#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

alexander-gustafsson-9.jpgIn the buildup to next week’s UFC 165, the promotion is selling title challenger Alexander Gustafsson as champ Jon Jones‘ physical equal, if not his combative one.

A promo for the event implies that Gustafsson’s 6-foot-5 stature is key to his credibility as a light heavyweight contender.

What the clip doesn’t reveal is the relative reach of Jones and Gustafsson, which isn’t exactly a useless stat in breaking down the fight. Jones’ wingspan is measured at 84.5 inches (the longest in the UFC), while Gustafsson’s is 76.5. As with most of his fights, it appears the champ could eat a sandwich on one side of the octagon and jab and kick his foe on the other.

But that’s if you believe everything you read on the Internet.

Gustafsson corrected MMAjunkie.com on the figure widely reported to be his reach.

“My reach is not 76.5,” he said during a conference call in support of UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. “It’s 81.2. I just wanted to mention that.”

But regardless of the rogue biographers within the UFC and on Wikipedia, Gustafsson isn’t convinced that a reach disadvantage will play much of a part in the title fight, which headlines the event’s pay-per-view card.

“It’s not always about reach,” he said. “It’s about footwork. It’s about being fast, getting in and out. I’m really making sure I’ve done my homework there. I’m super motivated.”

Reach, however, isn’t the only deficit Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is running against Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC). According to FightMetric, the UFC’s official statistics providers, he is a less accurate striker, landing 36 percent to Jones’ 53. He also absorbs more strikes per minute than Jones (2.29 to 1.44).

On the other hand, the challenger lands a fraction more significant strikes per minute than the champ (3.98 to 3.94).

Asked about the necessity of closing the distance to score, Gustafsson simply said, “I will win this fight by staying on the outside.”

But that’s Jones’ idea, too.

“I just believe that I use my reach better,” he said. “If you watch my fights and you watch Alexander’s fights, he gets hit a lot with a lot of different punches.

“With me, I’ve gone through some fights where fighters have only punched me once. I mean, I fought (Quinton) ‘Rampage’ Jackson, and he hit me, like, twice in the whole fight. Lyoto Machida was able to touch my face twice in the whole fight.

“(I’m) fighting against the best guys in the world, and a lot of them never even get a chance to punch me in the face throughout the fight. So I just believe I use my timing, my rhythm, my distance a lot better than him. I think the proof is in the pudding.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Alexander Gustafsson)

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Alexander Gustafsson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 Win Over Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones is in hot water…again. Jones has been notified of a potential doping violation by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) for a drug test that was administered in competition on July 28 fo read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Tested Positive for Steroids in UFC 214, Stripped of Title

Jon Jones' reign as the UFC light heavyweight champion appears to be over after less than a month. TMZ Sports reported Tuesday that Jones tested positive for Turinabol and has been stripped of his ti read news >>

Twitter reacts to stunning news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids in wake of UFC 214

Check out how the MMA community reacted to the stunning news of Jon Jones’ latest positive drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Positive Steroids Test Before UFC 214 Win

UFC star Jon Jones reportedly tested positive for Turinabol, an anabolic steroid, prior to his UFC 214 win over Daniel Cormier, according to TMZ Sports. Brett Okamoto of ESPN confirmed the news, alth read news >>

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky to Address Jon Jones UFC Anti-Doping Violation at 10:45p ET | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White and Jeff Novitsky, the UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance, are holding a Jon Jones press conference, Tuesday at 10:45p ET. read news >>

Jon Jones' Team Releases Statement Following Failed Drug Test from UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following news that he failed a drug test administered ahead of his fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 214, Jon Jones and his team released a statement on Tuesday night. UFC officials confirmed that Jo read news >>

Daniel Cormier Responds After Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier has experienced a roller coaster of emotions over the past few weeks. The former light heavyweight champion suffered only the second loss of his professional fighting career at UFC 214 read news >>

Jon Jones' pre-UFC 214 tweet on Daniel Cormier, steroids and excuses is not a good look

This Jon Jones tweet did not play out well all things considered.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Mark Hunt Calls Jon Jones a 'Cheating Ass Loser' After Failed Drug Test

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt blasted Jon Jones on Tuesday after UFC president Dana White announced that Jones failed a drug test prior to his UFC 214 fight against Daniel Cormier. According to TMZ Sport read news >>