#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

The narrative is plain for anyone who cares to look.

If Karl Amoussou can catch Ben Askren early in tonight’s Bellator 86main event, he might have a chance to wrest away the welterweight title. If not, most believe Askren will grind the Frenchman down for 25-minutes, with Amoussou helpless to resist the wrestler’s potent grappling attack.

Amoussou, however, disagrees that his chances of victory lie only in the bout’s early rounds. Rather, “Psycho” says he is ready to compete for as long as it takes on Thursday night at the Winstar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla.

“I feel ready for five rounds, or perhaps even more,” Amoussou recently said during a media conference call. “Every fight is different. In every fight I’ve [used] quite a lot of high rhythm and tried to win the fight in a different way. My fight rhythm is very [fast-paced], but don’t worry about my cardio. I’m good.”

Though Amoussou will likely enjoy a striking advantage when he meets “Funky” live on Spike TV, he must nevertheless deal with Askren’s wrestling ability, which measures among the best in all of mixed martial arts. Still, Amoussou says he is prepared to meet Askren wherever the fight may be decided.

“I think obviously Ben is a very good wrestler, but that’s not a surprise to anybody. I think I’m the most well-rounded fighter, and you never know what is going to happen with me, so I think that is what gives me the biggest advantage in this fight,” said Amoussou. “Wherever the fight goes, I’m ready for it. A big mistake to make would be to think that Askren is only a wrestler. It would be a very big mistake to underestimate his boxing and ground game, so I’m taking him very seriously. I’m going to fight an MMA fighter, not a wrestler, and I’m ready to fight in any part of the game.”

Despite his reassurances, Amoussou must also answer questions about worst-case scenarios. Namely, how will the Frenchman handle Askren’s pressure and the boos from the crowd if he winds up underneath the two-time Dan Hodge Trophy winner round after round?

“My nerves are very good. I’m calm and cool, and I’m ready for any type of fight,” said Amoussou. “I’m ready to fight standing up, and I’m ready to wrestle and grapple. The fans will probably boo if the fight goes to the ground and he manages to [impose] his game, but I’m coming to win that belt, so I’m not worried about that.”

In promoting the fight, Amoussou has not minced words when asked about his opinion of Askren’s fighting style, calling the champion “boring,” among other things. Tonight, when Amoussou tries to become the first man to overcome Askren’s smothering excellence in the cage, the “Psycho” says fans will have no trouble distinguishing him from his opponent.

“Watch one of my fights, and then watch one of his fights. You’ll know why I called him boring and why I call myself exciting,” said Amoussou. “We have the complete opposite style. My style is to finish people. His style is to lay and pray for five rounds.”

Comments

Bellator 182's Colleen Schneider will call out Ilima-Lei MacFarlane – with cameras rolling this time

After fighting her first Bellator bout without cameras, Colleen Schneider plans to make a splash at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen eyeing finish over Veta Arteaga now, flyweight belt later

Looking to add a second Bellator win to her 1-1 promotional record, Brazilian flyweight Bruna Ellen is not lacking in confidence.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

In his own lane, Chidi Njokuani doesn't care about anyone else ahead of Bellator 182

Chidi Njokuani has been cruising along, but in classic fighter style, he says it doesn’t matter who it’s been against, or where. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

From mom's death to bad knee: Talita Nogueira's rough road to long-awaited Bellator debut

A lot went into finally making it here, but undefeated featherweight Talita Nogueira is happy and healthy ahead her Bellator debut.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kate Jackson Going to Rely On Technique in Bellator MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

On August 25 in Verona, New York, Kate Jackson (8-2-1) makes her Bellator debut against veteran Colleen Schneider (11-7) in a main card 125-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 182's Brennan Ward wants you excited more than he wants you to see his hand raised

Brennan Ward says it’s more important for you to not be bored by his performance than for him to win – especially right now in Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Four-time NCAA Division II national champion and unbeaten wrestler Joey Davis already is daring to dream big ahead of Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182 live video stream and official results (6:30 p.m. ET)

Bellator 182 takes place tonight, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 6:30 pm ET.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani full live results and fight stats. read news >>

Boxer, Bellator MMA's Heather Hardy: Floyd Mayweather will be aggressive vs. Conor McGregor

Bellator’s Heather Hardy, who competed in both boxing and MMA, is taking Floyd Mayweather at his word about being aggressive.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>