#UFC 216 #Rizin 7 #Conor McGregor #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Michael Bisping #Demetrious Johnson

Kendall Grove UFC 80
by Kendall Grove – special to MMAWeekly.com

Former Ultimate Fighter winner Kendall Grove blogs exclusively for MMAWeekly.com leading up to his fight now against Derek Brunson this weekend in Missouri.

In this edition, Grove discusses the change of opponents last minute and how he’s somehow already the underdog just hours after the fight gets made:

Here we go…we’re down to the last few days before my scrap for the ShoFIGHT middleweight championship. There’s been a big change, as my original opponent, Terry Martin, had to drop out. I don’t really know the details on that, but to be honest, I don’t really care. I am ready to fight. That’s all that matters to me. They could put anybody in there with me. Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Luke Rockhold, Tim Kennedy…it doesn’t matter to me. I am ready for whatever.

I am a fighter. This is what I do to make a living. It doesn’t matter who I fight. All I want is the biggest, best fights I can get. I want to leave a legacy. I want titles, yes, but big fights are the goal at this point.

Anyway, I just got word that my new opponent will be Derek Brunson. He’s a Strikeforce fighter, and undefeated…a very tough dude. When I got the call asking if I’d take on Brunson, I said yes without hesitation. I’m ready.

The funny thing is that I’ve already started hearing people question my decision to take the fight on such short notice. Brunson is still on the rise, while most would say Martin has already reached his peak. So most say Brunson is a tougher fight for me. I’m not so sure that’s the case.

Brunson is young. He’s got less than ten fights on his resume. I’ve got twenty-five. So there’s an experience difference.

There’s also quite a difference in the level of competition. I’ve faced guys like Ed Herman, Alan Belcher, Patrick Cote, Evan Tanner, Jason Day, Ricardo Almeida, Jake Rosholt, Mark Munoz, Goran Reljic, Demian Maia, Tim Boetsch, Joe Riggs, Minowaman…all very tough fighters.

Brunson doesn’t have anybody like that on his list. I haven’t fought a “non-name” fighter in seven years. Brunson turned pro just two years ago. So while there’s no question he’s got talent, I’ve got the experience to go along with my skills.

You know, in today’s media-driven society, most fights are seemingly decided before the fighters even get in the cage. And even though the Brunson change just got announced, it seems I’ve already been deemed the underdog.

Some would even say I’ve reached my peak as a fighter, that winning The Ultimate Fighter was the highest mountain I’ll reach in my career. I’ve got to disagree with that. I’m not even thirty yet. I’m still in my prime, and I am ready to prove that I still have a lot left in me.

I will win titles. I will main event more big fight cards. And this Saturday in Springfield, Missouri, I get the chance to prove all that. Too bad Derek Brunson is the one standing in my way.

Comments

Watch Ovince Saint Preux Make Quick Work of Shogun Rua (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Ovince Saint Preux make quick work of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a quick, brutal finish. read news >>

Luke Rockhold: 'Georges St-Pierre Is Going to Get Crushed by Michael Bisping' | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold says Georges St-Pierre is going to get 'crushed' by middleweight titleholder Michael Bisping at UFC 217. read news >>

ONE: Total Victory Fight Highlights Include 11-Second Knockout | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) The ONE: TOTAL VICTORY main event saw former ONE Flyweight World Champion Kairat Akhmetov score a close three-round split decision victory over the Philippines read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

Joe Rogan Thinks Conor McGregor Will Return to Boxing | MMAWeekly.com

UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan thinks that Conor McGregor might not be done with his ventures in boxing. read news >>

Max Holloway Met with UFC, Confident He Will Fight Again in 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

Following his TKO win over Jose Aldo in June, featherweight champion Max Holloway planned on meeting with the UFC to engage in negotiations for a new contract that would treat him as one of the compa read news >>

Controversial Judge from Canelo vs. Golovkin Pulled from UFC 216 Duties | MMAWeekly.com

A scoring controversy surrounding the boxing match this past weekend between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin has resulted in a judging change for the upcoming UFC 216 card in Las Veg read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Coach Wants Her to Fight Cris Cyborg in Final Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey hasn't uttered a word about a return to fighting, but her coach wants her to fight once more against Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Michael Bisping Might Retire After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is considering retirement after he fights Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

UFC 216 Ferguson vs. Lee Extended Preview: Two Title Fights | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC 216 video preview with two title fights on tap! Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee tops the card, while Demetrious Johnson attempts to make history. read news >>