#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Sydney #Ben Askren #TJ Dillashaw #Rose Namajunas #Cody Garbrandt

Welterweight up and comer Jordon Larson’s bout against Dakota Cochrane this past April for the LFA might have ended up a win on his record, but the bout did not finish as he wanted.

Early in the second round Larson took an illegal knee to the head and could not continue, which put an end to a fight he felt he was doing well in.

“In the second round there was a grappling exchange where I had yet to get off the canvas, and he threw a flying knee which put me down,” Larson told MMAWeekly.com. “The ref ended up stopping it. I wasn’t sure what was going on until the doctors were coming in and talking to me.

“Up to that point I felt good. I felt the takedowns were there, my range was there, and honestly, I would like to do that fight again. I thought it would be a good launching pad to get to the next level, but unfortunately it ended not in a way I would have liked.”

While he was able to pick up the win via disqualification, Larson is able to see what mistakes he made in the fight which could have led him to be in the position to where he got kneed.

“The second round I was chasing the takedown a little bit,” said Larson. “I would have liked to maybe let a couple of those go and put pressure on him against the cage, rather than hut for the takedown because I think that’s what put me in that position anyway.”

Cris Cyborg Blasts Holly Holm, Wants to ‘Beat Her Ass’ at UFC 219

Larson (8-3) will look to get a more productive win when he returns to the LFA on Friday to take on Kassius Holdorf (10-4) in a main card 170-pound bout in Omaha, Neb.

“Kassius a good, strong, opponent,” Larson said. “He has good, straight, technically sound strikes. He’s a little bit taller than me, but I believe I have the same reach as him. The takedowns will be there for me.

“It’s about molding it together, piecing together the things I’ve been working on. Get to that point where it’s all MMA and not just grappling or striking, mixing it. Getting comfortable, getting into my game, and executing my game plan and capitalizing on dominant position.”

Should Larson come out his fight on Friday healthy, he would want to get back to action as soon as possible. If not, he’s looking to take the steps needed to move to the next level in 2018.

“I would not be opposed to getting in another one before the end of the year,” said Larson. “I would like to get my wins to double digits and be at 10-3 to finish out the year.

“(Otherwise) I’ll get back to the gym, put in the work and be ready for the next call. I don’t want to go to the UFC or Bellator and burn out after a few fights. When I get there, I want to stay, so I have to be ready for when I get that call.”

Comments

Former Champ Fabricio Werdum Makes His Case for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum lays out his case to get another title shot and another crack at champion Stipe Miocic. read news >>

Edson Barboza vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov set for UFC 219 in Las Vegas

The year-end UFC 219 event has a new major addition: Edson Barboza vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Sao Paulo Draws a Sold Out Crowd | MMAWeekly.com

It was a raucous crowd in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Saturday night for UFC Fight Night 119: Brunson vs. Machida, particularly when Colby Covington was in view. Though the event has largely been overshado read news >>

Former Champ Lyoto Machida Reinvented Himself for UFC Return (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

After two years away from the Octagon, former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida has reinvented himself to make his return against Derek Brunson. read news >>

Lyoto Machida Set for Return Opposite Derek Brunson Following UFC Sao Paulo Weigh-in | MMAWeekly.com

Lyoto Machida is set for his first fight in more than two years, after he and Derek Brunson made weight on Friday for UFC Fight Night 119. read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC 217 in the Big Apple

We want your predictions for Saturday’s big 217 event and championship tripleheader in New York.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Struggles Through 2017, Revives Original Logo | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has been struggling to get its footing in 2017, so the company is going back to its roots, pulling a forgotten face out of retirement. read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw: Cody Garbrandt's injury, UFC title fight delay worked out perfectly

T.J. Dillashaw had to wait nearly a year to get his hands on UFC champ Cody Garbrandt, his former friend turned arch-rival. But he doesn’t mind.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Hendricks feels 'reborn' after training with Jackson-Wink for UFC 217

“All I can say is that I’m excited, I can’t wait to see improvements I have made and how much better have I gotten in just four weeks. That’s what I’m excited about. I’m getting reborn in a sense," H read news >>

New bouts official for UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai

The UFC’s debut event in mainland China has a few new official fight-card additions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>