Jorge Santiago Mamed Khalidov
If 2011 was a nightmare for former UFC fighter Jorge Santiago, 2012 is starting to look like a dream come true.

The veteran Brazilian competitor didn’t have the impact he was looking for in the UFC when he returned there last year, but after putting a slew of personal problems behind him and just focusing on being the best he could be in the ring or cage, the results started to show.

In his last two fights, Santiago has gone 2-0 with stoppages in both bouts while competing in Titan Fighting Championships.

His latest bout just last Friday, it took Santiago only 94 seconds to put away Justin Guthrie with a nasty inverted heel hook. The funny thing is, that’s not even something Santiago practices on even a semi-regular basis.

“That move was something that I do not often, I have to say that. Last time I used it was when I fought in Japan against Siyar (Bahadurzada). It’s something I use when the time comes, and I never realized I could finish the fight in that position,” Santiago revealed when speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday.

Following a tough run in only two fights back in the UFC, Santiago is starting to breathe again and find new life with his team at the Blackzilians in Florida. As an original member of the camp, it took Santiago a little while to acclimate to the new team and new trainers, but he’s now found himself and the results are starting to show.

“This is not the new, but the old Jorge Santiago from Japan. The old one, nothing else distracts me anymore, the only thing I have to do now is go out there and fight the way I like to fight, that’s it. Everything is getting more light for me, even the weight,” said Santiago.

The weight comment holds an extra special meaning because following his last fight in Titan Fighting over the weekend, Santiago decided that he would be dropping down to 170lbs and testing the welterweight division.

Over the years, Santiago has done very well for himself at 185lbs, but as the sport continues to grow and evolve and competition keeps getting bigger and stronger, he need to even the playing field a bit.

“I was a guy who never liked to lose too much weight, but I always was around my weight to be on weight. I changed my diet and I changed a few things and the time comes, and it’s so easy to make 185, and I was thinking I was never a strong 185. At 185 I could do a lot of things, striking and jiu-jitsu, but I never took a finish being the strongest guy in the ring. Some guys at 185 walk around at 215. (Rousimar) Palhares that guy is huge, (Chael) Sonnen, and a lot of guys,” Santiago stated.

“I think the best time is now. 31-years old, why not make this choice.”

The Brazilian born fighter says he walks around at approximately 190 to 195lbs in his downtime, so it only made sense for him to make the move to welterweight.

Following a great night at Titan Fighting where two of his friends from the Blackzilian team, Tom Niinimaki and Freddy Assuncao also got wins, Santiago is ready for the next challenge ahead.

Conquering the best fighters at 170lbs.

“I didn’t get hurt, the fight was literally like a minute and a half. I’m just looking for a good opportunity. I didn’t have any extra stress at this last fight, I wasn’t even close to being over trained. I feel very fresh. I’m going to keep doing the same thing and keep my weight down, and make some changes in my diet,” said Santiago.

“It’s going to feel so good. At least one time knowing that I’m stronger than the other guy inside (the cage).”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 208 video highlights: Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson

For the first time since 2012 – officially, anyway – the legendary Anderson Silva won a fight. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

New UFC Announcer Todd Grisham on His Debut and Working with Vince McMahon

For the first time since 2012, a new voice will call the action at a North American UFC event when Todd Grisham takes over the play-by-play duties for the UFC on Fox Sports 1, Sunday in Halifax, Nova read news >>

UFC 208 results: Anderson Silva gets first win since 2012 with decision over Derek Brunson

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – In brief flashes, it was the old Anderson Silva in the cage against Derek Brunson, posing and playing, pulling off surprising techniques – and, for the first time since 2012, winning read news >>

UFC 208 results: Germaine de Randamie tops Holly Holm to win UFC women's featherweight title

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Germaine de Randamie is the inaugural UFC women’s featherweight champion after outpointing ex-bantamweight champion Holly Holm.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Photo: Germaine de Randamie vs. Holly Holm scorecard at UFC 208 – how did you score it?

In a fight that will be talked about for a long time, not just for how it was scored by the judges, but for how it was officiated, UFC 208’s main event crowned a new champion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Germaine de Randamie's title-winning victory over Holly Holm at UFC 208

History was made in Saturday’s UFC 208 main event when Germaine de Randamie became first UFC women’s featherweight champion when she defeated fellow striking specialist Holly Holm.Filed under: Featur read news >>

Fighters on Twitter Blast Germaine de Randamie's Controversial UFC 208 Title Win | MMAWeekly.com

Germaine de Randamie made history at UFC 208 on Saturday night, but two late strikes left many of her fellow fighters doubting her victory. read news >>

Germain de Randamie Grabs Title Over Holly Holm Amidst Controversy (UFC 208 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Germaine de Randamie made history at UFC 208, beating Holly Holm in the evening's featured bout in Brooklyn, N.Y. on Saturday to become the first UFC women's featherweight champion. read news >>

UFC 208 bonuses: With the only finish on the card, naturally 'Jacare' Souza got an extra $50,000

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ronaldo Souza, Dustin Poirier and Jim Miller each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Saturday’s UFC 208 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holm vs. de Randamie Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 208

UFC 208 welcomed a new name to the club of UFC champions, as Germaine de Randamie became the first champion of the women's featherweight division in the main event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, read news >>