#UFC Fight Night 117 #Conor McGregor #Gokhan Saki #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Saint Preux #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz

Josh Koscheck will fight for the first time as a former American Kickboxing Academy member when he collides with Johny Hendricks in the UFC on Fox 3 “Diaz vs. Miller” co-main event on Saturday at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

While Koscheck has distanced himself from the famed San Jose, Calif., gym, he has not cut ties completely. He continues to work with American Kickboxing Academy trainers Bob Cook, Dave Camarillo and Jasper Tayaba.

“I joined AKA when I first started fighting,” Koscheck said during a pre-fight teleconference. “I’ve got a lot of new faces, but I still have old faces involved in my training.”

In advance of his high-stakes showdown with Hendricks, a four-time NCAA All-American and two-time national wrestling champion at Oklahoma State University, Kosheck hired Alan Fried, another decorated OSU wrestler. Fried compiled a stellar 129-6 record as a Cowboy.

“I’ve made a lot of changes,” Koscheck said. “I have a couple of the guys from San Jose coming in and out, but this whole camp I’ve had a lot of new training partners that I hand-picked and flew in and out. I’d have guys come in for five to 10 days and then get a new group of guys coming in, so it’s been a good training camp, probably one of the better training camps I’ve had in a while. The focus has been 100 percent me.

“I have new striking coaches, [with] personal time and personal attention with those types of coaches,” he added. “I think that I’ve got a lot of good people around me and a lot of people that actually care, so that was the biggest change.”

Time will soon tell whether or not the decision to leave familiar surroundings was wise. Consider Hendricks a litmus test. The once-beaten World Extreme Cagefighting import has become one of the welterweight division’s hottest commodities, having rattled off three consecutive victories. Hendricks last appeared at UFC 141 in December, when he needed just 12 seconds to waylay perennial Top 10 contender Jon Fitch, Koscheck’s former AKA stablemate. Since the 28-year-old joined the UFC in 2009, he has scored three finishes in 95 seconds or less.

Koscheck remains ever confident.

“I don’t care where the fight takes place,” he said. “I just know I’m going to win. If it’s on the ground, whatever; if it’s standing up, whatever.”

At 34, Koscheck seems to realize his window of opportunity near the top of the 170-pound division could be closing, especially with young lions like Rory MacDonald and Jake Ellenberger on the rise. An impressive win over Hendricks could thrust him into title contention once again, with Carlos Condit in possession of the interim belt as longtime champion Georges St. Pierre recovers from reconstructive knee surgery.

“It’s a big fight. There’s a lot riding on this fight, I think, for both of us,” Koscheck said. “The winner goes on to a nice path towards a title shot, and the loser goes ... who knows? There’s a lot at stake in this fight, and I feel like I’m ready to roll.”

Comments

DWCS winner Julian Marquez to make debut vs. Vitor Miranda at UFC on FOX 26

How will Julian Marquez follow up his ferocious win on Dana White’s Contender Series?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Unfiltered Episode 129: Luke Rockhold

Returning to the Octagon for the first time in over a year, #3 UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold calls in ahead of his UFC Fight Night Pittsburgh bout against David Branch. Watch the event on FS1 this S read news >>

Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

December’s UFC on FOX 26 lineup has a few flyweight addition: former title challenger Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Is the Heel Nobody Asked for

Luke Rockhold won a fight this past weekend. It was the first time he'd done that since late 2015, when he won the UFC middleweight title, and his first appearance since mid-2016, when he lost that s read news >>

Luke Rockhold believes he outclasses David Branch at every turn at UFC Fight Night 116

Returning for the first time since losing his title in June 2016, Luke Rockhold believes he has every advantage over David Branch. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

Watch David Branch Get the Better of Krzysztof Jotko (UFC Pittsburgh Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out former World Series of Fighting dual-division champ David Branch's return to the Octagon, as he bested Krzysztof Jotko at UFC 211. read news >>

David Branch ready for step up in competition vs. Luke Rockhold at UFC Fight Night 116

For former WSOF two-division champ David Branch, fighting ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold is just another day at the office.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>