#UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120 #Michael Bisping #Fight One #Conor McGregor #Bellator 188 #TJ Dillashaw #Fight Night Sydney

Martin Kampmann may have gotten a win over Thiago Alves at UFC on FX 2, but it did not unfold the way he had drawn it up.

Alves proved to be the more accurate, powerful fighter throughout much of their headlining welterweight attraction at the Allphones Arena in Sydney. Continually lighting up Kampmann with leg kicks and straight punches, Alves controlled most of the bout’s action.

“I’ll be honest. I’ve got kind of a sore leg right now, even though he didn’t hit me that many times. I was prepared to counter the low kicks with a straight right or block them,” Kampmann said at the post-fight press conference. “I wanted to take him down, because I felt I had the better ground game. Unfortunately, I was walking into some punches on the way in. Sometimes, that’s how it goes.”

Kampmann’s most effective strike of the fight came in round one, when the 29 year old connected with a front kick to Alves’ jaw and followed with a series of punch combinations. However, Alves survived the flurry to finish the round impressively, taking Kampmann down and mounting him.

“I shook him in the first round with that kick, but I knew I probably had to finish him in that third round,” said Kampmann. “Even though I shook him in the first round, he ended up on top of me. And in the second round, he was getting the better of the striking exchanges.”

Continually standing on the end of his opponent’s range, Kampmann had his head snapped back multiple times by Alves in the final two rounds, as the Brazilian settled into a rhythm and stuffed each of Kampmann’s takedown attempts.

“I was behind in there. I’ll be honest. Thiago was getting me with some good shots, and I wanted to take him down,” said Kampmann. “I was walking into too many punches, and that was not a part of the game plan. It’s a good thing I have a good chin and can eat some shots.”

With time running low in the final frame, Alves made a critical error in judgment that cost him the fight. After staggering the Dane with a combination in the bout’s waning seconds, Alves dived for a double-leg takedown. Kampmann quickly responded by locking up a tight arm-in guillotine choke and rolling on top of the American Top Team fighter. Trapped under Kampmann’s mount, Alves had no choice but to tap out at 4:12 of round three.

“It was in my mind that I had to step it up, because I was behind,” said Kampmann. “When I got the opportunity to put in the submission, I grabbed onto that choke and squeezed for dear life. I was disappointed in my performance, but I was happy to get the submission.”

Galleries

Thiago Alves Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Michael Bisping 'crushed inside' after UFC 217 title loss, says he won't retire

Michael Bisping was disappointed but not overly deflated following the loss of his middleweight title to Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Excited about Rose Namajunas' UFC title win? You've got nothing on Justin Gaethje

If you think you were excited about Rose Namajunas’ title win at Saturday’s UFC 217 event, you’ve got nothing on Justin Gaethje.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 Athlete Outfitting pay: 3 title fights help move 2017 payout past $5 million

Fighters from Saturday’s UFC 217 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC 217, including one the UFC got wrong

Check out all the fighter walkout songs from Saturday’s UFC 217 event.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

The MMA Road Show with John Morgan No. 136.5 – UFC 217 wrap-up with Bisping, Namajunas

Episode No. 136.5 of “The MMA Road Show with John Morgan” podcast is now available for streaming and download.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stephen Thompson ready to talk trash? 'People would just tell me to shut up'

Former UFC challenge Stephen Thompson is willing to fight his way to another title shot – because he knows he can’t talk his way into one.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Isn't Stupid Enough to Miss Out on Conor McGregor vs. St-Pierre...Right?

Heaving for breath and covered in his own blood, things were not looking up for Georges St-Pierre (26-2) in the UFC 217 main event. The former welterweight champion, best known as GSP, had done every read news >>

UFC 217's Curtis Blaydes gives his side of story on confusing finish vs. Aleksei Oleinik

Curtis Blaydes says he was trying to get a bonus when he tried to kick off Aleksei Oleinik’s head but missed.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

In his vow to fight on after UFC 217, Michael Bisping sings a familiar tune

Michael Bisping said he can’t retire after losing his title at UFC 217, since he doesn’t want that to be his last memory inside the octagon. But fighters who go looking for that elusive final win oft read news >>

UFC 217 post-event facts: Record set as 3 new champs crowned in historic night

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from UFC 217, a historic night of MMA that took place in New York.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>