Michael Bisping and Jorge Rivera heat up at the UFC 127 weigh-in

Michael Bisping and Jorge Rivera heat up at the UFC 127 weigh-in

Michael Bisping didn’t do much to gain a larger fan base with his UFC 127 win over Jorge Rivera. The British fighter struck his opponent with an illegal knee to the head in the first round of their co-main event, but claims that it was in no way intentional.

Ultimately, the strike cost Bisping a point, but it didn’t matter. Rivera did not appear to be the same fighter after the knee to the head. He continued fighting anyway. Whether or not the strike was intentional makes no difference now, but that didn’t stop Rivera’s management company from releasing a statement regarding the situation.

“The knee was illegal and flush on the face,” read the statement from Alchemist Management. “But instead of taking a dive and possibly the win, Jorge fought on – unlike Jamie Varner and Rich Attonito. Bisping tagged Jorge while both of his knees were on the canvas. He wasn’t the same afterward, but fought on anyway. How many fighters would be able to fight on after that?”

Rivera’s management also claimed Bisping spat at his opponent’s corner. This came after what they consider to be a premature ending to the fight.

“The stoppage was quick, but we won’t fight it,” they stated. “He won. That’s all there is to it. But for all his talk of being a professional, Bisping spit on Rivera’s coaches when the fight was over. How can you claim to be a professional after that?”

At the post-fight press conference, Bisping was asked about the incident where he allegedly spat in the direction of Rivera’s cornermen. He was quick to dismiss it.

“Just one classless move after another, I suppose,” said Bisping. “The knee certainly wasn’t on purpose. You get excited in the heat of the fight. He was getting up off the ground, I had him in a Thai clinch, I was waiting to time it.

“I got a little overexcited and I pulled the trigger too early. It happens quite a lot. It’s a fast moving sport. I certainly didn’t mean to do it and I was very glad the fight was able to continue. No one wants to see a fight won or lost in that fashion.

“Regarding after the fight, there was a lot of emotions. He was very, very insulting to me, very insulting. He was mocking me on the Internet, saying all kinds of things, making stupid videos, talking about myself and my family. All kinds of stuff. I bit my tongue and I said nothing, but it’s kind of… built up inside me. I blew up a little bit and I apologize for that. I shouldn’t behave like that, but I think he just needs to accept he got beat and get over it.”

Clearly, the bad blood between these two fighters did not find a resolution in their match-up. Sometimes, fighting it out in the Octagon is just not enough. The Bisping-Rivera showdown is perfect evidence of that.

Michael Bisping Not Ducking Contenders, but Wants Georges St-Pierre Fight | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Michael Bisping claims he's not ducking the top middleweight contenders, but if he's offered a fight with Georges St-Pierre, he's going to jump at it. read news >>

UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping expects spring return – and wants a money fight

We may not see UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping back in action until the spring, but when he returns, he wants one thing – and it’s something that has been a pretty common refrain in the spo read news >>

Tito Ortiz Comments on Claims of Chael Sonnen Fight Being Fixed in TMZ Exclusive

Tito Ortiz has refuted speculation that his fight with Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170 was fixed, telling those who doubt him to stop by his gym so he can choke them out himself. The 42-year-old fought read news >>

Full media scrum: Valentina Shevchenko unconcerned with opponent's claims ahead of UFC on FOX 23

DENVER – Valentina Shevchenko has spent a lifetime training and competing in martial arts, and she’s owned world titles in the striking arts. So she’s not concerned with anything Julianna Pena might read news >>

Anderson Silva Would Like Michael Bisping Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Anderson Silva is slated to return opposite Derek Brunson at UFC 208, but he'd really like to get another fight with Michael Bisping. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jorge Masvidal doubles down on $200,000 bet to Dana White

DENVER – Following an upset stoppage of Donald Cerrone, Jorge Masvidal reiterated he wants to bet UFC President Dana White $200,000 on his welterweight prospects. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 104

UFC on Fox 23 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Valentina Shevchenko def. Julianna Pena via second-round submission Jorge Masvidal def. Donald Cerrone via second-round TKO Franci read news >>

Controversial stoppage? Jorge Masvidal says he KO'd Donald Cerrone twice at UFC on FOX 23

It’s not a UFC event without some referee controversy, and from all indications, Herb Dean had a pretty big blunder at the end of the final round of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 co-main event between Jor read news >>

Check Out Michael Bisping's Post-Surgery Elephant Leg (pic) | MMAWeekly.com

Following surgery, Michael Bisping showed off his shaven leg on Instagram. read news >>

Gegard Mousasi says champ Michael Bisping has 'a good chance of winning' against Yoel Romero

While UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is currently recovering from surgery, his fellow 185-pounders are busy sorting out the title picture for 2017. Up first, it seems, will be powerful Cub read news >>