#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #Saturday Night Fights #David Branch #Nate Diaz #GGG #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

CageSport LogoThough he might not be from the biggest area or biggest team, Julian Erosa has made the most of what he’s got and at 8-0 is becoming one of the top prospects in the Northwest.

“I come from a smaller town, Yakama, Wash., but have a bunch of people that are good training partners, whether they’re amateur or pros,” said Erosa. “People like Meisha Tate, Brian Caraway and a bunch of amateur kids that are just tough kids.

“Those kids give as much back to me as I do to them. I’m not much of a wrestler and don’t have a lot of wrestling experience, so a lot of these kids are really good wrestlers and get my wrestling tuned up pretty good, while I help them more with standing and jiu-jitsu. We give back to each other.”

Aside from the close-knit training atmosphere of his training camp, Erosa’s success has come in large part to his ability to effectively manage himself in bouts.

“I’m really good at being able to step in the cage calm, cool and collected, and really just figure out step-by-step in the cage what to do to win the fight,” he said. “I don’t let my emotions take a hold of me. If I get hit, I’m not going to blow up and just freak out on somebody and gas myself out.”

Next up for Erosa is a return to CageSport on Saturday night at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, Wash., against a fighter he feels mirrors him in many ways, Jason Gybels.

“It’s good to get matched up with somebody that’s my size, so I don’t get comfortable and used to being the taller, lankier guy and I have to find my way around it,” said Erosa of Gybels. “It will really be nice to work my stand-up against someone who’s as tall and lanky as me.”

Due to Gybels’ size, Erosa told MMAWeekly.com that while the ground isn’t totally ruled out, it would probably be best to avoid grappling with his opponent in order to get the win.

“He’s probably going to be one of the more dangerous submission guys I’ve faced because arm chokes or triangle chokes are really dangerous for a long, lanky guy,” said Erosa. “What I’m probably going to do is keep the fight standing because that’s where I’m most comfortable and I feel like I have an edge in the fight.

“He’s not a crazy wrestler or anything, so if he really wants to go to the ground, he’s going to have to grind me down and drag me to the ground. But for this fight I’m going to try to keep standing as much as possible.”

Having had the chance to build the majority of his career locally, Erosa knows eventually he’ll have to branch out and plans to be ready for whatever opportunity comes his way.

“I love CageSport, but at the same time, if I get to the spot where I have 10 or 11 wins with a pretty good record, I’m really hoping to fight in the UFC and make my name a little bit bigger,” he said. “I’m willing to fight wherever and whenever against whoever. Whether it’s on The Ultimate Fighter or someone gets injured and they need somebody, I’m willing to do it.

“Once they’ve seen how I fight, win or lose, they’re going to be impressed by my skillset and ask me back for more fights, and that will mean an opportunity for me to move up the ranks and fight on bigger shows.”

Comments

Showtime exec Stephen Espinoza stops short of predicting May-Mac breaking pay-per-view record

Stephen Espinoza, who calls himself “conservative by nature,” also wasn’t sold on Mayweather-Pacquiao doing astronomical numbers.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Vegas Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will attempt to defend his perfect record as he battles Conor McGregor in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday. Money remains the favourite to defeat the UFC superstar, but Notorious h read news >>

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: Fight Card Highlights and Online Odds

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will put his perfect 49-0 record on the line Saturday when he steps into the ring with Conor McGregor for the Irishman's first career professional boxing fight. McGregor is the r read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Says Conor McGregor Fight Gate Broke the All-Time Record

Floyd Mayweather says Saturday's fight against Conor McGregor broke the all-time record, after the 40-year-old beat the Irishman in a 10th round TKO in Las Vegas. Speaking after the fight, Mayweather read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Says Conor McGregor Fight Gate Broke the All-Time Record

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

DWCS 8 results: Matt Frevola, Lauren Mueller punch their tickets to UFC with impressive wins

Undefeated lightweight Matt Frevola kept his record perfect with a second-round submission win over a previously unbeaten Luke Flores and securing a UFC contract in the process.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Get to know TUF Cast: Shana Dobson

Turning pro in April of 2016, Dobson put together a 2-1 record and was a quick study in the sport who found out just as quickly that she had what it took to make a mark at 125 pounds. read news >>

Showtime: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 'trending' to break 4.6 million PPV buys record

Showtime executive Steven Espinoza projects “The Money Fight” in the “mid to high” four million range for the U.S. and Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Showtime Confirms Mayweather vs. McGregor Card Nearing Record Breaking Numbers | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather taking on Conor McGregor was expected to be the most talked about fight of 2017 but when it's all said and done, the event may go down as the biggest of all time. Showtime executive read news >>