#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

Justin Gaethje - Ring of Fire 41Having been steadily building his career since debuting as an amateur in 2006, Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje has finally arrived in a large promotion with the chance of getting national exposure after signing with the World Series of Fighting.

“I’ve been working towards those goals and had some big fights last year which set me up to get a phone call from the WSoF,” said Gaethje. “All that work is finally paying off and I’m going to a big show.

“It’s something that I’ve been waiting for and I’m pumped. I saw their first show and it was great and they have great supporters and backers, so I think it sets up for something good.”

A standout wrestler at Northern Colorado University, Gaethje told MMAWeekly.com that his continued work at Grudge Training Center has elevated him from a one-dimensional fighter to an all-around dangerous threat.

“I had to rely a lot on my wrestling when I first started out, and working at Grudge with some of the best coaches around has helped my stand-up come a long way,” said Gaethje. “I’m just working to where I’m well-rounded so (my opponents) have to worry about everything and keep them guessing.”

Gaethje’s development in his striking could play a big part in his WSoF debut on March 23 when he takes on Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante in Atlantic City, N.J., to be broadcast on the NBC Sports Network.

“JZ is a great fighter and can be a real brawler, so I’m expecting it to be a real exciting fight,” Gaethje said. “I just think I’m going to have success on my feet with my kicks and punches, and I think I’m going to be able to knock him out on the feet.

“If he wants to go to the ground, I invite him to try to take me down, which I don’t think he’ll be able to do. I think he’s going to be stuck on his feet and he’s going to get hit and he’s not going to know what to do.”

A win over a solid veteran such as Cavalcante on a nationally broadcasted event could very well be the springboard to bring Gaethje major exposure and set him up for a big run in the promotion in the coming years.

“When I signed my contract they said they wanted to build me up, but then they throw me to the wolves,” said Gaethje with a laugh. “I’m looking to win this fight convincingly and hopefully they’ll put me up for a title or somewhere close.

“I’m ready and excited to show everybody what I’ve been working my whole life for.”

Galleries

Justin Gaethje Fights

• 3 months ago
  • 2080 views

Comments

Charles Rosa Looks To Break Familiar Pattern In Japan

Charles Rosa’s UFC career has seen the star continually win at home in Boston, while losing his matches when he fights on the road. Still, each of those road losses resulted in performance bonuses, w read news >>

Michael Bisping Explains the Only Way He'll Stick Around After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping's career is coming to an end soon. The UFC middleweight champion has long addressed the possibility that he would be retiring from the sport sooner rather than later with only a coupl read news >>

Matt Brown Will Retire Following Diego Sanchez Fight | MMAWeekly.com

"The Immortal" is ready to call it a career. read news >>

What debut? Aaron Pico just hit the reset button on an again-promising career

Want to make people forget about your embarrassing debut? Send your next opponent crashing to the canvas.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Max Holloway's Blessed UFC Career

"It’s cool having this belt and being a champion, but I want to make sure my son is set. I want him to go to college. I don’t want him to fight. Fighting is insane." read news >>

On Matt Brown vs. Diego Sanchez, and 2 opposite approaches to the close of a career

Matt Brown performed an honest career calculation that led him to his decision to retire after his next fight. His opponent, Diego Sanchez, seems to have chosen the opposite path. For many aging figh read news >>

What hits like a heavyweight, but moves like a welterweight? A driven Derrick Lewis, apparently

After an entire career hearing that he’ll be in trouble should his fights go to the ground, UFC 216’s Derrick Lewis is not worried about Fabricio Werdum’s grappling: “I believe it’s just going to rea read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

Threats of broken legs, retirement? Justin Gaethje latest to beef with Tony Ferguson

Justin Gaethje is the latest to land on Tony Ferguson’s radar ahead of the latter’s interim UFC lightweight title fight at UFC 216.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>