Dos Santos says he’ll be ready for Velasquez.
Junior Dos Santos officially solidified himself as the top heavyweight contender, again, with his one-sided decision win over Shane Carwin at UFC 131.
With the win over Carwin, Dos Santos secured a match up with champion Cain Velasquez later this year, and thinks it will be his biggest challenge to date.
“I think my biggest challenge is coming because Cain Velasquez is (the) best and the champion and he deserves that. He’s proved that he is very good, so I will be ready for him,” said Dos Santos about the titleholder.
During the UFC 131 post-fight press conference at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on Saturday, Dos Santos discussed how he and Velasquez match up stylistically.
“I think the best of Cain is his cardio. He’s very good in wrestling too, so I have to train a lot of this. I’ve been learning very fast, wrestling. I will try to make it stand up to his takedowns,” he said. “All the time I’m looking for the knockout and it’s not going to be different.”
The Dos Santos and Velasquez bout was tentatively scheduled for UFC 136 in Houston, but the match up will likely take place in November according to UFC president Dana White.
“This fight is going to happen, probably in five months,” White told MMAWeekly.com following the UFC 131 event.
Cain Velasquez, who is expecting his second child with his wife, has enjoyed extensive time with his family but is itching to fight again.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, UFC, Videos read news >>
Donald Cerrone knows nothing about UFC Fight Night 118 opponent Darren Till, which is one reason the matchup is so dangerous.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Having already sold the company, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have reportedly cashed in on their remaining investment in UFC. Forbes' Noah Kirsch reported the pair sold their rest of their shares in UF read news >>
Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who bought the UFC for $2 million in 2001 before selling it for $4 billion in 2016, have “fully divested” in the MMA promotion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Amanda Nunes isn’t sure she’ll be able to return to her South Florida home after UFC 215 in Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>