#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #UFC Fight Night 118 #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig

Kendall Grove UFC 80
by Kendall Grove ~ special to MMAWeekly.com

Former Ultimate Fighter winner Kendall Grove will be blogging exclusively for MMAWeekly.com leading up to his June 16 bout with Terry Martin at ShoFights in Missouri.

This is the first edition of his blog:

On Saturday, June 16th, I will take on Terry Martin for the first-ever ShoFIGHT middleweight belt in Missouri. It’s a great fight between two guys who really couldn’t be much different. I’m 6’6” with a pretty long reach. Terry is 5’7”…so I will clearly have quite the reach advantage. I’ve got the edge on the ground while he’s more of a standup fighter. I’ve won two of his last three scraps, while he’s won four of his last five fights.

So you could say we have some differences and similarities. I’ve done my research.

Martin is a tough dude…there’s no question about that. He’s beat some top guys, including Chael Sonnen, Jorge Rivera, and Ivan Salaverry. So I don’t doubt his ability to make a very good showing. He hits very hard, and, ironically, though he’s not known for his ground game, he’s never been submitted.

I’d like to be the first.

However, I’ve got the feeling this is going to be a standup war. So I’ve been training hard in Hawaii, really working on my standup. By the time I step into the cage in a week and a half or so, I’m going to be ready. My weight is right where I need it to be. I’m mentally prepared.

In my last fight, I lost to Jay Silva. It was pretty tough to take, especially since it was by submission. In almost twenty-five pro fights, I’d only been submitted once before then. And, I’d also won two straight coming into the bout. I wanted that win badly.

It just wasn’t my night. Which makes my fight with Martin that much more important. I want that belt. I want to knock him out, or be the very first to submit him. It’s been about three years since I knocked someone out, which is too long for me. But I’ll take the win any way I can get it.

I need to rebound from the Silva loss and show that I am still on the rise as a fighter.

Losses can be so hard to deal with. I have a beautiful wife, great kids, my own gym. Those things help me cope. But I want to get on a nice, long winning streak. I want to string together a bunch of wins.

I’m still fighting quality fighters in quality promotions, so I’m still getting opportunities. But I want to make the sure I’m taking advantage of each of them. I’m ready to represent my gym, my training partners, my state, and myself. I plan to take home the win and the belt.

Comments

Fighters React to Tony Ferguson Winning Interim UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson became the interim lightweight champion on Saturday by submitting Kevin Lee in the UFC 216 main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

Watch Rizin FF Featuring Sakuraba vs. Shamrock Live (Sunday 1 am ET / Saturday 10 pm PT) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Rizin World Grand Prix 2017: Autumn live via Pay-Per-View for $19.99 on Sunday at 1 a.m. ET (Saturday at 10 p.m. PT) on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Watch the Bellator 185 Prelims, Streaming Live and Free | MMAWeekly.com

• 57 minutes ago

The Bellator 185 Prelims stream live and free on MMAWeekly.com. The prelims stream begins at 6:30 p.m. ET / 3:30 p.m PT. read news >>

UFC Star Julianna Pena is Pregnant | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight contender Julianna Pena is pregnant. Pena hasn't set foot in the Octagon since she lost to Valentina Shevchenko at UFC on FOX 25 in January, and now it looks like she won't be return read news >>

Watch Donald Cerrone Blast Rick Story (UFC Poland Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Before he face Darren Till, check out Donald Cerrone's impressive knockout finish of Rick Story. read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Endorses a Ronda Rousey Move to WWE | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of TMZSports | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Ronda Rousey has been teasing a move away from her career in the UFC to a professional wrestling stint in the W read news >>

Donald Cerrone Playing with Snakes Ahead of UFC Gdansk | MMAWeekly.com

So, what does Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone do for fun when he's just days removed from his next fight? Hint: it involves a poisonous snake. read news >>

Does Conor McGregor Have the Grim Reaper Coming for Him? | MMAWeekly.com

All signs are starting to point to a future showdown between UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor and interim titleholder Tony Ferguson, but "El Cucuy" isn't leaving anything to chance. He has ram read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Fans Slam Michael Bisping at NHL Game | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping did not get a warm welcome from Georges St-Pierre's Canadian fans. read news >>

Grant Dawson Took Out Adrian Diaz, Earned UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Not only did Grant Dawson take out Adrian Diaz in week 6 of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series, he captured a UFC contract in the process. read news >>