Adriano Martins was on a good run in Brazil, with only one loss in his last 11 fights, a span which also saw him capture the Jungle Fight lightweight title. After his latest defense in March -- a 62-second stoppage of American Jimmy Donahue -- the chance to fight abroad again seemed palpable. On Thursday, Martins’ managers, Alex Davis and Samir Nadaf, confirmed to Sherdog.com that Martins has signed to compete in the Strikeforce lightweight division.

While still unannounced, Martins is rumored to jump stateside Sept. 29, when he’ll meet Greg Jackson product Isaac Vallie-Flagg in Sacramento, Calif. In an exclusive interview with Sherdog.com, the 30-year-old from Manaus, Amazonas, analyzed his new home’s 155-pound division, discussed preparations for his debut, and explained why he opted for Strikeforce over the UFC.

Sherdog.com: How is it to be back fighting abroad, and in an event like Strikeforce?
Adriano Martins: I had fought in Dream, and now I’m in Strikeforce -- for me, that’s already a landmark. I will represent Manaus in an event like this. It’s a long process; it’s been 10 years already. This is a new stage of my life and I embrace the opportunity.

Sherdog.com: Are you still under contract with Jungle Fight?
Martins: No, that ended in March. I won the belt, defended against Jimmy Donahue, and I would have defended against Neilson Gomes, but now I’m contracted with Strikeforce. I’m very grateful to Jungle Fight.

Sherdog.com: Will the training camp for your debut be at Top Life in Amazonas?
Martins: Yes, it will be done around here. Professor Valdecir Silva of the Brazilian national team will be the wrestling coach. Boxing will be with Erminio and Cassio. Jiu-jitsu will be at the gym with my students. The MMA part will be with [Junior] Cardoso, a guy who has trained me for a while. We’ll also bring in Moacir [Mendes] from Porto Alegre to train kickboxing.

Sherdog.com: Have you thought of training wrestling abroad, or bringing someone to Brazil?
Martins: No, not yet. I’ve trained enough wrestling tin the gym and I feel good here. We don’t want to change a lot now, since things have been working well, but maybe in the future we’ll think about having a camp abroad.

Sherdog.com: How do you see the lightweight division in Strikeforce? Can you evaluate it?
Martins: I’ve seen a little. I know that Gilbert Melendez is the champion. I’m going to work to be No. 1, work to win there. I was in talks with the UFC, but the lightweight division there is jam-packed. Even Melendez himself isn’t there yet. They gave me the option to fight in Strikeforce. I’ll do my duty, seek victory against Isaac and work to get to the top. I’m happy where I am now.

Sherdog.com: But it’s undeniable that the eyes of the UFC will be focused on you even more, since Strikeforce is also owned by Zuffa.
Martins: Yes, of course! That’s why we have to work hard there, because I want the best, and everyone knows that the UFC is the best. It’s a dream, and I will fight for it.

New division unleashed: Check out the 'UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie' extended preview

The UFC returns to New York for the third time in 14 weeks when it brings UFC 208 to Brooklyn next month. Check out the extended video preview for the event inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former UFC title challenger Bethe Correia: 'I feel I'm better than any girl in the bantamweight division'

Onetime title challenger Bethe Correia wants to knock out Marion Reneau in Fortaleza and then face whomever will get her closer to a new shot at the belt: “Maybe Cat Zingano, that would be a great fi read news >>

Cerrone vs. Masvidal Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

Donald Cerrone’s Cinderella march through the welterweight division encountered its first bit of adversity Saturday at UFC on Fox 23. Jorge Masvidal dashed Cerrone’s four-fight winning streak at 170 read news >>

Is the UFC's women's bantamweight division set for a return to nicer, bleaker days?

The next UFC women’s bantamweight title fight appears to be set, but as champion Amanda Nunes faced off with Valentina Shevchenko after UFC on FOX 23, one didn’t get the sense that we were looking at read news >>

Is Francis Ngannou the Next UFC Heavyweight Champion? (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou has stormed into the UFC heavyweight division. Is he the next great UFC heavyweight champion? read news >>

Former champ Holly Holm on UFC 208 145-pound title headliner: Each division has to start somewhere

As former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Holly Holm points out, she didn’t really have a division before Ronda Rousey fought at UFC 157. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Admits UFC Created Women's 145 Division for Cris Cyborg | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White has admitted that he created the women's featherweight division for Cris Cyborg. Now that she's on the sidelines, what comes next? read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC Fight Night 104: 'Zombie' indeed, new title fight, flipping off crowd

The featherweight division got a whole lot more interesting on Saturday thanks to [autotag]Chan Sung Jung[/autotag]. "The Korean Zombie," back in the UFC after an absence of 1,281 days, knocked out [ read news >>

Miesha Tate on Women’s 145-Pound Division: ‘Build It and They Will Come’ | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champ Miesha Tate believes the creation of the women's featherweight division will be a magnet for 145-pound talent. read news >>

UFC 208: Holm vs. de Randamie - fantasy cheat sheet

At UFC 208, a new division will be launched as the women's featherweight title is introduced with a main event pitting former bantamweight champion Holly Holm against Muay Thai striker Germaine De Ra read news >>