The women’s bantamweight title bout between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey has garnered nearly all of the media attention in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s Strikeforce card.

Once fight night is over, however, K.J. Noons wouldn’t be surprised if the water-cooler talk centers around his co-main event tussle with former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I don’t really have to say too much. My fight is always ‘Fight of the Night,’ and K.J. Noons is definitely stealing the show. Look at my track record,” Noons said during a recent media conference call. “I’m really excited to be fighting somebody like Josh Thomson; it’s gonna be a barnburner. I’m training as hard as I’ve ever trained, so I’m ready.”

The former EliteXC lightweight king was victorious in his last outing, beating Billy Evangelista via unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Melendez vs. Masvidal” in December. Prior to that, the Hawaii native had lost two straight, falling to Jorge Masvidal in June and Nick Diaz in October 2010.

A win over Masvidal likely would have earned Noons a title shot against Strikeforce 155-pound titlist Gilbert Melendez, but instead it was “Gamebred” who received that opportunity. A barren Strikeforce roster allows for a quick turnaround, however, and now the winner of Noons-Thomson is being touted as the next challenger for the lightweight strap. Noons isn’t making any future reservations these days.

“I kind of put my foot in my mouth when I said I wanted a title shot and lost [to Masvidal],” he said. “I’m kind of superstitious, so I just want to concentrate on the fight ahead of me.”

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was noncommittal regarding the No. 1 contender status of the winner of Saturday’s fight, which takes place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

“Both of these guys are definitely at the top of the division. We’ll make a decision based on performances,” Coker said.

Regardless of what the future holds, the man known as “King” is looking forward to putting on a show. According to Noons, it’s a foregone conclusion that his fight will entertain the masses.

“It’s something that’s in your blood,” he said. “I’ve had almost 45 pro fights in boxing, kickboxing and MMA, and every single fight I’ve had has always been ‘Fight of the Night.’ I have a true passion for fighting and it’s going to be exciting.”

Josh Thomson vs. Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire set as Bellator 172 co-main event

Josh Thomson’s next fight won’t be a championship showdown with Bellator lightweight titleholder Michael Chandler. Instead, it will come against Patricky Freire at Bellator 172 next month.Filed under read news >>

Josh Thomson Faces Patricky 'Pitbull' in Bellator 172 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

A lightweight feature bout pitting Josh Thomson (22-8, 1 NC) against Patricky "Pitbull" (16-8) will serve as the co-main event of Bellator 172. read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): Former UFC champ Miesha Tate in studio

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Miesha Tate in studio.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A comeback at featherweight? Ex-UFC bantamweight champ Miesha Tate says no

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate has no desire to stage a comeback in the new featherweight division. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2378 with former UFC champ Miesha Tate

Stream or download Monday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Miesha Tate.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate on Women’s 145-Pound Division: ‘Build It and They Will Come’ | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champ Miesha Tate believes the creation of the women's featherweight division will be a magnet for 145-pound talent. read news >>

Bellator 172's Patricky Freire has a lot of respect for Josh Thomson, but still wants to rip his head off

Ahead of Bellator 172’s co-headliner this Friday, Patricky “Pitbull” Freire sees Josh Thomson as the biggest fight in his career and is not counting on his opponent’s ring rust.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

'Big man on campus' Josh Thomson: I'll fight Bellator champ Michael Chandler on my terms

"I'll fight him when I want to fight him. I know he's the champion, but whenever I decide I want to fight him, I'll fight him," Josh Thomson says of eventually fighting lightweight champ Michael Chan read news >>

Patricky Freire: I'm the first dangerous opponent for Josh Thomson in Bellator

The opportunity for a big rebound victory at Bellator 172 is there for Patricky Freire, who believes he presents a challenge that Josh Thomson has never encountered in Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Josh Thomson Only Wants to Fight in San Jose (Bellator 172 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Josh Thompson knows that he's in the twilight of his career and only wants to fight in San Jose from here on out in meaningful fights. read news >>