#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

Former three-time UFC title challenger Kenny Florian has retired as an active competitor.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement following “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale weigh-ins on Fuel TV. Florian was then introduced, explaining the motivation behind his decision.

“I’ve dealt with injuries in the past. Back in November, I hurt my back working out, and it hasn’t quite been the same,” Florian told host and broadcast partner Jon Anik. “I’ve been trying to get back by doing rehab, but a few weeks ago I kind of injured it again. It has been tough not being able to train. I don’t want to do anything half-assed. I want to do it 100 percent. Your identity becomes what you do, and it has been tough [to make this decision].”

Florian ends his Octagon career with a promotional record of 12-5, debuting with the organization as a blown-up middleweight on the original season of “TUF.” After falling in the season finale to winner Diego Sanchez in 2005, “KenFlo” squared off with Sean Sherk for the vacant lightweight strap the following year, falling in a five-round unanimous decision. Six consecutive victories would follow, but Florian once again came up short in his bid to capture the lightweight title, this time suffering a submission loss to B.J. Penn in 2009.

Florian capped his career at featherweight, topping Diego Nunes this past June to earn a shot at 145-pound pacesetter Jose Aldo. The Massachusetts native would again taste defeat in his third UFC title fight, however, dropping a unanimous nod to the hard-hitting Brazilian at UFC 136 this past October.

Though Florian will no longer appear inside the cage, the 36-year-old says fans will see plenty of him on the other side of the chain-link fence.

“I’m so thankful that I’m able to do commentary and do shows like ‘UFC Tonight.’ I’m definitely going to be busy doing stuff on TV for this sport. I’m going to be coaching. I’m opening a gym in the L.A. area soon, and I’m going to get a blog going, because I’m passionate about health and nutrition.”

Florian could not nail down one single career-defining highlight, but the fighter told Anik that he is thankful for all the positive moments in his career, including the opportunity to compete inside the Octagon.

“I don’t know what I would have done if Dana hadn’t [seen me fight and asked me to try out for ‘TUF’],” said Florian. “I’m just so thankful to the UFC and Zuffa for everything they’ve done. Fighting found me, and I’m a much better person because of it. I’m happy.”

Comments

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg issued California boxing license, appears serious about in-ring career

UFC champion Cris Cyborg seems poised to find out if her MMA dominance can translate to the boxing ring.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Alex White Retires Mitch Clarke (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Alex White's victory over Mitch Clarke at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

Jesse Taylor Popped for Potential UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor made a miraculous turnaround in his career only to have it shrouded in doubt after he was flagged for a potential UFC anti-doping violation. read news >>

Urijah Faber defends 'gentleman' and fellow DWCS commentator Snoop Dogg

After working with Snoop Dogg on Dana White’s Contender Series, retired UFC vet Urijah Faber has nothing but nice things to say about the rapper: “The way he treated me and other people was pretty gr read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

Charles Rosa Looks To Break Familiar Pattern In Japan

Charles Rosa’s UFC career has seen the star continually win at home in Boston, while losing his matches when he fights on the road. Still, each of those road losses resulted in performance bonuses, w read news >>