#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Quinton Jackson #Anderson Silva #Pancrase #Demetrious Johnson

Julia Budd Invicta FCJust five fights into her professional MMA career, former kickboxing champion Julia “The Jewel” Budd has begun to put things together and now she feels like the next step of her career is right around the corner.

“I feel like I’m starting to get more comfortable in there and am starting to believe more in my skills as a wrestler, as a Muay Thai striker and am becoming an overall well-rounded mixed martial artist,” said Budd. “I’m way more comfortable and continue to understand the game more.”

Having alternated wins and losses so far, Budd was looking to win her first back-to-back fights coming off her victory over Elina Nelson at Invicta FC 2 this past July when she was slated to return to the company Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., against Elaina Maxwell.

Unfortunately Maxwell was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced with Danielle West just days before the event.

“I just stay the course,” said Budd of her fight prep. “I found a week out, but I was prepared for everything, so we said yes right away.

“Danielle is kind of a grinder and likes to go to the ground, whereas Elaina was a southpaw San Shou fighter, so it’s a difference, but I trained for a long time and worked on my wrestling a lot, so I’m ready to go.”

While West is less experienced than Maxwell, Budd is not going to fall into the trap of taking her lightly.

“I never underestimate anyone because I’ve been underestimated a lot in my career,” Budd told MMAWeekly.com. “So I know how not to underestimate people.

“I’ve watched her and studied (West) a lot. She also fought Elaina Nelson, and I’ve watched that fight a lot and others and I think I can definitely showcase my athleticism, striking and wrestling (against her) and take the fight where I want it, but I’m not underestimating her.”

With Strikeforce’s attention focused on the 135-pound division, it appears that Budd’s future at 145 pounds goes hand in hand with Invicta.

According to Budd, staying at 145 pounds is fine with her and she hopes to be able to contend for a title as Invicta grows and establishes championships in various weight classes.

“They’re planning on doing a title in each division – that’s what they’re saying – and they’re planning on keeping the 145-pound division active and I’m just looking for another great performance Saturday night,” she said.

“I’m happy at 145 and that’s where I’ll stay at. I’m not going to cut to 135. I’m staying the rest of my career at 145.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Comments

Conor McGregor Could Address US Congress over MMA Fighters' Rights

After making his boxing debut, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may appear before the United States Congress in an effort to expand the protection of rights afforded to mixed martial arts figh read news >>

Rankings: Rockhold, Hall, Usman & Perry Rise

In this week's official UFC rankings release, Luke Rockhold and Uriah Hall are making moves in the middleweight division. Plus, Kamaru Usman and Mike Perry are on the rise at welterweight. read news >>

Bellator signs undefeated grappling ace Leonardo Leite

Bellator’s light heavyweight division has added an undefeated Brazilian standout.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Duffy-Vick heads to MSG in November

Two of the top prospects in the lightweight division will get a chance to make their case for a top 15 ranking on Nov. 4, when Joe Duffy faces James Vick in a UFC 217 bout at Madison Square Garden in read news >>

A Fight with Conor? Bellator 3-Division Champ? Rory MacDonald Wants It All

Rory MacDonald seems to have found some extra swagger since arriving in Bellator MMA. Perhaps there's good reason for that. Long regarded as one of the top welterweights in the world, the 28-year-old read news >>

Conor McGregor on Mayweather, state of UFC lightweight division, 'rat' Paulie Malignaggi

Conor Mcgregor opened up on a variety of topics during a fan Q&A event in Glasgow, Scotland.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping to GSP: 'I'm Gonna Really Enjoy Making You Quit' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping has talked often about making the biggest payday of his career when he faces Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 but the money he makes won't count for much if he doesn't walk out with the m read news >>

Demtrious Johnson Roasts Kevin Lee on Making Weight: 'I Had Oreos!' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of Karyn Bryant) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson and interim lightweight title contender Kevin Lee were in Los Angeles on Monday for a media luncheon to promote their respective f read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-in Hype

At UFC 216, the lightweight division will finally have an active title picture for the first time in the Conor McGregor era. Either Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee will become the interim title holder in read news >>

Featherweight champ Julia Budd headlines Bellator 189 in rematch with Arlene Blencowe

Julia Budd will put her featherweight title on the line in December when she headlines Bellator 189 in a rematch.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>