#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig #Nunes vs. Rousey #UFC 207 - Nunes vs. Rousey

Coming off his loss to Demetrious Johnson in the first UFC flyweight title bout, Joseph Benavidez will be looking to make a statement Saturday against Ian McCall at UFC 156.

“He might not be super consistent from fight to fight, but he always puts on a show and he’s dangerous,” Benavidez said of McCall during an interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “He is powerful strength-wise, but I don’t look at him necessarily as a dangerous, finishing type. He’s just really powerful, strong, explosive. He’s a great athlete with a great style, and I think it’s going to be an awesome fight. I’m looking to go in there and make my statement. This is like a small battle for me. Him and Demetrious had a super close fight, so I’m looking to beat him way worse.”

Johnson fought McCall to a majority draw and then beat him via unanimous decision in the rematch. “Mighty Mouse” then went on to claim a split decision over Benavidez in September to become the 125-pound champion.

“It was definitely hard,” Benavidez said of his defeat. “Just mentally, that was just my goal for so long and I had no doubts that I was going to take it. Just the realization afterwards that that opportunity passed me by and it didn’t happen was really hard to take for a long time.”

Eventually, though, Benavidez was able to put the loss in perspective and also learn from it.

“There’s things you’re going to learn technically and kind of where he beat me with strategy and just his takedowns and everything,” he said. “He’s a great fighter. I fought the best guy in the world at my weight class. I don’t think I had a great performance, and he fought a perfect fight. I need to not be so hard on myself and realize it was a close fight and I’m just lucky that I get to do this. It’s always times like this where I find myself maybe complaining or being down on myself about this, but then I realize how lucky I am that this is my life and I’m one of two people ever that got to fight for this inaugural flyweight title.”

Now Benavidez has the chance to bounce back against another high-caliber flyweight, and he likes the matchup.

“I like McCall,” Benavidez said. “I’m a fan of his style. He’s crazy and I respect that. He puts it all on the line and puts it all out there. … He’s a guy that’s actually going to fight me. He has confidence in his skills, in his power and he doesn’t run. He goes in there and looks for a fight and doesn’t mind getting punched in the face. He doesn’t mind it, so I’m just going to go ahead and just give him the punishment that he likes.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:19).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Joseph Benavidez Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sports Illustrated ranks top 50 fittest athletes, and Conor McGregor somehow beats Demetrious Johnson

Sports Illustrated ranked the fittest athletes in sports. MMA had six total athletes on the separate lists for women and men.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Charles Rosa hopes to get rebooked soon after UFC Fight Night 117 scratch

Featherweight Charles Rosa said the promotion compensated him in spite of his canceled fight against Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Reacts to Being Co-Main Event Behind Ferguson vs. Lee at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

A month ago, Demetrious Johnson was headlining UFC 215 in Canada with the chance to break the all time title defense record in UFC history with his fight against Ray Borg. Unfortunately, Borg fell il read news >>

Ray Borg scrapped nutritionist but cutting weight same way for UFC 216 vs. Demetrious Johnson

Ray Borg fell ill at UFC 215, resulting in his title fight with Demetrious Johnson being scrapped, but says it had nothing to do with cutting weight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns next Saturday in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee Explains Why He Hopes Tony Ferguson Can Survive to the Championship Rounds at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee isn't lacking confidence ahead of his first title fight at UFC 216 read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg: UFC 216 Countdown Video | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson aims to break Anderson Silva’s title-defense record, but 24-year-old Ray Borg is focused on playing spoiler. read news >>

Demtrious Johnson Roasts Kevin Lee on Making Weight: 'I Had Oreos!' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of Karyn Bryant) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson and interim lightweight title contender Kevin Lee were in Los Angeles on Monday for a media luncheon to promote their respective f read news >>