#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Bellator 194 #UFC Fight Night 57 #Matt Mitrione #Roy Nelson

Kamaru Usman wants to coach 'TUF' vs. Colby Covington, then fight him to earn UFC title shot

ST. LOUIS – Kamaru Usman has a pretty good idea of what he wants his immediate future to look like.

The problem is, he probably has to convince at the very least his boss, UFC President Dana White, that what he wants is a good idea. And after Sunday, that may be easier said than done.

Usman (12-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) on Sunday dominated Emil Meek (9-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) for a unanimous decision on the main card of UFC Fight Night 124 at Scottrade Center in St. Louis. After the win, which seemed to be panned by many of the audience members in the arena, Usman said he only performed at 30 percent of his ability.

And after White heard that, he was openly critical of Usman, the Season 21 winner of “The Ultimate Fighter” who has gone on to a perfect 7-0 start in his UFC tenure.

Usman didn’t love it, either.

“I wasn’t happy with it,” he told MMAjunkie after the event. “It’s not what I would’ve wanted. As I said (in the cage), I came in at about 30 percent. But I wanted to give him the opportunity to get the fight (with me). He said a lot of things, and I know he was trying to get that fight, which he did. But I duck nobody. I’m here to fight any and everybody because I believe I’m the best. Even at 30 percent, you saw what I was capable of. I can take somebody down and break his will and dominate him from start to finish.”

Next up, Usman said he would like the chance to do that to Colby Covington (13-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC). The two have gone back and forth on social media, each saying the other has been ducking a fight.

Covington has been pushing for a welterweight title shot against champion Tyron Woodley, but White appears to be set on giving that shot to former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos once Woodley has recovered from a recent surgery.

So if Covington isn’t getting a title shot, then Usman has an idea.

“What I really want is, Colby Covington has been running his mouth,” Usman said. “He has no one to fight right now. He’s not getting the Tyron Woodley fight. Let’s put up or shut up. Let me and him coach ‘TUF.’ Who wouldn’t be interested in seeing that? Me and him coach ‘TUF,’ then at the end of it, me and him settle the score once and for all to see who’s that No. 1 contender.

“It looks like ‘RDA’ is going to fight the champ when the champ is back. So you know what? Put up or shut up. Let’s coach ‘TUF,’ and at the end, let me beat you up and we can settle it. I’m going to finish him – third round.”

For more from Usman on his fight with Meek and what he wants next, check out the video above.

And for complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 124, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Kamaru Usman Fights

• a month ago

Comments

Dustin Poirier: Eddie Alvarez won't finagle his way to UFC title shot before I earn mine

In a race to the UFC lightweight title, Dustin Poirier believes he’ll ultimately come out ahead of Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Plans to Make Conor McGregor Earn Title Shot after UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov says that he will be fighting for the undisputed title at UFC 223 but if Conor McGregor wants a shot, he's going to have to get in line. read news >>

There may never be a better time for 'Jacare' Souza to stroll to a UFC title shot

Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza may very well be the best middleweight to never fight for any form of UFC title. Fortunately for him, the division is wide open now, and just in time for him to make one final read news >>

UFC 220 winner Dustin Ortiz fine if T.J. Dillashaw gets flyweight title shot

After UFC 220 brought him a second straight win, flyweight Dustin Ortiz is looking for an opponent that will propel him forward. read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum feels snubbed by Yoel Romero getting UFC interim title shot

Kelvin Gastelum was disappointed when Yoel Romero was given an interim title shot vs. Luke Rockhold at UFC 221. read news >>

Dana White Recaps UFC 220, Wants to See Daniel Cormier Fight Stipe Miocic | MMAWeekly.com

UFC President Dana White recaps the UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou pay-per-view from Boston's TD Garden moments following the event. read news >>

Barber shops and restaurants: UFC champ Daniel Cormier has a post-career plan

UFC light heavyweight champ Cormier has set a hard date for walking away from the sport, but what happens after that? read news >>

UFC on FOX 27's Vinc Pinchel wants to worry about opponent, and Joaquim Silva doesn't do it

UFC on FOX 27’s Vinc Pinchel wants to face an opponent who makes him worry about a loss, and his next opponent isn’t that guy. read news >>

Miocic and Cormier to coach TUF, Fight in July

The highly anticipated 27th season of The Ultimate Fighter® will see UFC® heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic coach opposite light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Dana White Says CM Punk Wants to Fight; WWE's Jack Gallagher Issues Challenge

CM Punk is eying a return to the Octagon, UFC President Dana White confirmed Friday. Speaking with the Associated Press' Dan Gelston, White said Punk wants to fight again in UFC and that the company read news >>