.com

  • 13 days ago
  • 4 views

In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, UFC has released special "Vegas Strong" t-shirts and is donating 100-percent of the profits. read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

  • 13 days ago
  • 11 views

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ian McCall fires manager, then gets release from UFC after $100,000 demand

  • 11 days ago
  • 139 views

Veteran flyweight Ian McCall today asked for his release from UFC contract after the promotion denied his demand for a $100,000 payout in his next fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg, Several Others, Could Be Sideline Until 2018 After UFC 216 Suspensions Issued | MMAWeekly.com

  • 11 days ago
  • 16 views

Despite a hard-fought battle with Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson escaped the fight unscathed. Lee wasn't as lucky. Lee's situation isn't serious, however, as he received a minimal suspension for a possible read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 11 days ago
  • 31 views

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Georges St-Pierre adds former opponent Jake Shields to UFC 217 training camp

  • 11 days ago
  • 36 views

Georges St-Pierre has enlisted the help of a former opponent ahead of his UFC 217 title fight with Michael Bisping.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>