#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Duelo De Giagantes #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance VFA Round 4 #VFA: Round 4 #VFA Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - VFA: Round 4

Jose Aldo trumped onetime lightweight king Frankie Edgar on Saturday night in the UFC 156 main event, taking a five-round unanimous decision from “The Answer” to cap the evening’s pay-per-view broadcast from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Aldo took charge early in the contest, rifling off a piston-like jab and cracking the challenger with whipping low kicks through the bout’s first 10 minutes. However, despite taking a clear-cut beating in the first two rounds, the resilient Edgar held true to form and gained some ground in the third frame by stepping inside of the champion’s kicking range and exchanging on the inside. The championship rounds also proved quite competitive, though Edgar arguably got the better of Aldo in the final 10 minutes.

In spite of Edgar’s considerable efforts, Aldo remained UFC featherweight champion when the smoke cleared, earning scores of 49-46 (twice) and 48-47. Though the bout turned into a back-and-forth affair during its final 15 minutes, the champion said he never doubted the fight’s outcome.

“My cornermen were talking to me all the time, and they were explaining the situation round-by-round. I was pretty confident about the results,” Aldo told Fox Sports after his victory. “I believe I won every round. In the fourth round, he was dominant for about a minute when he threw me down and caught my back, but after that, I came back to a dominant position and controlled the center of the ring. I was very comfortable, so I thought I won every round.”

Though Aldo admitted that Edgar put forth a strong effort, “Scarface” was not ready to name “The Answer” his toughest opponent to date.

“As a former champion, of course he was a very tough opponent, but I’ve also had very tough fights in the past. I can’t rate him as my toughest opponent, because a lot of my fights in the past were also very tough,” said Aldo. “I felt that he was a little bit slower [than me], and I didn’t feel like he had very much punching power. I believe he felt it a little bit from dropping down in weight.”

Though Aldo has gone undefeated in 12 featherweight appearances with UFC parent company Zuffa, it is no secret that making 145 pounds has always been a stretch for the hard-hitting Brazilian. As a result, Aldo said that he will inevitably move up to lightweight. However, the champion also believes that decision is not his to make, just as he will not choose his next featherweight title challenger.

“I think that one day, I will go up to 155 [pounds], but that is not up to me. That’s my coaches’ decision, so [I will go] whenever they decide it’s right to go to lightweight,” said Aldo. “Joe Silva is a great matchmaker, and he will find the right opponent for me. Whoever comes my way, I will have great respect for [him], and we will have a great fight. I like to fight against the best fighters. I train hard, and I train a lot, because I’m a professional fighter. Whoever comes my way, I will be ready to fight.”

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jose Aldo Wants to Finish Fights in UFC Contract to Start Boxing, Coach Says

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may soon follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor and take his talents to the boxing ring. "He’s training boxing because he has this dream of competing in read news >>

UFC's Michael Johnson explains move to featherweight, wanting to fight Jose Aldo first

Michael Johnson already has named his first featherweight target in ex-champ Jose Aldo, but he’ll take others as long as they’re big enough to justify the 10-pound drop.Filed under: Featured, News, U read news >>

Jeremy Stephens would love to fight Jose Aldo – just not in November (and understandably so)

UFC 215’s Jeremy Stephens would love to fight ex-champ Jose Aldo – just not in November. He’s already pushed back his wedding.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway Met with UFC, Confident He Will Fight Again in 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Following his TKO win over Jose Aldo in June, featherweight champion Max Holloway planned on meeting with the UFC to engage in negotiations for a new contract that would treat him as one of the compa read news >>

Jose Aldo and head coach Andre Pederneiras weigh ex-UFC champ's future options

Former featherweight champion Jose Aldo wants to fulfill a lifelong dream of fighting at Madison Square Garden. That could happen at UFC 217 – but he needs a dance partner first.Filed under: Featured read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

Report: Rematch between ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo and Ricardo Lamas targeted for December

• a day ago

According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After first UFC knockout, Gilbert Burns wants lightweights to know he's dangerous everywhere

• a day ago

Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Spitz says his 24-second knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh was just how he drew it up

• a day ago

Luck had nothing to do with it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 medical suspensions: Newcomer Zu Anyanwu out indefinitely

• a day ago

One of the 20 fighters on this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 event is facing an indefinite suspension following his promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>