#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Conor McGregor #UFC 223 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Jimi Manuwa #Jan Blachowicz #Rose Namajunas

Kairat Akhmetov Expects to Bounce Back Quickly From First Ever Defeat | MMAWeekly.com

Kairat Akhmetov just tasted defeat for the first time in his professional career after putting together a 23-fight winning streak. But the circumstances were exceptional, the Kazakh flyweight returned from a near-two-year layoff to fight the best opponent in the entire division.

He lost a decision to Adriano Moraes last month and with it his belt, but Akhmetov feels it was a below par performance that he is unlikely to repeat.

“During my last fight, I didn’t utilize my whole skillset. I got too tired in round one. I hope this time I can show my best qualities in striking and grappling; everything I’ve learned over the past few years.”

Some fighters would be devastated about losing an undefeated record that took years of hard work to put together. Akhmetov is more philosophical and is able to take some positives out of the experience.

“I don’t think of it as a loss overall, as Moraes and I are 1-1 now, so it’s a draw. I managed to fight all five rounds, even though I felt tired after the first round. I feel fine despite of that loss. I accepted this fight (with Geje Eustaquio) at a short notice because I am ready. I feel calmer than ever.”

The fight he is referring to will headline ONE: Total Victory on Saturday night in Indonesia. It is a remarkably quick turnaround for Akhmetov, who fought Moraes only last month, and he is determined to get straight back to his winning ways and set up a trilogy bout with the Brazilian in the process.

Kairat Akhmetov“I am as excited as can be. As it happens after a loss, I want to jump back into the cage, fight, and put it all behind me. I accepted this fight at a short notice because I feel good now. I think this belt is mine and I should take it back, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, but this fight will decide a lot of things.”

Eustaquio has been fighting regularly for ONE Championship for over five years now so Akhmetov has seen plenty of footage on the Filipino. He thinks he knows exactly what to expect from the Team Lakay standout.

“He loves striking, has good wrestling defense, good knowledge of grappling. He has a strong character, goes until the very end , fights all the rounds. It won’t be easy to defeat him. He is a hard nut to crack. I am getting ready to fight all rounds. I feel well physically and strong mentally. I will try to show a good fight.”

However, Akhmetov has identified one weakness he feels he could exploit.

“He has holes in his wrestling game. I will try and wrestle.”

Akhmetov has been training at Tiger Muay Thai for this fight. He spends much of the year in Phuket and has been working hard on his striking skills, but sees the bout with Eustaquio as being high risk.

“To be honest, I think of him as a dangerous opponent because the stakes are high for me. He has little to lose, but if he wins, he gains a lot.”

If Akhmetov defeats Eustaquio then it seems likely that ONE Championship will award him an immediate title shot. But for the Filipino, this is a golden opportunity to jump the queue and the Kazakh is correct to point out that he has much more to lose than an opponent, who has won three out of his last four fights.

Akhmetov doesn’t seem as traumatized by no longer being undefeated as some fighters would. He has come to terms with it quickly but that doesn’t mean he lacks either the resolve or determination required to recapture that former glory,

“It was painful but I can accept it but I will never give up, I will never stop and will come to the top again.”

(Follow @JamesGoyder on Twitter)

Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis on Tap for UFC 225 in Chicago | MMAWeekly.com

Joseph Benavidez will make his long awaited return to action at UFC 225 in Chicago when he meets fellow flyweight contender Sergio Pettis on June 9. UFC officials confirmed the new matchup via the Ch read news >>

Mackenzie Dern Throws Some Wild Strikes to Defeat Ashley Yoder (UFC 222 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Mackenzie Dern's victorious Octagon debut at UFC 222 on Saturday in Las Vegas. Dern squeaked out a decision over Ashley Yoder. read news >>

Gianni Subba Excited to Realize Dream of Headlining in His Hometown | MMAWeekly.com

Gianni Subba has spent his entire career with ONE Championship. He’s fought in Kuala Lumpur numerous times, but has yet to headline a card in his hometown. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Confident in His MMA Skills, Believes UFC Deal Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather sounds awfully confident that he will be fighting in the UFC sooner rather than later. The 41-year old retired boxer has been teasing a crossover into mixed martial arts for several read news >>

Kristina Williams Expects Bellator 195 to Set Tone for Her Career | MMAWeekly.com

Kristina Williams will look to keep her undefeated record going when she takes on Emily Ducote in a main card 125-pound bout at Bellator 195. read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson Defeat Former Champ Rafael Dos Anjos (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Relive Tony Ferguson's victory over former UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos. read news >>

Jimmy Smith: Cris Cyborg Is 'The Best Female Fighter of All Time' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC analyst Jimmy Smith says the debate is over in his mind — Cris Cyborg is the best female mixed martial artist in history read news >>

Cody Stamann on UFC 222 Match Against Bryan Caraway: 'I'm The Better Fighter' | MMAWeekly.com

Cody Stamann looks to kick of his second year with the promotion in the same way he did his first when he takes on Bryan Caraway at UFC 222. read news >>

UFC 222: Stefan Struve Struve vs. Andrei Arlovski - The Jimmy Smith Preview | MMAWeekly.com

UFC commentator Jimmy Smith previews the heavyweight matchup between No. 10 Stefan Struve and No. 12 Andrei Arlovski ahead of Saturday's UFC 222. read news >>

Tito Ortiz Chimes in on Cris Cyborg's Stellar Weight Cut (UFC 222 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz chimes in on what appears to be one of the best weight cuts of Cris Cyborg's career. read news >>

CB Dollaway Eats Illegal Shot, Wins the Fight (UFC 222 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from CB Dollaways win over Hector Lombard at UFC 222 on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Alex Hernandez Scores Shocking Knockout Upset of Beneil Dariush (UFC 222 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Alex Hernandez's Octagon debut, where he knocked out Beneil Dariush at UFC 222 on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

John Dodson Ekes Out a Decision Over Pedro Munhoz (UFC 222 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from John Dodson's split-decision victory over Pedro Munhoz at UFC 222 on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Mackenzie Dern Ekes Out a Victory in Her Octagon Debut (UFC 222 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

In one of the most highly anticipated Octagon debuts in recent memory, Mackenzie Dern squeaked out a victory over Ashley Yoder at UFC 222 on Saturday night in Las Vegas. read news >>

Hector Lombard Frustrated After DQ Loss to CB Dollaway at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

Hector Lombard expresses his frustrations backstage at T-Mobile Arena after losing by disqualification to CB Dollaway after landing punches after the bell. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Issues Unwavering Statement Following Knockout Loss | MMAWeekly.com

Following Fabricio Werdum's disappointing knockout loss to Alexander Volkov at UFC Fight Night 127 on Saturday in London, the former UFC heavyweight champion was unwavering in issuing a statement. read news >>

Search for: