#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

Jon Jones nearly left one of his big toes in the Octagon on Saturday night in spite of an otherwise dominant victory over Chael Sonnen in the UFC 159 main event.

Shortly after the light heavyweight title headliner concluded, Sherdog.com’s Jon Gelber confirmed with the cage-side physician that Jones’ injury was an open fracture dislocation, meaning that bone was exposed. A host of images and videos now appearing online also verify that fact.

The injury leaves the UFC light heavyweight champion in a state of uncertainty, as it is unclear how long such an injury will take to mend. Nevertheless, Jones is already viewing the forthcoming rehabilitation process as an opportunity to grow.

“When the fight was over, I saw blood. Then, I looked closer and realized that my toe was pretty much upside down, but it’s all good,” Jones told Fox Sports following his win at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. “I was planning on working harder in my off season and doing things even better and cleaner, and this is going to give me a great reason to do that, rehabbing my big toe -- not only getting it back to strength, but making it even stronger than it was before. A [broken] big toe isn’t going to slow me down.”

Jones, who finished Sonnen with just 27 seconds remaining in the first round, said he was unable to remember exactly when the injury took place. However, the champion was readily able to recall the physical sensation of the event.

“I was springing forward, and I felt a pop. I thought my foot got caught in a hole,” said Jones. “I had that happen at Jackson’s [MMA]. We had a little hole in our floor canvas, and I stuck my big toe in there. It was fine, but I said, ‘Coach, you gotta get that fixed, because it’s pretty dangerous.’ I thought that was the scenario here tonight.”

Following the bout, fans and media postulated what would have occurred had Sonnen survived Jones’ onslaught of ground-and-pound to see a second round. While it is likely that the cageside doctor would have halted the action and a no-contest would have been rendered, Jones said that he would have continued to compete if possible.

“Honestly, with the coaching staff I have, I don’t think my coaches would have allowed me to dwell on [the toe] too much,” said Jones. “I think they would have tried twisting on it and [they would have made] me go back out there. That’s the name of the game. I try to live like a warrior, and unless I go through crazy stuff, I’ll never know how much of a warrior I can be.”

With his victory over Sonnen, Jones tied Tito Ortiz’s record for successful light heavyweight title defenses. Should Jones pick up a victory in his next outing, he would alone hold the record with six defenses of the belt. While much will surely ride upon that contest when it is booked, Jones seems more concerned with healing his body than with calling out future challengers.

“I’m not going to [call out someone]. Tonight is a great night for me. I’m just going to be grateful for what I’ve achieved tonight and let everybody else rest easy,” said Jones. “I don’t know the extent of this injury, but I will be taking it seriously and doing everything I can to rehab it and make sure I’m 100 percent before getting back in there. I think I have a great thing going, and there’s no need to rush and not heal myself properly.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic didn't know UFC planned Jon Jones fight, wants better contract

Stipe Miocic simply wants to get paid what he feels is right as the UFC heavyweight champion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

UFC Commentator Joe Rogan Says Jon Jones Is the 'No. 1 F--kup of All Time'

Last week hosted one of the biggest combat sports extravaganzas of all time, but it wasn't all fun and games. There was a dark cloud hanging over those festivities in the form of the announcement tha read news >>

CSAC executive director: UFC champ Jon Jones situation 'doesn't make any sense'

Why would Jon Jones fail a pre-fight drug test that he knew about while passing two surprise tests weeks earlier? Could a tainted supplement really be to blame, or did he take one thing thinking it w read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam's Zabit Magomedsharipov calls out Artem Lobov, who responds immediately

Artem Lobov isn’t one to back down from a fight, even if he already has one booked.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Passed UFC 214 Drug Test 24 Hours After Positive Test

New details reportedly emerged Friday regarding Jon Jones' drug test following his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, citing multiple sources, reported Jones passed a read news >>

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes keeps focus on UFC 215 title fight as Hurricane Irma threatens South Florida home

Amanda Nunes isn’t sure she’ll be able to return to her South Florida home after UFC 215 in Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw responds to Johnson-Borg UFC 215 scratch – with emojis

At least one person isn’t broken up about the loss of the UFC 215 main event between champ Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>