#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo

Junior dos Santos defended his UFC heavyweight championship for the first time on Saturday night, knocking out former titlist Frank Mir in the main event of UFC 146.

Prior to his triumph at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, however, “Cigano” successfully foretold how the fight would end at Friday’s weigh-ins. His title belt now resting securely around his waist, Dos Santos says that the prophetic prediction was not made out of simple gamesmanship. According to the champ, he truly believed that he would hit the jackpot in round two.

“[The second-round knockout] was my strategy for the fight,” dos Santos at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “I thought he came to take me down, and in the first round, I was trying to keep my distance and make him tired. In the second round, it was my plan to walk a little more forward than in the first, and it worked. I think when you believe so much in yourself, that things happen. That’s why I’m so positive.”

Mir attempted to close the distance early in round one, latching onto a single-leg before trying to pull the champion down into a foot lock. The American’s efforts proved fruitless, as the champion escaped and then began to work his jab, staggering Mir with a right hook to close out the frame.

Things only got worse for Mir in the second stanza. Dos Santos started to loosen up even further, rifling shots to Mir’s body and head while avoiding most of Mir’s blows and keeping out of takedown range. The finish came 3:04 into round two, when the Brazilian snapped back Mir’s head with a hard right straight and landed a hammering fist on the ground for good measure. Though he was dominant from start to finish, dos Santos was complimentary of his opponent’s resilience after the bout.

“This was a good fight for me,” said dos Santos. “[Mir] can really take a punch. I’m feeling some pain on my hand now. It was a good fight, but every fight that I have, I have more experience. I came into this fight more confident to use my speed and my boxing skills to win.”

Upon earning the knockout, dos Santos was cheered enthusiastically by a large contingent of Brazilian supporters, some of which dos Santos says came to the event just to see him fight.

“It was fantastic for me to see all of the Brazilian flags. All the Brazilian people in the crowd made me so proud and so energized,” said dos Santos. “Every time I looked up, I could hear them and see the flags. It was such a great, positive vibe, and I’m so glad to be here representing everybody from Brazil. I thank them for their support.”

Now with a successful title defense to his credit, dos Santos is expected to next put his belt on the line against the man he knocked out to capture the gold, Cain Velasquez. While dos Santos declined to offer a prediction on how that return fight might play out, he says he would approach the bout as the most important of his career.

“I don’t care who is my next opponent. If I have to fight with Velasquez again, I’m ready. Let’s do it,” said dos Santos. “Velasquez is really tough. In my mind, he is different in this division, because he is very fast and his stamina is really good. For sure, he is dangerous and a good fighter.”

Galleries

Junior Dos Santos Fights

• 4 months ago

Comments

UFC 215 results: Henry Cejudo flawless in second-round striking stoppage of Wilson Reis

While Henry Cejudo is best known as an Olympic wrestling gold medalist, his striking looking absolutely world-class in a scintillating win over Wilson Reis.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Wins but Stays in Middleweight Shadows

Last June, Luke Rockhold defended the UFC middleweight championship against Michael Bisping. Bisping, a seasoned veteran who had never even earned a title shot, took the fight against Rockhold on lat read news >>

Luke Rockhold Urges Georges St-Pierre to Pull Out of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Following his second-round finish of David Branch on Saturday, former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold urged Georges St-Pierre to pull out of UFC 217. read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh winner Mike Perry on Robbie Lawler callout: 'If you don't ask, you won't receive'

You’d met Mike Perry, the big talker with the finishing ways. Now, after his second straight post-fight bonus, meet Mike Perry, the wise investor. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Thiago Alves stands behind UFC-Pittsburgh withdrawal, says Mike Perry still has 'ass whooping' coming

Thiago Alves has no regrets about pulling out of his UFC Fight Night 116 bout with Mike Perry on short notice.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kamura Usman Takes Aim at Rafael Dos Anjos After UFC Pittsburgh Victory | MMAWeekly.com

Kamaru Usman, after scoring a quick knockout at UFC Fight Night 116, took aim at former lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 post-event facts: Mike Perry's power gaining a reputation

Take a look at the key facts and figures stemming from Saturday’s entertaining UFC Fight Night 116 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Luke Rockhold and UFC Fight Night 116's other winning fighters?

Take a look at what’s next for the winning fighters of Saturday’s thoroughly entertaining UFC Fight Night 116 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jesse Taylor Flatly Denies Taking Steroids, Vows to Fight UFC Anti-Doping Charge | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor was recently popped for a UFC anti-doping violation, but he vowed to fight the charges. read news >>

Alex Nicholson picks up heavyweight win, aims for UFC return

Four-time UFC veteran Alex Nicholson is looking for a return to the sport’s top promotion, but he’s hoping to do so in a new division.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>