#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #KSW 40 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #MMA Rocks #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Norman Parke #Mariusz Pudzianowski

Justin Gaethje - Ring of Fire 41Up-and-coming lightweight Justin Gaethje was anticipating the toughest challenge of his young career when he stepped up to face former UFC fighter Drew Fickett recently at Rage in the Cage 163.

What Gaethje got was his fastest victory yet, knocking Fickett out just 12 seconds into the bout.

“I was ready for the best Drew Fickett,” said Gaethje. “I thought he was going to try to take me down to the ground right away, but I had a really good warm-up with my coaches and I felt like I was going to knock him out.

“I did like a three-punch combo – an uppercut, a left hook and then a right hook – and then I got in like two punches on the ground. He was out for like five minutes, and it was kind of scary. I was really scared for him, so I’m glad to find out that he’s okay.”

For Gaethje, the knockout victory is another step forward in his evolving game.

“That was my first standing knockout on my feet and it feels great,” he said. “Every punch I throw, I throw it as hard as I can, and it’s something I kind of need to work on. My coach sees me spar every day and it’s just too hard for me, I can’t help it, I like to throw bombs in there.

“My game is evolving and getting better every day. I think I work with some of the best guys in the business. With what the coaches are shaping me in to be, it’s going to be good.”

The win over Fickett raises Gaethje’s pro record to 6-0 (13-0 overall), and as he told MMAWeekly.com, after a bit of a slow start, he’s looking to close out 2012 with a bang.

“I took the first part of the year to get ready and now I’m pushing hard and am trying to fight two more times before the end of the year,” he said.

“No matter what’s upcoming, I’m ready for it.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Galleries

Justin Gaethje Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 medical suspensions: No tapping gets Yushin Okami 45 days

UFC veteran Yushin Okami didn’t appear to have much choice in the matter, but his lack of tap against Ovince Saint Preux brings a 45-day suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC veteran Kyle Noke has 'that fire again,' announces return from retirement

UFC veteran Kyle Noke is the latest to end a short-lived retirement from MMA competition. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tommy Hayden to Defend Lightweight Sword at Full Metal Dojo 15 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC veteran Tommy Hayden is set to defend his Full Metal Dojo lightweight sword on Nov. 4 in Bangkok. read news >>

Former UFC Fighter Shayna Baszler Inks a Deal to Join WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight competitor and "Ultimate Fighter" veteran Shayna Baszler has officially joined the WWE roster. WWE officials announced the news on Tuesday. Just recently, Baszler comp read news >>

Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje Expected at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 in Detroit just landed a potential 'Fight of the Year' candidate. Following a season coaching opposite of each other on "The Ultimate Fighter", former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez i read news >>

Ian McCall fires manager, then gets release from UFC after $100,000 demand

Veteran flyweight Ian McCall today asked for his release from UFC contract after the promotion denied his demand for a $100,000 payout in his next fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Coach Mark Henry says Eddie Alvarez fighting Justin Gaethje at UFC 218 in Detroit

The UFC’s long-awaited return to Detroit is shaping up to be a big card, and now it appears a pair of former champs will grace the lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After wild UFC 216 result, Bobby Green says judges aren't looking at right things

UFC lightweight veteran Bobby Green would rather hand off judging duties to his peers, biased as they might be, than those professionally tasked to score fights.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bryan Caraway vs. Luke Sanders added to UFC Fight Night 123 in December

A bantamweight matchup between an 8-time UFC veteran and a relative newcomer looking to rebound from his first professional loss has been added to UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Veteran UFC lightweight Michael Johnson wants top guys if he moves to featherweight

Michael Johnson, now 31, doesn’t have time to waste if he moves down to featherweight.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>