Scott Jorgensen plans to rough Jeff Curran up at UFC 137. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jeff Curran is a black belt in jiu-jitsu, but Scott Jorgensen says he’s willing to engage him on the ground when they meet Oct. 29 at UFC 137.

“I feel comfortable on the ground,” Jorgensen told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’m a wrestler. I have a good base. I’m strong. I’ve got an edge. I’ve got a little bit of an edge … . I try and hurt people down there. You can know all the jiu-jitsu in the world, but if I hit you once, you’ll forget it.”

Jorgensen displayed his ground-and-pound prowess in his June UFC debut, knocking out Ken Stone from inside the guard. Curran is a far more experienced opponent, however, and he can also fight on the feet.

“I know he’s probably not afraid to stand up and box a little bit,” Jorgensen said. “He’s got what, 40-something fights? I’m expecting a well-rounded opponent, but I definitely know on the ground is probably where he wants this fight. I really don’t care. In my professional career I’ve never lost to a submission.”

A September 2006 loss via armbar shows up on Jorgensen’s record, but he explained that it was an amateur bout and he hasn’t been caught since.

“I haven’t come close since then,” he said. “I’m not going to come close against Curran. I’m going to dominate him. … I think I may have read the same article where he said I’m predictable. Great. Count on me being predictable.”

Jorgensen’s own prediction is that he’s going to outwork Curran. It’s a strategy he’s formed since losing a bantamweight title bout to Dominick Cruz in December 2010.

“I can’t count on that lottery ticket. That’s what I did a lot with Dominick, was wait for that right hand to land,” Jorgensen said. “I’m not doing that anymore. I can outwork guys all day long. I don’t care how much they know. If they know more than me, if they’re more knowledgeable, if they’re stronger, faster, whatever -- if I outwork you, you won’t be. I guarantee it because I can function when I’m tired. I’m not built to squeak by on decisions. I’m built to build leads. I was raised that way wrestling. I never wrestled a wrestling match to win by a point. I wrestled to beat you by 15.”

Against Curran, Jorgensen plans on pushing the pace standing and on the ground. He credits his long history as a wrestler for giving him the stamina and drive to execute such a demanding game plan.

“You’ve got to be willing to do the same if you want to beat me, and I don’t think there’s a lot of people willing to put themselves through the hell that I’ve done the past 20 years,” Jorgensen said. “I’ve done it for 20 years. I’m very good at what I do. I love it. I love being tired.”

Jorgensen would also love another crack at the bantamweight title. For now, though, he’s focused on Curran.

“I’ve got to outwork him,” Jorgensen said. “I’ve got to keep winning. I’ve got to keep ahead of the competition, and as long as I do that, I’ll be back fighting for that title.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:14:44).

Amanda Nunes' plan for 2 UFC belts? 'We need to start pumping the brakes,' White says

DENVER – Amanda Nunes’ ambitious plan for a second UFC title may need to wait a little while longer. At least until she’s earned a few more defenses of her bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Dana White Wants Amanda Nunes to Pump the Breaks on Featherweight Title Talk (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White wants UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes to "pump the breaks" on her plan to challenge the inaugural women's UFC featherweight champion. read news >>

Mackenzie Dern returns at LFA 6 on March 10 as main card takes shape

Jiu-jitsu ace and strawweight MMA prospect Mackenzie Dern is slated for her 2017 debut on March 10 at LFA 6.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

After win over 'Zombie,' UFC Fight Night 104's Dennis Bermudez wants interim champ Holloway

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez has a plan in place after Saturday night, and it’s a good one. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko or 145 next? UFC champ Amanda Nunes lays out her game plan

HOUSTON – UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes appears to have backed away from a plan to immediately challenge for the soon-to-be-realized featherweight belt. Filed under: Featured, Featur read news >>

Niko Price's plan? Didn't include looking 'like a squirrel holding nuts in my cheeks' at UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – Niko Price picked up his second stoppage win in as many trips to the octagon at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event, but he was anything but satisfied with his performance.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov says the UFC needs to plan for Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Khabib Nurmagomedov thinks the UFC should “humble” Conor McGregor for wanting to box Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko unsurprisingly chill about scrapped Bellator 172 headliner, says it was 'God's plan'

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Fedor Emelianenko was his usual stoic self addressing the last-minute cancellation of his Bellator debut after scheduled opponent Matt Mitrione fell ill.Filed under: Bellator, Feat read news >>

Stephen Thompson has creative arsenal ready for UFC 209 rematch vs. champ Tyron Woodley

• a day ago

Stephen Thompson’s plan is to bring back his unpredictable offensive arsenal at UFC 209, and if that happens, he believes the rematch with Tyron Woodley will look very different.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

Ex-champ Liam McGeary trained 4 times daily prior to loss, but changed plan for Bellator 173

• a day ago

Former Bellator light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary spent a lot of time thinking after ceding his title to Phil Davis. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>