#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Jon Jones has had quite a year.

In four Octagon appearances, the UFC light heavyweight champion has earned four finishes, three of which have come in title fights.

After dispatching Ryan Bader in February, Jones (Pictured, file photo) filled in for former teammate Rashad Evans to wrest the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 128. From there, “Bones” choked out former champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in September before doing the same to another onetime belt holder, Lyoto Machida, at UFC 140 on Saturday night.

After the dust settled around Jones’ stunning title defense at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, the young champion had one small request.

“I would like to have up to four months off. Even five months off,” a smiling Jones, 24, said at the UFC 140 press conference, looking hopefully toward UFC President Dana White. “Come on, Dana, give me a break, please. Fighting three times in 2012 would be nice, but a break sounds nice, too.”

If Jones receives the time off for which he is campaigning, few could deny that he deserves it. The champion looked puzzled for the first time against Machida, as the crafty karateka staggered his rangy opponent with a sharp counter left hand in the opening period.

“I’ve actually never fought a southpaw before,” Jones said. “While I was preparing [for the fight], I focused more on pad work, rather than finding proper sparring partners. No one on my team fights anywhere near how Lyoto fights.”

While Machida played the aggressor in the first frame, Jones took the reins in round two, planting the Brazilian on the mat and opening his forehead with a solid elbow from top position. After Machida was given the green light to continue by the cageside physician, Jones smelled blood and went for the kill, blasting his foe with a left hook which proved to be the beginning of the end.

As Machida dug in for a takedown, Jones sprawled expertly, catching Machida’s neck in a guillotine choke. Rather than pulling guard, however, Jones pressed forward, pinning his shorter foe against the cage and torquing Machida’s neck. With nowhere to go, Machida soon passed out, collapsing to the floor as referee John McCarthy pulled the champion off of his lifeless opponent.

Saturday marked the first time Jones had truly been hit in his UFC career, something which apparently did not surprise the champion, who stated after the bout that he and his team expected a stiff test from Machida.

“Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and I were talking, and we all thought I’d never be same after this fight. I felt as if I would grow from this fight,” Jones said. “This was a different fight for me with the battles I had to go through mentally to train my butt off for a third world title fight this year against a tricky southpaw. I went through a lot this year. I took a big hit, fought a southpaw and it’s been a great year.”

Though Jones has put forth arguably the greatest single year of in-cage performances in the sport’s history, the Rochester, N.Y., native takes the most satisfaction in simply accomplishing the goals he has laid out for himself.

“The thing I think about the most is that it’s not about winning fights. It’s not about who I beat. It’s just about improving the quality of my life. It’s about setting goals and doing it,” said Jones. “I just feel as if I’m meant to do this with all my heart and soul. There is nothing else on this planet right now that I was meant to do. I think I can be one of best on the planet, and I think it’s my destiny to one day be one of best who’s ever lived.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Commentator Joe Rogan Says Jon Jones Is the 'No. 1 F--kup of All Time'

Last week hosted one of the biggest combat sports extravaganzas of all time, but it wasn't all fun and games. There was a dark cloud hanging over those festivities in the form of the announcement tha read news >>

CSAC executive director: UFC champ Jon Jones situation 'doesn't make any sense'

Why would Jon Jones fail a pre-fight drug test that he knew about while passing two surprise tests weeks earlier? Could a tainted supplement really be to blame, or did he take one thing thinking it w read news >>

Jon Jones' B sample from UFC 214 also positive for steroid turinabol

Jon Jones is now likely to go to arbitration with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in an attempt to clear his name. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' B Sample Reportedly Tests Positive for PEDs from UFC 214

UFC fighter Jon Jones' B sample reportedly tested positive for a banned substance. Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com reported the news Tuesday, noting the B sample was for Jones' failed drug test from July 2 read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Passed UFC 214 Drug Test 24 Hours After Positive Test

New details reportedly emerged Friday regarding Jon Jones' drug test following his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, citing multiple sources, reported Jones passed a read news >>

Twitter reacts to UFC champ Jon Jones' B-sample drug-test failure – and the takes are extra hot

Check out the top Twitter reactions to UFC champ Jon Jones’ positive B-sample drug test.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Win Against Daniel Cormier Overturned to No Contest Due to Failed Drug Test | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones' victory against Daniel Cormier at UFC 214 in July has officially been overturned to a no contest after the embattled light heavyweight champion tested positive for the steroid Turinabol. C read news >>