Former three-time UFC title challenger Kenny Florian has retired as an active competitor.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement following “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale weigh-ins on Fuel TV. Florian was then introduced, explaining the motivation behind his decision.

“I’ve dealt with injuries in the past. Back in November, I hurt my back working out, and it hasn’t quite been the same,” Florian told host and broadcast partner Jon Anik. “I’ve been trying to get back by doing rehab, but a few weeks ago I kind of injured it again. It has been tough not being able to train. I don’t want to do anything half-assed. I want to do it 100 percent. Your identity becomes what you do, and it has been tough [to make this decision].”

Florian ends his Octagon career with a promotional record of 12-5, debuting with the organization as a blown-up middleweight on the original season of “TUF.” After falling in the season finale to winner Diego Sanchez in 2005, “KenFlo” squared off with Sean Sherk for the vacant lightweight strap the following year, falling in a five-round unanimous decision. Six consecutive victories would follow, but Florian once again came up short in his bid to capture the lightweight title, this time suffering a submission loss to B.J. Penn in 2009.

Florian capped his career at featherweight, topping Diego Nunes this past June to earn a shot at 145-pound pacesetter Jose Aldo. The Massachusetts native would again taste defeat in his third UFC title fight, however, dropping a unanimous nod to the hard-hitting Brazilian at UFC 136 this past October.

Though Florian will no longer appear inside the cage, the 36-year-old says fans will see plenty of him on the other side of the chain-link fence.

“I’m so thankful that I’m able to do commentary and do shows like ‘UFC Tonight.’ I’m definitely going to be busy doing stuff on TV for this sport. I’m going to be coaching. I’m opening a gym in the L.A. area soon, and I’m going to get a blog going, because I’m passionate about health and nutrition.”

Florian could not nail down one single career-defining highlight, but the fighter told Anik that he is thankful for all the positive moments in his career, including the opportunity to compete inside the Octagon.

“I don’t know what I would have done if Dana hadn’t [seen me fight and asked me to try out for ‘TUF’],” said Florian. “I’m just so thankful to the UFC and Zuffa for everything they’ve done. Fighting found me, and I’m a much better person because of it. I’m happy.”

Brock Lesnar Retires from UFC, Exits Drug-Testing Pool | MMAWeekly.com

Brock Lesnar has retired from the UFC, effectively removing himself from the USADA drug testing pool. read news >>

Ex-champ Johny Hendricks promises rebirth of fallen career at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Johny Hendricks has a pep in his step that he said has been absent for several years as he approaches Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 showdown with Hector Lombard.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

How to Watch Fight Night Lewis vs Browne

International broadcast listings for UFC Fight Night Lewis vs Browne from Halifax, Canada read news >>

Lineup, broadcast plans set for next month's UFC 209 with two title fights

The 10-fight broadcast lineup for next month’s double-title UFC 209 event has been finalized.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 208

The UFC will add a new champion to the fold when Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie close out UFC 208 on Saturday, February 11, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The main event features read news >>