#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP

Cody East - King of the CageWith his recent first-round TKO win over Strikeforce veteran Lolohea Mahe at KOTC: Regulators, New Mexican heavyweight Cody “Freight Train” East proved himself to be a prospect worth watching.

“I wanted to keep it standing, and if the opportunity was there, take him down and work him on the ground a little bit and tire him out, and as we got back up, turn the heat up and push the pace,” said East. “I worked hard on my boxing for this fight and I think it showed.

“Mahe is a big strong guy, but he doesn’t use a lot of movement. He just kind of walks forward, so I knew I was going to be able to hit him. (To his credit) I couldn’t hit him just one time; I had to use combinations to put him away.”

Following his debut in 2008, East spent nearly two years away from the sport dealing with injury before coming back strong in late 2011, eventually building to his current 6-1 record.

As East told MMAWeekly.com, the biggest change from when he started to now is ring generalship.

“When I first started fighting, I was just a wrestler. Then I broke my leg and I was out for a year, year-and-a-half, but at the beginning of last year I really started committing 100-percent to the sport and I’ve grown a lot,” said East.

“The biggest difference is how to control myself and not burn myself out. Just go in there and not go crazy. I’ve learned to pace myself and it’s a big difference.”

With three wins in a row, East’s plan for 2013 is to get a rematch with the only fighter that’s beaten him and take not one, but two championships as he continues to work his way up the ranks.

“My next fight should be against (KOTC heavyweight champion) Tony Lopez,” said East. “He’s fighting Nick Rossborough for the title (on Feb. 7) and I’m going to fight the winner. I want to get that belt and then move to super-heavyweight and get that belt too.

“Since I fought Lopez last time (in April of 2012), I’ve put on a lot of strength and my boxing and power is so much better that I can’t wait to show it. Hopefully Lopez wins his fight so I can fight him again.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Donald Cerrone congratulates Darren Till with classy Instagram post after TKO loss

Donald Cerrone has no excuses for his first-round TKO loss to Darren Till at UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Gdansk winner Aspen Ladd sees 'a lot to get better at' after TKO in octagon debut

After adding a fifth finish to her unblemished record, Aspen Ladd is eager to build on her successful UFC debut.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nelson, Lashley, Kongo, Mir, Fedor, Minakov? What's up with Bellator's heavyweight title?

Despite some established veterans and recent additions, Bellator still doesn’t have a heavyweight champion. Could that soon change?Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Michael Page No Longer Chasing Paul Daley; There’s Only One Way He’ll Fight

Undefeated Michael “Venom” Page is no longer chasing veteran welterweight bomber Paul “Semtex” Daley. He'll fight, but there's only one way. read news >>

Michael Bisping Shoots Down Lawsuit Against Him as 'Total Bullocks' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping claims that a recent lawsuit filed against him is simply an opportunistic endeavor and called it "total bollocks." read news >>

Dana White Engages in His Most Hilarious Podcast Interview Ever (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White joined UFC veteran Mike Swick for one of his most hilarious interviews ever. read news >>

Watch the TKO That Earned Allen Crowder a UFC Contract (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Allen Crowder was the shorter man and was outweighed by over 20lbs, but that didn't stop him from putting on a fantastic performance and earning a UFC contract. read news >>

The story of Gerald Harris' final slam

The story of what led up to UFC veteran Gerald Harris’ final slam, and why remorse only goes so far in the fight game.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight read news >>

Marcelo Golm Pulls Off First-Round Finish in Octagon Debut (UFC Sao Paulo Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Marcelo Golm's Octagon debut, where he scored a first-round finish of Christian Colombo at UFC Fight Night 119. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 results: Thiago 'Marreta' Santos becomes first to TKO Jack Hermansson

Thiago “Marreta” Santos had time on his side late in the first when he pounded out Jack Marshman with one second left. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>