#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #UFC Fight Night 118 #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig

Jorge Lopez Wand Fight TeamJorge Lopez on Tuesday heads into the most important fight of his career, squaring off with Ultimate Fighter winner Amir Sadollah at UFC on Fuel TV 3 in Virginia.

Coming off of a loss in his first trip to the Octagon, he needs a win, and he needs it bad. Sadollah is no easy task for a fighter trying to get a W on the board, but Lopez doesn’t shy away from a difficult task before him… and he thanks his parents for that.

“I don’t know if it’s the way that my mom and my dad raised me, they would always teach me not to be scared of anything,” Lopez said in a recent Wand Fight Team video.

His parents are a big reason why Lopez went on to join Wanderlei Silva’s fight team in Las Vegas in an attempt to live out his dreams. When there were difficult tasks before him as a child, when things didn’t seem to be going his way, his parents supported him, but they were no crutch.

“I remember my dad. They had me on a bike for the first time with the training wheels off,” he remembered. “He didn’t let me ride the bike with training wheels. He took them off right away and said, let’s go.”

In a day and age when it seems training wheels are put on our every aspect of life, Lopez praises his parents for not giving him the easy way out. They made him face his fears and conquer them, not run from them, even when the road was rocky.

“I remember playing football. It was like the second or third day of practice. We were on our way to practice and (my mom), I remember I kept telling her, ‘I don’t wanna go, I don’t wanna go. I don’t wanna be in football anymore. It hurts,’ he recounted.

“She looked at me in the eye and she told me, ‘You need to quit being a little girl. You’re gonna get your stuff and you’re gonna go out there an play.’ She gave me my pads. She gave me my helmet. She wiped the tears off my face. She slapped me on the back and said go train.”

Lopez sucked it up and continued playing football. In fact, he played football so well that he earned a college scholarship.

So yeah, when he goes to practice, trading blows with his legendary coach, it hurts. It hurts a lot. But it’s those times with his mom and dad, pushing him to fight through the pain and the fear, that carry him onward and upward.

It has been said that risk is what makes life worth living, and Lopez has been taught all his life to take risks in order to accomplish the dreams that he has in life.

And that’s something he’ll need to tap into to get on the scoreboard when he faces Sadollah.

“I think of those times and I think of the times that she told me to man-up and go finish what I started. I did it then, so why can’t I do it now?”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Tony Ferguson: 'The Belt is Not That Important; I Want the Hall of Fame' | MMAWeekly.com

Although Tony Ferguson acknowledges that the interim UFC lightweight championship is important, it's not of the ultimate importance to him. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson was Injured Going into UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

You'd never have known it, but Demetrious Johnson was injured heading into his UFC 216 flyweight title defense against Ray Borg. read news >>

7-year UFC vet Rafael 'Sapo' Natal announces retirement

After a 17-fight run with the UFC, Rafael Natal is acquiescing his mom with the hard, but “smart” decision to retire. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Derrick Lewis Says He Is 'Not Focused' Heading into UFC 216 Fight Against Werdum

Derrick Lewis is jovial and entertaining on social media, but when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, Texas, Lewis showed off his heart. And the effects of that storm are still weighing on the UFC heavywe read news >>

Coach Mark Henry says Eddie Alvarez fighting Justin Gaethje at UFC 218 in Detroit

The UFC’s long-awaited return to Detroit is shaping up to be a big card, and now it appears a pair of former champs will grace the lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Knee injury, surgery forces Teemu Packalen from UFC Fight night 118 vs. Marcin Held

The UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118 has taken a hit to one of its featured bouts. Filed under: News read news >>

Tony Ferguson Takes Brock Lesnar's Advice to the Octagon | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) On Episode 2 of UFC 216 Embedded, interim lightweight title contender Tony Ferguson does some top-secret training with Eddie Bravo before road-tripping to Las Vegas. Opponent Kevin read news >>

UFC 216 Betting Preview: Ferguson vs. Lee, Johnson vs. Borg Odds, Analysis

In a championship bout that was originally set to headline UFC 215 in Edmonton, Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson (26-2-1)—arguably the best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA—will return to the Octagon read news >>

Daniel Cormier Fires Back at Volkan Oezdemir Over Two Minute Warning | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is still awaiting word on his next title defense but all signs are pointing towards a showdown with surging contender Volkan Oezdemir. Oezdemir burst ont read news >>

Max Holloway Inks New Multi-Fight Deal with the UFC Ahead of First Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway wanted a new contract and now he's got it read news >>